December Great Deals Thread!! *READTHIS>>>NoSpamAllowed!!<<READTHIS*

Mazi Bee

• Members
I think this has been mentioned before, but is worth another plug. First Act has discontinued their Sheena's and is currently blowing out their 2 pickup, setneck version for $99 + less than $8 shipping.

10-569-Everything_ProductPrimaryImage-th

http://shop.firstact.com/PublicStore/(S(kfz50p4500rsil45gxloar55))/product/CE2400002-Sheena-CE240-Blue,569,127.aspx

Thanks for the review! My fiance ordered one of these for me for Xmas. I can't wait to get it. :thu:

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Actually, *I* don't mind at all... but I can think of some possible negatives associated with pulling a long, camouflage case out of the back of a vehicle if agents of the local constabulary happen to be watching. I'm in suburban DC. Could get exciting.

Heehee, good point- here in South Carolina no one would bat an eye... there's gotta be a redneck joke in there somewhere.

Verne, thanks for the review. I am SO tempted by the Sheena... but I would have to commit to keeping it forever because I am afraid of the resale value because of the First Act name... If they have some later in the week and I get rid of a couple I have on the block, I might have to jump in.

• Members

Heehee, good point- here in South Carolina no one would bat an eye... there's
gotta
be a redneck joke in there somewhere.

Verne, thanks for the review. I am SO tempted by the Sheena... but I would have to commit to keeping it forever because I am afraid of the resale value because of the First Act name... If they have some later in the week and I get rid of a couple I have on the block, I might have to jump in.

I understand your concern. Nevertheless, any player who picked it up and played it would be more than willing to take it off of your hands for $99, even if they only kept it as a beater (and I'd almost bet that it would become more than that). Heck, if you let them hear it, you could probably sell just the pickups for $99! (in the interest of full disclosure, my Sheena is still on its way via the brown truck. BUT I already have a VE591 and if IT's pickups are any indication, I stand quite confidently behind everything I just said!)

• Members

These are GREAT. Lightweight, but well made. I doubt it would stand up to a forklift, but neither will a regular case. It affords at least, if not better protection than your average rectangular hard case.

I agree, I actually like these kind of cases better than a standard hard rectangular case.

I don't really care for the camo, and don't need another stand, but what the heck, with the shipping code, 30. shipped? I had to grab one.

• Members

M123 20% cash back on Gift Certificates:

Buy A Gift Certificate - Get 20% Cash Back!

From Monday, December 15 through Friday, December 19, 2008, 11:59 p.m. PT, buy Music123 Gift Certificates, enter code M123GC20 at checkout, and on December 25 we'll email you* a cash back coupon good for 20% of their total value.** That's FREE money

• Members

I forgot to mention the machines are great and the thing sustains forever. Sustains better than any other guitar I've ever played. Build is on a par with my CIJ Fender Aerodyne Tele and Hagstrom Viking. Stock pups are better than the stock pups in both of those.

First Act suffers from, in marketing parlance, the "line extension trap." Their primary business is selling through Toys R Us, etc., but they also have their higher end and custom shop lines which few know about. Even Danelectro, whose business model they seem to have adopted, understood this and created their Coral brand to sell higher end gear. Not FA - so most people equate FA with cheap crap. I hope to get a chance to chat with FA at NAMM about this.

As far as the Sheena goes, I believe this guitar will be very desirable in the years ahead - collectible for it's looks and sought after for it's playability and tone. That's why I bought a second one. After I check it over, it's going straight into the closet where it will wait for its day in the sun. I also plan on retiring my Aerodyne Tele and Rickenbacker 650 to the closet as this Sheena and my Hag cover those territories so I can save wear on those.

• Members

Picked up 2 cases and some other stuff to come up to $100 at MF. Don't forget code: THNX is good for $20 off of a $100 purchase.

If only I could find a way to use that code and the gift certificate from a few weeks back... but they both don't seem to jive together well. When using a gift certificate it just ignores the other code for me. Any thoughts?

• Members
Picked up 2 cases and some other stuff to come up to $100 at MF. Don't forget code:
THNX
is good for $20 off of a $100 purchase.

If only I could find a way to use that code and the gift certificate from a few weeks back... but they both don't seem to jive together well. When using a gift certificate it just ignores the other code for me. Any thoughts?

FUUUUUU........

:facepalm:

• Members
Just looked at the Gator cases out of curiosity to see if we bought them all out yet - they're still showing them in stock, but, they are no longer including the free stand (still a good deal though).

Music123 is still showing the free stands.

I just ordered two :facepalm:

• Members
M123 20% cash back on Gift Certificates:

Buy A Gift Certificate - Get 20% Cash Back!

From Monday, December 15 through Friday, December 19, 2008, 11:59 p.m. PT, buy Music123 Gift Certificates, enter code M123GC20 at checkout, and on December 25 we'll email you* a cash back coupon good for 20% of their total value.** That's FREE money

• Members

I can think of worse ways to spend $50.....

The problem is that this is from First Act's garbage line. There are three distinct First Act Lines:

The luthier-made one-offs from their boutique in Boston: Excellent guitars costing $2000 and up.

The SFA line, mass produced in China, but to quality standards, and originally intended to sell for $300-600. These are the guitars that are getting clearanced for around $100-200 and which people have been raving about (e.g. the Sheena).

The low end, low quality, mass produced lines made for WalMart/ToysRUs/etc. Although you find an OK one, these are very problematic, with all the quality control issues and inferior materials issues you expect from cheapo guitars made to retail for around $100 or less.

The problem here is that First Act hasn't differentiated their lines with different sub-brands. That's a big reason why, e.g., the very worthy SFA lines aren't selling.

In any even, the WalMart/Kmart/ToysRUs First Act guitars are by-and-large not even worth $50.

Archived