Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bohemian Rhapsody - Who's seen it and how was it?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke17 View Post
    One thing I learned about Queen recently was that John Deacon came up with that infectious bass line for ‘Another one Bites the Dust’ and in the movie it shows Brian and Rogers less than enthusiastic approval of the line as being ‘Disco’

From what I recently read ( this is open to conjecture) was that John Deacon was influenced by R&B and came up with that line with that particular genre in mind.
    Yeah, it was primarily this song that influenced him:

The movie was not 100% historically accurate, but I really enjoyed it.

Elson TrinidadSinger, Songwriter, Keyboardist, BassistElson and the Soul BarkadaWeb: www.elsongs.comMySpace: www.myspace.com/elsongsFacebook: Facebook PageTwitter: twitter.com/elsongs

Comment

The movie and cast scored some big moments at the Golden Globes Awards.

Rami had a great Speech about dear Freddie...at the end he kissed the award, held it up and said ‘This is for and because of you, Gorgeous!’

I did see the Movie for a second time as I said I would...and in I-Max.
      Last edited by Luke17; 01-08-2019, 03:55 PM.

Comment

It's interesting the winning film only got lukewarm reviews from the "critics," but audiences loved it. And it seemed the critics who liked it, really liked it.

I've noticed movies that poke at critics don't get good reviews In Bohemian Rhapsody, there's the montage of negative reviews, and in "The Greatest Showman," one of the undercurrents is that an "everyman" reviewer just doesn't have a clue about what people want to see. I'd like to think reviewers aren't so thin-skinned that it influences how they feel about the movie, but...

Wish I could have seen it in IMAX, but the theater around here was showing some other stupid movie instead. It was still cool in standard, though.
        The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton View Post

I've noticed movies that poke at critics don't get good reviews .
          I gotta go with that too. 👍

Comment

went to see it again this week, and came away with a different take than after the first viewing [I gave it three stars then, and still do].

So focused on Freddie, yet glossed over his later struggles with AIDS to the point where I almost expected he was going to live...
            No mention of Brian May's collapse on their American tour opening for Mott the Hoople...which almost derailed the band.
            So little attention to the well documented infighting that actually made Queen work so well. Oh they showed a little, but it was a constant with them on every album.
            If Deacon was downplayed for comic relief, then I felt Roger Taylor was positively lampooned...'you'd be a dentist'. He was the driving force that kept that band able to move between genres seamlessly...I don't know of many drummers who can play that many styles so well.
            All four members are in the Songwriter Hall of Fame, but the film didn't bother mentioning that at the end.
            "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

I saw it one night last week "under the stars" on-board the Caribbean Princess while we sailed between Colon, Panama and Limon, Coasta Rica. Overall I thought it was pretty good but I always hate how they ignore facts for story line and drama. The character playing Freddie did real well but I thought the Brian May character often appeared to be on the verge of having an orgasm.
              Last edited by ggm1960; 01-15-2019, 05:56 PM.

Comment

I don't get emotional most instances with a movie, but I caught some years maybe BC I leave out the band or perhaps the manner his lifestyles turned into. I thought the the tale line was spot on !!!! I also loved Queen.

Comment

I watched it on the plane flying home from the NAMM show. I've certainly heard of, and heard Queen, but not being a fan I didn't know anything about their history. I wonder how accurate the history as depicted in the film was. I didn't realize that Bohemian Rhapsody (the song) was a flop when it was released - I heard it plenty on the radio, but that's probably a sign of what kind of radio stations I listen to.

I don't watch many movies, but I thought that the acting in this one was excellent - everyone was believable, and I hope that in real life, Freddie and Brian were as good as they were portrayed in the movie. I'd like to have seen them in a club.
                  --
                  "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
                  Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Comment

Mike - Sorry you were limited to the sound fidelity of an airline venue. I guess I was mostly into the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac during that time period, but I just saw the movie and definitely give it multiple thumbs up.
                    My Web Site - Tunes - Pictures - Guitar Projects - Native American Style Flute Projects - Hard Rock Cafe Guitar Pins
                    My Eclectic YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Leites View Post
                      Mike - Sorry you were limited to the sound fidelity of an airline venue.
                      It's not like one of those theaters with the La-Z-Boy seats (I haven't been to a theater in years), that's for sure. I don't listen to music for enjoyment on headphones except when I'm on a plane, train, or bus, and then it's usually old hillbilly, blues, or jazz music recorded pre-1940, so fidelity isn't a big issue. I have a set of Audio Technica noise cancelling headphones so that helps a lot on a plane.

Really, I was watching the movie and the music was just part of it. I might have enjoyed it a bit more if I was listening on good speakers, but given that much of the music in the film was either recorded live or made to sound like it was, you don't need too high fidelity for that.

--
                      "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
                      Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Comment

I thoroughly enjoyed. Mostly for the performance clips, and how it showed Freddie's love of cats lol. I wish it had shown more of Freddie's formative years with his formal music training, and the drama for the final Live Aid concert scene was overdone IMO so far as showing uncertainty about how Freddie was going to do, I can't see any hint of shakiness in the actual footage. But of course, it's a movie.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeRivers View Post
                          I watched it on the plane flying home from the NAMM show. I've certainly heard of, and heard Queen, but not being a fan I didn't know anything about their history. I wonder how accurate the history as depicted in the film was. I didn't realize that Bohemian Rhapsody (the song) was a flop when it was released - I heard it plenty on the radio, but that's probably a sign of what kind of radio stations I listen to.

I don't watch many movies, but I thought that the acting in this one was excellent - everyone was believable, and I hope that in real life, Freddie and Brian were as good as they were portrayed in the movie. I'd like to have seen them in a club.

Bohemian Rhapsody wasn't a flop when it was released. It was a huge hit. But the critics didn't like it, which was what the movie portrayed.

The critics never liked Queen, and they didn't like this movie either. F' the critics, I say!

The history is fairly accurate with the biggest license taken with Freddie telling everyone he had AIDS prior to the Live Aid concert. The truth he is didn't know (or at least didn't tell the band) for a couple of years later. He WAS ill the day of the concert and his doctor advised he not perform so as not to damage his throat. Whether that was AIDS related or not, I'm not sure anyone knows for sure. Lots of controversy among fans about the dramatic license taken with that.

Also, some of the dates of when the songs are shown to be written or performed are not correct. For example, the movie implies that "We Will Rock You" was written around 1980 when Freddie had the short-hair look of the "Another One Bites The Dust" period. Even looks like those two songs might have been on the same album. WWRY is from 1978.

I'm a big fan of the band but had no problem with that stuff. But I also understand that certain sacrifices have to be made so a movie can flow well.

And yes, Freddie and Brian were as good as they were portrayed.

Comment

Originally posted by guido61 View Post

Bohemian Rhapsody wasn't a flop when it was released. It was a huge hit. But the critics didn't like it, which was what the movie portrayed.

The critics never liked Queen, and they didn't like this movie either. F' the critics, I say!

The history is fairly accurate with the biggest license taken with Freddie telling everyone he had AIDS prior to the Live Aid concert. The truth he is didn't know (or at least didn't tell the band) for a couple of years later. He WAS ill the day of the concert and his doctor advised he not perform so as not to damage his throat. Whether that was AIDS related or not, I'm not sure anyone knows for sure. Lots of controversy among fans about the dramatic license taken with that.

Also, some of the dates of when the songs are shown to be written or performed are not correct. For example, the movie implies that "We Will Rock You" was written around 1980 when Freddie had the short-hair look of the "Another One Bites The Dust" period. Even looks like those two songs might have been on the same album. WWRY is from 1978.

I'm a big fan of the band but had no problem with that stuff. But I also understand that certain sacrifices have to be made so a movie can flow well.

And yes, Freddie and Brian were as good as they were portrayed.
                            WWRY is actually from 1977

Certified manic depressive who used to write songs

Comment

Maybe I was an odd man out - but I loved Queen - then and still love the music now. But I don't pigeon hole myself into one genre of music typically either.
                              D
                              Keeping the Harmony at Harmony Central

Comment

I have always loved them...I really enjoyed seeing them fronted by Paul Rodgers IMO one of the best vocalist in Rock with a magical stage presence.
                                Last edited by Luke17; 02-20-2019, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X