I bought a Gibson J45

Gary Blanchard

• Members

:eek2:

I worked my way into it by getting an Epiphone Masterbuilt copy; I liked it but it still wasn't giving me the sound I wanted. This semester the college gave me an extra class to teach so I decided to invest that money into my first ever quality guitar.

My wife was amazed by the sound quality, and I was amazed by that and the ease of playing it as well. The guitar is lighter than the Lunas I was playing, and this does not have the black-box electronics or cutaway that I really prefer to avoid. Here's a crappy cell phone photo.

Now the Epiphone is my open tuning guitar. :D

969e5e4eb4179a3cb1584cb977543cc5.thumb.jpg.c7fe5af5531c6c6f4497edab9c1f83da.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
The guitar I first seriously started learning on was a borrowed J-45. They can be amazing... I was sent one to try out a few years ago (I was reviewing the pickup system that was built into it) and it knocked me out too.

Congratulations on the very nice new guitar! :philthumb:

Was that the LR Baggs Element?

My buddy had an Element system in a Martin and it was nice.

• Members
40+ years of touching J45's and coming away confused by the love they get' date=' the saga continues. Enjoy yours, Gary. It has to be The One I haven't played yet.[/quote']There's something about their sound. I think they really compliment vocals well because they don't have all of the strong ringy mids that are usually associated with "great" acoustics to fight with the vocal. I wouldn't instinctively grab one for solo fingerstyle or lead if there was a Dove or Hummingbird handy.

There's something about their sound. I think they really compliment vocals well because they don't have all of the strong ringy mids that are usually associated with "great" acoustics to fight with the vocal. I wouldn't instinctively grab one for solo fingerstyle or lead if there was a Dove or Hummingbird handy.

And yet most of the classic fingerstyle accompaniment stuff from James Taylor was done on a J-45.

• Members

Thanks, guys. I first played a J-45 in 1967 or so and really wanted one, but could never afford one. Over the years I have lusted after a Martin, a Guild, and the Gibson. Recent experiences have found me disappointed with the Martins and Guilds that I tried; the Gibson hit that sweet spot for me. It is all a matter of individual taste, I am sure, but I am glad I found "my" guitar. Here is a picture taken at my November 20th show. The Gibson on the right, the Epiphone Masterbuilt center for open D tuning, and a Vintage Summer of Love electric for the hell of it. :D

a17e9871bbb1cfd8ac9458f4aa0c83fd.thumb.jpg.6ee824d710c28ad162a1fc53976dad62.jpg

• Members
Hey Mr. Blanchard, sir, now that that bootiful guitar is a couple of weeks old how do you like it?

I really love it. I did a concert November 20; it was my first time playing out with it. It is a joy to play and sounded great plugged in to my Fishman SA220 PA. It has the look, feel, and sound that I have always wanted. I couldn't be happier with it.

• Members

I really love it. I did a concert November 20; it was my first time playing out with it. It is a joy to play and sounded great plugged in to my Fishman SA220 PA. It has the look, feel, and sound that I have always wanted. I couldn't be happier with it.

I have a done a lot of solo shows with a Fishman Solo Amp ( mine is one of the early Solo Amps). Anyway. If by chance you want to get a nice pre amp to go between the guitar and SA 220, give the Fishman Spectra DI a whirl. I have been using one since they came out and it will really make that set up shine.

They used to be $299, but the went up about 50 bucks over the years.

They have plenty of fancy mics to choose from, and you can down load more mics from there website.

You could also send you Gibson to Fishman and they will tweak and sample you guitar with the mic of your choice. :D

I was very happy with the options that came with the Spectra DI.

I hate the tuner on the thing, but it's there.

DSC_5358_jansberg.png

Archived