Favourite pickups for an SG?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite pickups for an SG?

thinking about trying a different set of humbuckers in my SG faded

Gibson '57 Classics. I'm sure not gonna second guess Derek Trucks.

Comment

Seth Lovers
      Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

Comment

The only SG I owned was an 1965 Standard I bought used around 1974. It had its original PAF's which sounded killer. To my best recollection, It didn't have the full Vibrato, It had the harp piece but was non vibrato like the one in the second photo. I do remember the neck being huge, almost the size a 12 string neck. Not sure if it was a 25.5" scale either but I do remember it was a bastard to play with my hand size, but the tone from the pickups made it worth it.

Comment

• jtr654
          jtr654 commented
          Editing a comment
          PAF were long gone in 65 they must have been T tops.

• pekelnik
          pekelnik commented
          Editing a comment
          Neither - from 1965 the pickups would have "Patent No. ...." sticker on them and they would be more similar to PAFs than T-tops. (And better sounding than T tops)

I have a '62 RI with Tim Shaws (I think) in it. If they're not Tim Shaws, then they're T-tops. Anywho, the bridge and middle sounds are my favorite humbucker sounds in the world right now.
        "You be me for awhile, and I'll be you."

Comment

For the neck, I loved the original one. Bridge, I went with a Duncan P-Rails, and loved it. But to me, the only reason to own an SG, is the neck position.
          My Music: www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=440762
          Some of my guitars: 64 or so Domino Beatle bass; 73 Ibanez 2398; 79 Epiphone Genesis; 79 Manoman; 99 Ric 330; 78 Gibson L6S; 95 Ibanez JS-700; 04 Samick Lasalle JZ3: 05 Ibanez AS73; 81 Paul Custom, 07 Gary Kramer Simulator T and about 50 others.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant Harding View Post
            My suggestion too. Great all around pups.
            Listen...

Comment

T Tops .

Comment

I have a couple of SG. The standard I bought new in 1980. I'm not sure what it has in it for pickups, I have heard that have something called Tar Backs. I have also heard they were the 490 and 498. I really have no idea, but it sound good.

It's been with me for 37 years.

Note the out put jack in on the side, and it has the larger headstock.

Click image for larger version

Name:	126709
Views:	2
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	32055234

The classic has P90's

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

Unfortunately my SG was modded when I got it [fugly, but functional]. It has a DiMarzio PAF at the neck and a DiMarzio Super Distortion at the bridge. It is a Norlin era, ~1971, and looks like it had soapbars originally. I'm not crazy about the Bridge SD p-up unless the tone is rolled off, but that DiM PAF is sweet and warm. An old friend has a '69 SG with P90s, and he wanted to change them out, until I demo'd them for him with a good tube amp [all he had was a little Gorilla SS practice amp], now he understands the P90 'gestalt'...
                  "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
                  "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

That's what came stock in my 2013 SG Standard, and I've never felt the need to swap them out for anything else. I love 'em!

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

This. Ridiculous tone.

Comment

P-90s. Like my 'Classic.'
                        "The Philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it."

Karl Marx

Comment

Forgot about Fralin's P92s. Goldang do those things sound good... Makes the neck pickup way more useable for me than humbuckers, and the bridge just snarls!
                          "You be me for awhile, and I'll be you."

Comment

Working...
                          X