what was your first serious guitar?

mbengs1

• Members

My mom bought me an MIM Fender Strat in 2004. I hated it because I wanted a Rickenbacker, but didn't realize that a MIM was much more affordable. I didn't get heavy into playing and practicing until I got my Gibson SG Special Faded the next year. I did buy a Gibson L6-S in mid-2005, which led me to wanting more Gibsons. I still have the body for the Strat. A friend of mine has the SG, which is all but worn out. The L6-S ended up overpriced on Chicago Music Exchange after I traded it for a couple of things in 2012.

Right now, I have my Rickenbacker 620/12, Fender Telecaster Deluxe, Epiphone Les Paul Custom MIK, and an Epiphone SG Deluxe MIK.

• Members

My first guitar was given to me....it was a Telecaster copy (but not as thick) and it didn't have a brand name or model number on it....totally generic.....I found out later the body was made out of plywood (that can't be good for sustain)......it played pretty good and everything worked right.....when I play Telecasters now, they just don't feel right....I like the feel of Strats the best....even better than my Les Paul but I like the sound of the Les Paul a lot more....

My friend's Jackson Pro plays way better than my Strats....I'm sure I'll have to buy one.....wonderful fingerboard.....soooooo easy to play.....he doesn't have a Floyd Rose on his but I want one on mine when I buy it.....it's too bad that Floyd Roses are so stiff compared to the tremolo on my Strats but the Strats won't stay in tune if you are aggressive with it....they seem to stay in tune pretty well if you just use it for mellow vibrato.....my Floyd Rose on my Les Paul stays in tune perfectly regardless of how abusive I am with it but it is very stiff by comparison....

I set up my Strats so the vibrato is slightly off the body and I only use 3 springs.....they work pretty well for mellow vibrato......I know Fender says you're supposed to use Bullets with those vibratos but I never do (the bullets fit precisely in the cavities).....I use Dean Markleys and they seem to work fine (.009's)....sometimes I use Ernie Ball Super Slinkies too (same gauge).....

• Members

My first remotely decent guitar was an Alvarez 5020, a "folk" or 000 size acoustic with a 12 fret neck and slotted headstock. It was my third guitar in about two years of playing. I still don't have a "good" electric; my first and only electric is my Fernandes Strat.

• Members
After playing some Squier Bullet Strats, the one I pieced together myself:

Stratmod2tc_zps88e77bb0.jpg?t=1417828920

I see what you did there ;) That's pretty cool, btw.

Teisco

My first guitar was a Norma, which is a rebranded Teisco. 3/4 scale, one gold foil pickup in the worst place possible, 17 frets, iffy intonation, volume and tone knobs busted off...

The first amp was Dad's stereo when he wasn't home. The second one was a mobile practice amp called a "G Blaster" that some guy gave to me as a pile of parts for a bowl of weed.

It's a wonder I stuck with it.

• Members

Wow, sorry to hear about your loss. Mine was a sixties model as well - bought used in about 68 - from a classified ad. I don't know how a twelve year old kid deserved such a cool amp - my guess is that cheap SS amps either didn't exist or my parents didn't know about them. In any event, my parents sold both items out from under me (with no notification) when I went away to college.

• Members
Kramer Pacer. But I didn't discover great tone until I was 18 and bought my Hamer Special P90' date=' coupled with my HS graduation present, a Laney ProTube Lead 100 half stack.[/quote']

I played an old Kramer Pacer at the Guitar Center this weekend. The strings were black and so dead I couldn't quite figure out what the little flippy switch did for the bridge HB, but feel-wise and playability-wise I thought it was a pretty happenin' guitar. I realize that they were a bit of a 'standard' in the 80s, and I can see why.

Meanwhile, I love those old Laneys :)

Archived