• Members
I think that all depends on what one considers
great jazz
;)

I think the problem here is that successful internet forums
do
develop local culture -- and that is a
necessary process
-- or they will die and/or become dumping grounds for spam.

You may have seen the recent news item on an analysis that showed that well over 90% of the
"user content"
on the web is spam and malware. Spam is like kudzu vines. It
will
take over if the locals don't keep it at bay. And it
will
choke off all other life eventually.

A successful forum develops a community that has sets of overlapping interests -- but typically
no one
is there just to be a receiver of someone else's self-promotion.

And, typically, forums that are open to or cater to self-promotion
quickly
turn into forums filled with threads with
one
original post and
no
responses... save the occasional
You rock, dude! Now click here to listen to...

nice.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

IMO...opening guitar groove is catchy...but I find it difficult to believe that's all you came up with after years of production in your bedroom...

Years of 'production' in my bedroom resulted in a beautiful daughter and two commercially successful songs.

So, not to lose focus, my Plebian suggestion to you would be take the musical blinders off...lose the ego.... and as they say in Pre-school Idiom,...'learn to play well with others'

This first point I actually think is valid. My roommate said to me is "it's so weird for me to listen to this song as the one you release, when you play original music 10x better on a daily basis."

I wrote this song probably 3 years ago. I produced it with about $300 worth of equipment and no audio training.. so from a composition standpoint this is a primitive work. I put a lot into the drum sequences and ensuring that the parts came through correctly.

That said, I still stand by the performance and I love the song for what it is. Just because I can (and do) write more compositionally intricate pieces doesn't mean I should (all the time).

• Members

That said, I still stand by the performance and I love the song for what it is. Just because I can (and do) write more compositionally intricate pieces doesn't mean I should (all the time).

Well, that's all well and good.

But tossing something like that song out as your "debut" to the world would (and did) leave most people saying "wtf"?

• Members

Just curious, did you listen to the whole song?

Yes I did, hence the "Weather Channel" comparison.

Everything about it was kind of monotonous...from the progression to the wanky bits on the end.

There was no dynamic to any of it...it was completely monolithic.

Another board on HC, that I hang out on, gets "check out my band/song" posts all the time.

Much of the stuff is pretty bad, but when something really good comes along, you'll find that the kudos are plentiful.

(edit: A couple of weeks ago, a complete noob offered up his band's music on Backstage With the Band - it was some of the most awesome progressive rock I've heard in years...most of us that listened now own either this guy's physical CD or album download, it was that good.)

The resum

• Members

I just wrote a long post, but it got eaten by the internet :mad:

Anyway, it's a tough crowd, but so are labels, booking agents, clubs, etc. It is considered gauche to come into a forum and immediately start self-promoting, regardless of your intentions. There are thousands of people who say "listen to my music," and you haven'tmdifferentiated yourself from them.

For example, suppose you had come into the forum for the first time and said "I came up wih a bunch of synth patches for a song I wrote, and thought I'd share them. They're attached to this post in a zip file. If you want to hear them in action, check out the song as www.lala[whatever].com. I hope you enjoy the patches and the music, and if you have comments on either, I'm all ears."

See? You start off by contributing something, and asking nothing in return. I bet you would have gotten a lot more people interested in your music with that kind of tactic.

Anyway, I did listen to the entire tune. Up to 2:50 is sounded like a rhythm track waiting for something to happen. At 2:50 I got hopeful when the guitar kicked in - I liked the tone and the bending. But before it could actually get emotional, it de-evolved into a flurry of notes - not John Coltrane "sheets of sound" flurries, but "warming up fingers before gig" flurries. So the bottom line is, I wouldn't listen to it again because I got no emotional impact from it.

• Members
What do you think of this Pringle?

pringles.jpg

:D

I actually chatted with the OP a bit. He seems a nice enough young guy. Operative word being "young", which gets you forgiven a lot more easily than a guy my or Ken's or Lukenskywalker's age would be under similar circumstances.

I`m glad you didn`t include my name in that motley crew...:lol:

• Members
Yes I did, hence the "Weather Channel" comparison.

Everything about it was kind of monotonous...from the progression to the wanky bits on the end.

There was no
dynamic
to any of it...it was completely monolithic.

Another board on HC, that I hang out on, gets "check out my band/song" posts all the time.

Much of the stuff is pretty bad, but when something really good comes along, you'll find that the kudos are plentiful.

(edit: A couple of weeks ago, a complete noob offered up his band's music on Backstage With the Band - it was some of the most awesome progressive rock I've heard in years...most of us that listened now own either this guy's physical CD or album download, it was
that
good.)

The resum

• Members
And, typically, forums that are open to or cater to self-promotion
quickly
turn into forums filled with threads with
one
original post and
no
responses... save the occasional
You rock, dude! Now click here to listen to...

And of course the bump......bump.......bump..........bump!:lol:

• Moderators

I just want to say...

I'm not crazy about some of this piling on mentality. The old cliche about "brutal honesty". The part where the one being "Brutally honest" is clearly enjoying the brutal part more than the honest part.

And the initial response from Jeff... what's up with that man?

I'll be brutally honest, you guys are better than this.

• Members

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that while all criticisms are valid, you guys are pretty much stuck in groupthink and are afraid to have an original thought.

It's hilarious for people to keep claiming that there is no emotion in this song. When I was at berklee this summer, I performed this song live with a backing track for a guitar showcase I got a standing ovation from judges Mark White (ala Joe Pass fame) and Joe Stump (shred-aholic). I was literally almost in tears at the end because I had invested so much emotionally.

In any event, keep up with the brutal honesty if you feel the need, although I'm inclined to think that most of this is a product of the beehive effect and that your opinion of me is overshadowed by my brash young ways and attitude.

• Members

[...] if you like it buy it.. if you don't like it, buy it.

Lee, the guy came into this forum apparently with only one thing on his mind, to put up links to his iTune page to try to pimp up some record sales.

He didn't want to contribute to the community. He didn't want to get to know folks. He didn't want to hear our music, expressed no interest in our music or interests -- and I'm pretty positive the last thing on his mind was finding out where to buy our music.

The OP had no apparent interest in this forum or its members except as a place to post free advertising and a place to post a link to his music sales page.

He could have been selling running shoes or mobile phones for all it really matters...

(Most of us wear shoes or have mobiles, right? Probably more than listen to so-called smooth jazz, I'm guessing.)

• Members

In any event, keep up with the brutal honesty if you feel the need, although I'm inclined to think that most of this is a product of the beehive effect and that your opinion of me is overshadowed by my brash young ways and attitude.

Drop the martyr complex, kid.

Just write some better material.

• Moderators

Blue... you have a very civil way of dealing with this over at the songwriter's forum . It seems to work. You've got a copy and paste message and people tend to get it.

I completely understand the mistake the OP made. The initial responses made sense. Then Jeff jumped out with a big {censored} off.

Nice. If this is considered the proper way to deal... no thanks. I'm not looking for a fight or battle but I won't stand by in silent disagreement. I disagree. Not the way to handle it.

Jeff, considering the open field you've been granted here, I figured you'd want to foster a more understanding culture. I understand you've done your time. Still... Maybe the shoe threads have worn you thin. But your restraint is clearly worn thin.

How is this considered cool? Not cool.

• Members

Let's take these one at a time...

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that while all criticisms are valid, you guys are pretty much stuck in groupthink and are afraid to have an original thought.

I've had a few, myself. I suspect a couple of other regulars have, as well. ;)

Heck, if you'd bothered to listen to anyone else's music, you might have found that there's quite a bit of iconoclastic musical thinking going on here. Not saying you'd like it all, of course. Sometimes the appreciation of the art of folks who color outside the lines don't come easily to those from a heavily regimented program designed to turn out commercial musicians. But originality, yeah, there's some of that lurking around here. Maybe you just didn't bother to look, eh?

It's hilarious for people to keep claiming that there is no emotion in this song. When I was at berklee this summer, I performed this song live with a backing track for a guitar showcase I got a standing ovation from judges Mark White (ala Joe Pass fame) and Joe Stump (shred-aholic). I was literally almost in tears at the end because I had invested so much emotionally.

Art is, of course, a two sided proposition. I may invest some of my works with great emotion on my side -- but unless I can communicate that emotion to my audience, the artistic transaction will be frustrated, trapped by a kind of emotional solipsism. Maybe you'll find an audience for your music as it exists now -- or maybe you'll evolve/grow toward a place where the emotionalism you're putting will be communicated to a broader group of people. That's kind of up to you...

Some of us here were brash and young once... it's a self-justification the memory of which in years to come may have you reaching for this icon: :facepalm:

• Members

Well... I find it much easier to be charitable with the powers of life, death, and thread-deletion in my hands. :D

With the awesome power of a moderator comes the awesome responsibility to rise above my native misanthropy and inherent distrust of my fellow humans. Frankly, it's a mantle it's taken me some time to fit myself to and one I still don't always wear with grace or equanimity.

• Members

Art is, of course, a two sided proposition. I may invest some of my works with great emotion on my side -- but unless I can
communicate
that emotion to my audience, the artistic transaction will be frustrated, trapped by a kind of emotional solipsism. Maybe you'll find an audience for your music as it exists now -- or maybe you'll evolve/grow toward a place where the emotionalism you're putting will be communicated to a broader group of people. That's kind of up to you...

Holy {censored}! Someone who has an IQ in the double digits finally said something. I agree with you wholeheartedly.

The only sad thing about this ordeal is that listeners here put up this mental wall before listening removing the potential to be impacted.

Regarding the reviews; I listened to some tunes by a few different artists here, and considering how defensive the majority of you are already, the act of me writing reviews for the most part would not end well. But I'd be more than happy to anyway.

• Members
Blue... you have a very civil way of dealing with this over at the songwriter's forum . It seems to work. You've got a copy and paste message and people tend to get it.

I completely understand the mistake the OP made. The initial responses made sense. Then Jeff jumped out with a big {censored} off.

Nice. If this is considered the proper way to deal... no thanks. I'm not looking for a fight or battle but I won't stand by in silent disagreement. I
disagree.
Not the way to handle it.

Jeff, considering the open field you've been granted here, I figured you'd want to foster a more understanding culture. I understand you've done your time. Still... Maybe the shoe threads have worn you thin. But your restraint is clearly worn thin.

How is this considered cool? Not cool.

+1

Archived