What do you think of this single?

siva115

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey, Craig... I was shocked :eek:(I tell you, shocked) to find this thread break out into some good advice...

And I was impressed enough with the collected wisdom in your several long posts on a career in the music biz that I collected them and posted them in this thread in the Songwriting Forum.

Mind you, I don't agree with everything ("...finding some gorgeous babe to front the band, and auto-tune the hell out of her if she can't sing" -- I say put her in a shimmering mini dress and make her a go go dancer) but it's great to get the benefit of the experience of someone with your long involvement with a lot of different aspects of the biz.

• Members

Don't try to understand the writings and mental direction of old Rudy Von Stinkleshtein there, O' Auspicious One. There is no common theme other than confusion with the odd reference to large boobs in lederhosen squashed between a couple of equally huge steins of foaming lager. Actual country of origin given as ....well, never could work that out but it seems like Swisscheeseerland although there are many references to the Lead Paint Republic of China as well.

There seems to be, and I say so with much humility lest I incur the wrath of the HC Honor Gourd:love::lol:, a certain firewall here that takes a little getting through. I personally am still trying to work my way through it. One thing I can say for sure, never posting any of my musical drivel here....no siree Bob....er Siva One One Five.

You seem to be holding your own, it will be splendid if at the end of it all you turn out to be someone who really wanted to hang and not just a hit and run assassin.:p

Hey about your music. I like what you are trying to do...doing...whatever. I dig the almost sequenced sound of the stereo guitars and compositionally I think you are off to a good start.

I get what guys like Craig have said and don't have much to add other than I understand about getting attention as a guitarist, you have to throw your chops to the wind and see what comes back. I am also a fellow GP Spotlight Column alumni if you will. I thought it would generate a career for me......did I ever mention I hate my dayjob?

Hey buddy, I think the advice is clear....if mostly what you care about is getting picked up as a guitar player, then you should showcase your chops as much as possible and hit up EVERYBODY. I shared guitars in a band with a guy who was merciless with the promo kit.We used to kid him about it. He would pull one out of the huge pile in the trunk of his car for anybody. He baled from the band and went to work with Cameo...did the solo's in Word Up and Candy and toured with them...on to tour with Hall and Oates and is now a huge session player in Nashville. Aggressive marketing is good if you can back it up.

If you want to be a serious writer and go for it from a song/artist viewpoint, then lose the over-use of speedy flash chops and go more for playing super-melodic with the occsional flash deal......which is what Craig was saying and I know you took that to heart.

Good luck. You have good chops, good writing skills and I like what you are doing production-wise, especially considering you did it at home. To me it sounds like a lot of thought went into it. I hear some Carlton, Bill Connors in there. Yeah I liked the release on that bend at about 2:56 in Sound and Light.

Is Mike Varney still doing the Spotlight deal?

• Members

Don't try to understand the writings and mental direction of old Rudy Von Stinkleshtein there, O' Auspicious One. There is no common theme other than confusion with the odd reference to large boobs in lederhosen squashed between a couple of equally huge steins of foaming lager. Actual country of origin given as ....well, never could work that out but it seems like Swisscheeseerland although there are many references to the Lead Paint Republic of China as well.

There seems to be, and I say so with much humility lest I incur the wrath of the HC Honor Gourd:love:
:lol:
, a certain firewall here that takes a little getting through. I personally am still trying to work my way through it. One thing I can say for sure, never posting any of my musical drivel here....no siree Bob....er Siva One One Five.

You seem to be holding your own, it will be splendid if at the end of it all you turn out to be someone who really wanted to hang and not just a hit and run assassin.
:p

Hey about your music. I like what you are trying to do...doing...whatever. I dig the almost sequenced sound of the stereo guitars and compositionally I think you are off to a good start.

I get what guys like Craig have said and don't have much to add other than I understand about getting attention as a guitarist, you have to throw your chops to the wind and see what comes back. I am also a fellow GP Spotlight Column alumni if you will. I thought it would generate a career for me......did I ever mention I hate my dayjob?

Hey buddy, I think the advice is clear....if mostly what you care about is getting picked up as a guitar player, then you should showcase your chops as much as possible and hit up EVERYBODY. I shared guitars in a band with a guy who was merciless with the promo kit.We used to kid him about it. He would pull one out of the huge pile in the trunk of his car for anybody. He baled from the band and went to work with Cameo...did the solo's in Word Up and Candy and toured with them...on to tour with Hall and Oates and is now a huge session player in Nashville. Aggressive marketing is good if you can back it up.

If you want to be a serious writer and go for it from a song/artist viewpoint, then lose the over-use of speedy flash chops and go more for playing super-melodic with the occsional flash deal......which is what Craig was saying and I know you took that to heart.

Good luck. You have good chops, good writing skills and I like what you are doing production-wise, especially considering you did it at home. To me it sounds like a lot of thought went into it. I hear some Carlton, Bill Connors in there. Yeah I liked the release on that bend at about 2:56 in Sound and Light.

i dont think he asked you anything, bonarama :poke:

not the sharpest lad i've seen come through here:facepalm: (note: not directed at Huh?)

• Members

You'll need to petition Lukenskywalker to get into the official SSS Ring of Honor. Send evidence of your military/law enforcement service, which is helpful as a ticket to the Secret Cabal. And whatever you do, do NOT post music! No musician should publicly display their music, or else be prepared to face the horrible consequences.

• Members

You'll need to petition Lukenskywalker to get into the official SSS Ring of Honor. Send evidence of your military/law enforcement service, which is helpful as a ticket to the Secret Cabal. And whatever you do, do NOT post music! No musician should publicly display their music, or else be prepared to face the horrible consequences.

I, like Huh? think my music is drivel,

I do like your music Zak, I told you that quite a few times, yours, and many more of the guys that post on this site.

I hope you will keep on posting it.

I hope the 'new kid' will continue to post his also.

• Members

There seems to be, and I say so with much humility lest I incur the wrath of the HC Honor Gourd:love:
:lol:
, a certain firewall here that takes a little getting through. I personally am still trying to work my way through it. One thing I can say for sure, never posting any of my musical drivel here....no siree Bob....er Siva One One Five.

You seem to be holding your own, it will be splendid if at the end of it all you turn out to be someone who really wanted to hang and not just a hit and run assassin.
:p

Thanks for listening. I'm hearing what you're saying with the marketing/flashiness vs. songwriting and melodic interest. I guess I'm interested in doing both session and original work and my music reflects that.

I constantly feel the push/pull of wanting to show people what I can do to get noticed (by whoever, other musicians, hot girls, labels, etc.) vs. being tasteful.

It might be a problem that I'm trying to cover both idioms... but I'm not ready to say no to either one of them.

And the GP spotlight is done by whoever the editor is.. Michael Molenda I think.

Oh yeah and one last thing: those of you searching out my myspace and listening to the version of Sublimation on there; it's worth noting that this is not the same version that is released. It's not dramatically different but it's not eq'ed as well and the bass performance is completely different.

• Members

Actually, and no negativity or disrespect intended.....in guitar/musical terms 21 is not so young...almost over the hill some might suggest.

You know what is.....I was going to say frightening......not the best word.....but when I was a kid I thought The Rolling Stones, Beatles, Jimi, Tull and later Chicago etc etc etc all bands in between........I thought they were OLD guys at the time!!!!:eek::eek:

I look back on them now in pics and vids and man those cats were YOUNG!!!! Pimples and all!!

I mean look at the really intense writing Chicago was doing, say the 2nd album....pretty intense arrangements, the horn/vocal harmonies etc

So yeah 21...... better pick up the pace there Siva:lol:

• Members
But you shouldn't be judge and jury of that. Post some up, man! I don't feel like I know people here whose music I've never, ever heard. Like, I knew young Mr. Siva better than you after one post!

Zak, I know some of my music is not drivel, I had two commercially successful records a long,long time ago
I just don't have the drive, or passion, or even the slightest inclination, like you and others do to work on music anymore.
That's why I like to listen to music I hear here and elsewhere...I haven't given up on music Per se
I'm still involved in playing out occasionally.
For the record, I know you didn't really mean to denigrate my service/job experience...I think you were shooting from the hip, like I do so often;)

I also know that your initial reaction to Siva's post was a kneejerk thing and you took the time to contact him. That was way cool.:thu:

Tell you what...maybe some time in the future I will send you some of my stuff, you might be suprised...Ernest wants to hear some too.
It's very Salty Nadsy.....

• Members
Actually, and no negativity or disrespect intended.....in guitar/musical terms 21 is not so young...almost over the hill some might suggest.

You know what is.....I was going to say frightening......not the best word.....but when I was a kid I thought The Rolling Stones, Beatles, Jimi, Tull and later Chicago etc etc etc all bands in between........I thought they were OLD guys at the time!!!!
:eek:
:eek:

I look back on them now in pics and vids and man those cats were YOUNG!!!! Pimples and all!!

I mean look at the really intense writing Chicago was doing, say the 2nd album....pretty intense arrangements, the horn/vocal harmonies etc

So yeah 21...... better pick up the pace there Siva:lol:

When I was 21, I could barely tune my $18 guitar.

• Members
I also know that your initial reaction to Siva's post was a kneejerk thing and you took the time to contact him. That was way cool.
:thu:

I'd take the credit, but it's undue; he contacted me, actually. I still don't believe in trying to use one's first post on a forum to sell things to the people of the forum. Siva did not, I promise you, come here with the plan of being a member of our community, and the jury's is still very much out as to whether he will continue as such. We'll see. I think we've done a good job of forcing his hand a little. :)

• Members
I'd take the credit, but it's undue; he contacted me, actually. I still don't believe in trying to use one's first post on a forum to sell things to the people of the forum. Siva did not, I promise you, come here with the plan of being a member of our community, and the jury's is still very much out as to whether he will continue as such. We'll see. I think we've done a good job of forcing his hand a little.
:)

Oh, so he came to YOU...tissue box in vaselined hand:lol:

So he didn't really want to be a part of our friendly, connivial, group?

Little Bastard:poke::lol:.

I am dropping the veil a little bit...finally propped up an Avatar.:thu:

Guitars and gear from my humble studio will be future Avatars.

The one up now, is a 1962 Framus 14 fret Parlor Archtop 'made in the Heart of Bavaria' that I picked up near Booshy's 'Hood in 1980.

• Members
I'd take the credit, but it's undue; he contacted me, actually. I still don't believe in trying to use one's first post on a forum to sell things to the people of the forum. Siva did not, I promise you, come here with the plan of being a member of our community, and the jury's is still very much out as to whether he will continue as such. We'll see. I think we've done a good job of forcing his hand a little.
:)

Spam is spam, said Will-i-Am,
And vet or fool, it still ain't cool:{ :cool:

• Members

When I was 21, I could barely tune my $18 guitar.

When I was 21 I bought the goldtop les paul in my current avatar for $550. We played metal, heavy metal and occasionally some metal. It's probably why, at nearly 50, guys that just wank away on guitars (like I suspect siva does) don't much interest me anymore.

Archived