GFS Crunchy PAT verdict

Crisco

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's the very first time you've said this. All the other times you said GFS pickups were inherently inferior, with poor QC, made of poor materials, the "note quality" wasn't good etc.

I respect your opinion as you've just stated it; I won't argue it. Just so you know--again--no one was trying to say you were wrong in that regard (you can check if you like), and no one "disliked" that opinion. It was everything else you said which was contentious because it was only presumption (and not your opinion).

Fair enough!!

• Members

I have used many GFS pickups, some were great...some not so much...BUT...it depended on the guitar is was installed in for sure. I had an EpiG400 which I upgraded with Dimarzio and old Motherbucker pickups, sounded great in that guitar. Kept the Epi pickups in my box of junk and old pickups. Recently tried them in one of my old Hohner G2T's and guess what? Sounded great! I love them in the Hohner as much as I hated them in the Epi...point being...the guitar makes a HUGE difference. As far as consistency and quality, I say it's fine with the GFS pickups.

• Members

Just a little personal experience (hope internet tough guys don't poop on me...):

I purchased a set of FAT PAFs (before the name change) for a guitar I was setting up for a friend. It was an original headstock Agile DC. In that guitar with real CTS/ Switchcraft electronics those pickups are amazing. Really, really warm, dynamic and detailed. I kinda felt bad giving it to my buddy...

My second experience with GFS is in the HCEG Thinline. I ordered a p90 that ended up dead, but the leads had already been trimmed on install, so I didn't try to exchange. atrox was super-cool and substituted an Epiphone p90, which was fine, but not my favorite. The bridge pickup in the original configuration was a 1960s repro, which is everything a tele bridge pickup generally is (thin, sharp, articulate and "strong enough"). While it was a tele sound in a really nice way, it was really, really overmatched by the neck p90.

Since the bridge was so overwhelmed, I tried GFS's hottest bigmouth pickup. This is a REALLY nice tele bridge PU. It has TONS of meat and loses none of the trademark tele-ness. For a traditional tele PU, this is my be-all, end-all. However, it was still overmatched by the neck '90, even when I switched the neck out to a super-cool BG p90.

Now, I use this guitar every week, so I really, really need to be absolutely in love with the tones I get out of it, so I did what I shoulda done in the first palce and emailed Jay over at Guitarfetish to ask what he'd match with the p90. To my great surprise, he recommended the hottest 'Lil Killer he stocks. I thought he was straight-up nuts. Boy am I wrong. This thing has been GREAT from the moment I put it in, and is, in every way, a phenomenal match for the p90. It's certainly not a traditional sound, but boy is it the right sound for this guitar.

So there you have it: GFS has a HUGE variety of sounds available, many of them really, really nice. The issue comes in selecting the right one for YOU. Warning: it's not always the one you expect.

• Members

I tried a Fat PAT in my Tele's neck for a few months. Just wasn't a great pickup.

I mean, it's a definite step up from the super-low quality pickups on cheapo guitars.

But as an alternative to Duncans, Dimarzios, Gibsons, etc? Nope.

IDK, probably best to see GFS for what it is: great budget pickups for great budget tone.

Huh. Funny thing, personal preference. I like the FAT PAFs every bit as much as a Fender Black Dove and the A-MAZING pickups in a PRS Hollowbody Spruce I owned at eh time.

And that is what pickups boil down to, isn't it? Everybody is chasing a different tone.

FWIW, I have found certain pickups to be EXTREMELY sensitive to pickup height. The aforementioned FAT PAFs and PRS Hollowbody pickups are two great examples.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

The "cheap stuff can sound awesome" fight is a good fight.

Also I forgot to comment on the crunchy pat, I've never heard one so I don't know, but I will say, the fat PATs are awesome. I think they should do an all out replacement. They sound awesome in my semi, and I cant imagine them sounding bad in a paul....

I have a mean 90 on the way, hope that works well for cleans and mild dirt in my strat.

And I was about to post about how mushy and muddy those were. Not a good tone for me personally as I have been using SD super distortion and SD JB's for my punk rock tone. Both of which are really freaking far from warm and muddy.

Diiff'rnt strokes eh?

• Members

I'm going to do my best to not bash the banned moron and keep this thing on topic. :p

I had to play songs in clean as well where I am used to a full tone, good bottom end and crisp highs with good balance. This just didn't happen with the GFS pickups. So, after a small break and my bandmate saying 'they're awfully hot...too hot for what you're playing' I grab my LP with the Super Distortion and SH-2 pickups and,...

well, that said it all. The tone and warmth I had been searching for all night was in the LP case.

I tried every setting on the guitar and the amp I could think to remedy the problem, but it's just a simple fact.

My Verdict:
These pickups are really

*No Good
. (
= I'm looking into this further after listening to forum members and those who have used these pickups and stand by them.)

The Epiphone pickups that came in the SG/G-400 are better without a doubt. Better tone, highs, lows, mids, cleans, distorted...you name it.

The GFS pickups sadly failed to impress me. It was a gamble I took, really...so I am not disappointed

So, looks like the GFS Crunchy Pats will be going either back or to my bandmate with that George Lynch guitar. I'm sure it'll do that one better than it did me.

For my Super Distortion to sound so much better on the whole than the Crunchy PAT just says volumes for that name brand.

I highlighted what I think is the problem.

You're looking for the quality that I find most people replace their stock Epi pickups for. I know I replaced the stock bridge pickup in my '07 Epi LP Custom because it was dark and I find that tone useless. I put a VEH with a gold cover in the bridge and I find that it gave me a great bright tone with a prominent midrange and a present but not flubby bass. The pickup that I replaced, which should be the same pickup that you replaced, had no treble response, lots of mids, and (to my ear) a flubby bass.

Your bandmate calling them hot doesn't know what hot means. What you ARE looking for is a hot pickup, which the PAT line isn't in the traditional sense. YES, they are 13.5K in the bridge, but they're meant to sound like a PAF but with higher output. PAFs are brighter sounding pickups than what most modern guitarists look for. Most traditionally hot pickups have the qualities you're looking for, like the Super Distortion you like.

Also, I think another part of the problem is that you have a G-400. SGs are typically thinner sounding than the Les Paul you're happy with because they are also physically thinner.

I really think that the problem here is that you're looking in the opposite direction of what you want.

GFS wise, I might suggest the Power Rails or even the Fat PATs. You went with the Crunchy, which to me connotes brighter with a less prominent lower midrange.

• Members

Yeah dude. I couldn't be a anymore happy about that dude being gone. It's awesome. I rarely go to the trouble to argue with someone on the internet, but I would let that dude have it every chance that I could. He was so annoying and spread so much stupidity.

And to get semi back on topic, I think I will be trying a set of GFS tele rails in at least the bridge position of my MIM tele. Maybe with a coil tap even.

• Members
But the PROS earn a living from their sound and they are going to use what sounds best to them, James. They don't use GFS. Sorry if that offends you and your EXPERIENCE!

:lol:

By this logic, I should buy one of each item endorsed by Zakk. Them tone be TEH BAEST!

Not endorsed = bad? Talk about a sucker born every minute! :lol:

• Members

I highlighted what I think is the problem.

You're looking for the quality that I find most people replace their stock Epi pickups for. I know I replaced the stock bridge pickup in my '07 Epi LP Custom because it was dark and I find that tone useless. I put a VEH with a gold cover in the bridge and I find that it gave me a great bright tone with a prominent midrange and a present but not flubby bass. The pickup that I replaced, which should be the same pickup that you replaced, had no treble response, lots of mids, and (to my ear) a flubby bass.

Your bandmate calling them hot doesn't know what hot means. What you ARE looking for is a hot pickup, which the PAT line isn't in the traditional sense. YES, they are 13.5K in the bridge, but they're meant to sound like a PAF but with higher output. PAFs are brighter sounding pickups than what most modern guitarists look for. Most traditionally hot pickups have the qualities you're looking for, like the Super Distortion you like.

Also, I think another part of the problem is that you have a G-400. SGs are typically thinner sounding than the Les Paul you're happy with because they are also physically thinner.

I really think that the problem here is that you're looking in the opposite direction of what you want.

GFS wise, I might suggest the
or even the
. You went with the
Crunchy
, which to me connotes brighter with a less prominent lower midrange.

Quoting myself because I feel this thread is drifting off-topic again and I think the OP needs the help.

Oh, I also never responded to the last sentence. I don't think that one product could represent a brand as a whole. There are Duncans I LOOOOOOOOVE and Duncans I hate with the heat of a thousand suns. There are DiMarzios that, to me, are absolutely glorious and those that I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy. Then, for both, there are also pickups that are OK but really meh...

I, for one, actually hate the Super Distortion. LOL

Archived