GFS Crunchy PAT verdict

Crisco

• Members

Well, it took nealy 2 weeks to finally get my guitar at band practice and in a real time situation where I had to pull out all the stops like I would do...with any other guitar. We have not been able to practice for some time due to a bandmembers job taking him out of state for a few weeks.

Now with the SG in tow with a new set of Crunchy PATS I intended on having the best sound available to me beyond a shadow of a doubt.

We started it out and it was decent for the most part

But, the warmth that I needed and the dark tones that I am used to even on the most stock Epiphone pickup...weren't even there.

I had to play songs in clean as well where I am used to a full tone, good bottom end and crisp highs with good balance. This just didn't happen with the GFS pickups. So, after a small break and my bandmate saying 'they're awfully hot...too hot for what you're playing' I grab my LP with the Super Distortion and SH-2 pickups and,...

well, that said it all. The tone and warmth I had been searching for all night was in the LP case.

I tried every setting on the guitar and the amp I could think to remedy the problem, but it's just a simple fact.

My Verdict: These pickups are really

*No Good. (* = I'm looking into this further after listening to forum members and those who have used these pickups and stand by them.)

The Epiphone pickups that came in the SG/G-400 are better without a doubt. Better tone, highs, lows, mids, cleans, distorted...you name it.

The GFS pickups sadly failed to impress me. It was a gamble I took, really...so I am not disappointed

So, looks like the GFS Crunchy Pats will be going either back or to my bandmate with that George Lynch guitar. I'm sure it'll do that one better than it did me.

For my Super Distortion to sound so much better on the whole than the Crunchy PAT just says volumes for that name brand.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The crunchy pats wouldn't have been my choice from the GFS line. I would look at the Classic II, Vintage 59, or the VEH as better options.

If you can wait, it is well worth it to get a custom wound set from BG for about the same cost as a new Duncan or Dimarzio at your local retailer. I have 3 guitars equipped with his pickups and they are awesome!

http://www.bg-pups.com

Another one to consider is Rose Pickups:

http://www.rosepickups.com

• Members

I don't like the Crunchy PATs much myself but it comparing it to a Super Distortion, almost any reasonable humbucker is going to sound less thick and less warm. The Super Distortion is a VERY warm/thick/bassy sounding pickup.

On the other hand, if you want a set of pickups that sort of sounds like the Super Distortion but with only 2/3 the output, the GFS Alnico IIs might be exactly what you are looking for. I have a set in one LP and think they sound fantastic.

• Members

I haven't heard much about the Crunchy PAT until now :confused: i hear the Crunchy Rails pup is pretty great though. I am more of a high output kind of guy anyway but we'll see how this plays out. Sorry to hear that the whole time you were excited about the new pups turned out disappointing :cry:

• Members

Dude be careful with these companies that say they sound better or just as good as the big known companies. The big known companies got to where they are because of years building their rep on quality products and sounds. These new johnny come latelys are here to make a quick buck on empty promises. Sure they are cheaper but in the end you would have saved more money if you went with the big company because they had what you wanted in the first place.

• Members

I've always been an advocate of GFS single coils, most of their Strat pickups and some of their Tele pickups are very very good, tehir P90s are OK, and one or two of their buckers are decent, but buckers are not GFSs' strong point

I appreciate the comments everyone:thu:

• Members

Clubber, nice cleans sir.

Not to talk trash because Fender makes/made some incredible amps, the best. But I just don't understand why people go so nuts for them when awesome cleans can come from all kinds of stuff. You've got a partscaster (a budget one at that) and a Crate... and your clans there are stellar.

You're pissing in the gear page kool-aid and it's awesome!

• Members

Clubber, nice cleans sir.

Not to talk trash because Fender makes/made some incredible amps, the best. But I just don't understand why people go so nuts for them when awesome cleans can come from all kinds of stuff. You've got a partscaster (a budget one at that) and a Crate... and your clans there are stellar.

You're pissing in the gear page kool-aid and it's awesome!

thank you! I'm going to start posting some videos with my larger Crate too. the cleans from that amp are why I keep it.

• Members

The "cheap stuff can sound awesome" fight is a good fight.

Also I forgot to comment on the crunchy pat, I've never heard one so I don't know, but I will say, the fat PATs are awesome. I think they should do an all out replacement. They sound awesome in my semi, and I cant imagine them sounding bad in a paul....

I have a mean 90 on the way, hope that works well for cleans and mild dirt in my strat.

• Members

Dude be careful with these companies that say they sound better or just as good as the big known companies. The big known companies got to where they are because of years building their rep on quality products and sounds. These new johnny come latelys are here to make a quick buck on empty promises. Sure they are cheaper but in the end you would have saved more money if you went with the big company because they had what you wanted in the first place.

A total wealth of knowledge..... great expert opinion on something you have obviously never owned, seen, or touched.

• Members

In my experience, the Crunchy PATs are very dependent on the guitar you put them in. I got a set for my Douglas Spad and they didn't work there at all - midrangey with flabby, undefined bass. They were also super hot and clipping the input of my Saffire interface. I swapped them out for VEH's which I love in the Douglas. I ended up putting the Crunchy PATs in a SX strat that I was setting up for a friend and they sounded wonderful in it - all the quack you could want when split and nice and ballsy in HB mode.

Bottom line: There's a reason GFS has an awesome return/exchange policy on their pickups. Email them with what you don't like about the Crunchys and ask for recommendations. Jay responded personally when I emailed and recommended the VEH's and he wasn't wrong.

• Members

I have used the Crunchy PAT and the tele version of a hot rail they make. That idiot hasn't used any I am sure... Anyhow all my guitars are loaded with Duncans right now. I really enjoyed the GFS pickups. They were very decent for what I payed for them. I like my duncans more but they are like comparing apples and oranges. If you are on a budget you cant beat them.

Archived