GFS Crunchy PAT verdict

Crisco

• Members

Good luck!

I'd keep a small screwdriver handy and adjust it to taste while pausing your playing, so you don't have to try to remember if it sounds right or not. And if you need the bass side to be more "clear"/articulate while the highs more "fat", try lowering only the bass side or raising the treble side.

Thanks for your advice JamesPeters. It was good to hear from someone who's actually used the Crunchy PAT and can give advice. I apologize if I seemed agitated. This has been somewhat frustrating for me.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks for your advice JamesPeters. It was good to hear from someone who's actually used the Crunchy PAT and can give advice. I apologize if I seemed agitated. This has been somewhat frustrating for me.

It's ok, I understand how it is! I've been there many times myself. :) With any luck, changing the pickup height will help.

• Members

Trolling 101: Not listening to advice from someone who experienced something bad with said product, and actually defends said product after being warned.

Your mind is weak

You have a piss poor attitude. Where's Mr. Pistols to tell this guy to get the kick {censored} outta here?

• Members

I think he's venting all the anger from when his daddy played stink the pinky with him.

Sad thing is that he thinks he's a troll but he's just an asshole. I can appreciate a good troll, even so-so ones have their moments. But this guy talks like he is out of the pen and feels manly because he doesn't have to be someone's bitch anymore.

I noticed you seem to talk alot about incest and the pen and being someone's bitch. Freudian slip? Or talking about your memories? :blah:

• Members

I noticed you seem to talk alot about incest and the pen and being someone's bitch. Freudian slip? Or talking about your memories?
:blah:

Notice it's all concerning you. I've taken {censored}s more entertaining than you, son. I would make you my bitch, though. You would come back here and give a sincere apology for polluting the forums just before you died of heartbreak after being turned loose.

Now, be a good bitch and go OD somewhere. And quit sending me your fanboi PMs.

• Members

Notice it's all concerning you. I've taken {censored}s more entertaining than you, son.
I would make you my bitch
, though. You would come back here and give a sincere apology for polluting the forums just before you died of heartbreak after being turned loose.

Now, be a good bitch and go OD somewhere. And quit sending me your fanboi PMs.

You certainly seem like the type that would try. No Thanks, I'm straight.

• Members

The saddest thing about this lincoln40 troll is that he brings absolutely nothing new to the table. He's just following the same old troll arc we've seen here so many times before. Talks {censored} about stuff he knows nothing about, get a rise out of as many people as possible, internet tough guy syndrome, utterly lame "I know you are but what am I" responses when called on his BS, etc, etc, etf'nc. What does he have? 2 weeks, a month before he runs his mouth one threat too far the banhammer strikes? Christ, he could at least come up with a new and interesting way to be irritating. Weak troll is weak.

• Members

Damn I hope so. It would be like an early Christmas present.

Pshhhh, not me!!!!!

I have so many snax here, I need {censored} to read whilst consuming!!!!

:snax::snax::snax:

YUM!!!!!

Seriously though, you know he's a dick when someone can call him a "faggit" and not get a temp ban.

I hope he makes fun of Frets or BG!!!!!!! CMON LINCOLN40!!!!!!! :facepalm:

• Members
-Motor City Awayu

I see it all the time. Someone will buy a GFS high output pickup, and then complain about how it sounded cheap and lower quality because it didn't sound like some paf-type pickup that was in another guitar.

I dont think so. I used the GFS crunchy rail and thought it sounded pretty lifeless. I definately wasnt comparing it to a paf-type pickup. I compared it to a Dimarzio D-activator, x2n, and a Duncan JB. you could tell the build quality of the Duncans and Dimarzios was better and there was a significant difference in sound quality. There is a reason the professional players use big name pickups and not GFS pups. I would bet that if Dimarzio or Duncan sold their pups for the same price as GFS pups, you wouldnt be using the GFS pups anymore.

• Members

I have a pair of Fat PAFs (from back when they could still call them that) in a Ibanez Gax-70. Huge improvement over the stock pickups. They are pretty hot but still have good clarity and sound good for playing with low to medium gain (which is what I use them for). I could replace them with some Classic 57s (which I like a lot) or a set of Burst Bucker Pros I've got laying around, but it's a budget guitar and the budget pups suit it well. Great player that now sounds good too.

gax70pic.jpg

• Members

I'm sorry dude. I shouldn't have helped in running your thread off topic. I apologize.

• Members

you could tell the build quality of the Duncans and Dimarzios was better and there was a significant difference in sound quality

I would like you to explain yourself here. Give as much detail as possible, please. :)

I see so many reviews of gfs pickups that are filled with bias in both extremes. You hear things like what you said, or other things like, "They sound cheap", "They are low quality", or "They are only good for the money". That doesn't even make sense. What does cheap sound like? What does low quality sound like? I'd bet your answer would describe a whole bunch of other more expensive pickups, coincidentally.

There is nothing about the gfs pickups I have tried that is apparently lower quality compared to other pickups I have. Some of my other pickups work better than them in some guitars, and the gfs pickups work better than the others in some guitars.

• Members

Actually no.

And this probably sounds pretty stupid..

I have the bridge pickup ridiculously high under the strings much like the Epi's were, and the post screws adjusted accordingly to match after eyeballing the Epi pickups and how they were set. The neck pickup sits just above the ring. The bridge pickup being seemingly at the same height Angus Young has his SG at..as close to the strings as possible.

I will lower the bridge pickup and give this a try

This is definitely worth a shot, pup height is often critically important and the problems you describe are consistent with need to lower pups.

As others have said, a lot depends on the match with the guitar. It may be a poor match for the sound that you want. I've had cases in which a set of pups was hugely disappointing in one guitar, and after pulling them I've given them a shot in another guitar before selling off and they turn out to be a perfect match. Some pups are notorious for this sort of dependency; don't know about this particular set, have no experience with them and haven't been paying attention to reviews, but again it's worth consideration.

Beyond that it may come down to personal preference. Not every pup will do it for every player (now there's an understatement!). If pup height and/or guitar swap don't salvage them in your mind I'd sell and try again with a different set. Even if you go that route, though, no reason to denigrate the pups, much less the company, unless shoddy workmanship is the culprit (doubt that in this case). It's one thing to say that they didn't work out for you, another to claim that they are POS. You see the difference, right? :thu:

Good luck!

• Members

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but did you happen to read my entire post(including the part where I named all of the pickups that I currently own, some of which being pretty expensive), and take a look at the gear in my signature? Do you really think that I like the GFS pickups because they are a little cheaper? Seriously? Think about that for a second.

Did you happen to catch the part about how I've compared countless pickups back to back in many guitars, and probably most importantly, in the same guitars? I'm just curious, because your first post in the thread just implied that you tried one GFS pickup in one guitar briefly.

Do a search on ANY duncan or dimarzio pickup. You will get people saying they loved it, hated it, it wasn't for them, it's awesome, etc. Personal preference, and a slew of other reasons, are the cause of this.

Now, if you had heard one duncan or dimarzio pickup that you didn't like in one guitar, would you post on the forums that nobody should buy a pickup from that brand? I'm going to take a wild guess and say No. Why is that? I'd throw your comment right back at you,...if GFS pickups were the same price as duncans or dimarzio, you wouldn't be saying this.

If I thought like you do, I'd never try another duncan again after hearing the JB sound like {censored} in a couple guitars. I happen to have a jb in one of my guitars right now, because it works really well for that one, by the way.
:)

I would like you to explain yourself here. Give as much detail as possible, please.
:)

I see so many reviews of gfs pickups that are filled with bias in both extremes. You hear things like what you said, or other things like, "They sound cheap", "They are low quality", or "They are only good for the money". That doesn't even make sense. What does cheap sound like? What does low quality sound like? I'd bet your answer would describe a whole bunch of other more expensive pickups, coincidentally.

There is nothing about the gfs pickups I have tried that is apparently lower quality compared to other pickups I have. Some of my other pickups work better than them in some guitars, and the gfs pickups work better than the others in some guitars.

Yes I read your previous post. I understand that you have tried COUNTLESS pickups and are obviously the pickup guru. Do you really think the GFS pickups are as consistent in build quality and sound as the major brands? Do they use the same quality materials? Is qc as good? Why are the professional players, other than yourself of course, who make a living on their sound not using these magical cheap pickups? I guess they like throwing money away on the major brands. You made a staement that everyone was comparing the GFS high output pups to paf humbuckers. No, I havent tried COUNTLESS pickups to compare like you, just the crunchy rail which I thought sounded inferior to three other high output, not paf, pickups from a different brand. I'll be happy to trade you a crunchy rail pup for a Dimarzio or Duncan. Also dont waste your money on an american made strat or les paul. You can get a Squier, SX or Agile for a lot less. They are just as good!!

• Members

Put him on your ignore list guys
:facepalm:
The only way i can read his posts are if you guys quote him. It helps out a lot not hearing him bitch about endless nonsense.
:D

EDIT: I am talking about lincoln40...not you Crisco
:thu:

No youre not. You told me in a PM you were talking about Crisco. You homomarsupial

• Members

Yes I read your previous post. I understand that you have tried COUNTLESS pickups and are obviously the pickup guru. Do you really think the GFS pickups are as consistent in build quality and sound as the major brands? Do they use the same quality materials? Is qc as good? Why are the professional players, other than yourself of course, who make a living on their sound not using these magical cheap pickups? I guess they like throwing money away on the major brands. You made a staement that everyone was comparing the GFS high output pups to paf humbuckers. No, I havent tried COUNTLESS pickups to compare like you, just the crunchy rail which I thought sounded inferior to three other high output, not paf, pickups from a different brand. I'll be happy to trade you a crunchy rail pup for a Dimarzio or Duncan. Also dont waste your money on an american made strat or les paul. You can get a Squier, SX or Agile for a lot less. They are just as good!!

Insert brain, then try again.

Archived