GFS Crunchy PAT verdict

Crisco

• Members

Raise your hand to get permission to speak! We have already been over this once! I bet your mommy isn't very proud of you. Cant follow simple directions at all, and doesn't play well with others. Year 2 of kindergarten will surely go better for you! Keep your chin up son.

My goal is to save forum members money with my knowlege of products that I used. I'll keep on doing it too. Just remember I schooled you, son. No walk on home, boy.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I put a GFS Crunchy PAT in the bridge of my Samick superstrat, and either I totally messed something up or there is just something wrong with the pickup because I got a terrible buzz that doesn't go away like something wasn't grounded.

FWIW I've changed pickups countless times before in all sorts of different guitars....

One of these days I'll get off my ass and re-do all the solder points, though visually everything looks fine :(

• Members

this is quite comical, although i think you guys are being a bit harsh on lincoln40

shame to hear the crunchy PATs are bad from so many of you! seen good reviews elsewhere with people comparing them to the duncan SH-5 :idk:

so if these aren't good, what GFS buckers are good?

• Members

I have Crunchy PATs. There's a reason they are the cheapest HB on GFS site. That said, they do fill a need for some people, and they are very inexpensive.

I think the Crunchies are the cheapest because of the cost of the ceramic magnets are less than the other types. I could be wrong though.

• Members

shame to hear the crunchy PATs are bad from so many of you! seen good reviews elsewhere with people comparing them to the duncan SH-5
:idk:

I like the bridge pup in alder bodies for high gain applications. Certainly wouldn't be my choice for mild-to-medium OD though. I think they're spec'ed. and intended to be distortion clones. They don't sound like my Duncan Distortions, but they are not in the same type of guitars either.

• Members

I put a GFS Crunchy PAT in the bridge of my Samick superstrat, and either I totally messed something up or there is just something wrong with the pickup because I got a terrible buzz that doesn't go away like something wasn't grounded.

FWIW I've changed pickups countless times before in all sorts of different guitars....

One of these days I'll get off my ass and re-do all the solder points, though visually everything looks fine
:(

Nope, you werent hearing things. That's exactly one of the problems I heard when I installed them in my friends guitar

• Members

I've tried the GFS Crunchy Rails, and GFS Crunchy Pat in a few different guitars. Others that I trust have also used these pickups in a number of different guitars, doing many comparisons with lots of other pickups.

I have tried and compared so many pickups, in so many guitars, it's kind of dizzying to think about. The GFS Crunchy Rails, and the GFS Crunchy Pats are awesome pickups. There is absolutely nothing about how they sound that puts them in a lower quality bracket than any other brand of pickup that I have tried.

This is coming from someone who has these pickups in my possession right now;

-Duncan Jb, Jb w/ small ceramic magnet, Distortion, Custom, Full Shred, A2Pro, Custom5, 59, JB/Custom Hybrid

-Dimarzio Super Distortion & Paf Pro

-Motor City Awayu

-Suhr Aldrich

-Anderson H2+ & HN3

-BareKnuckle Miracle Man, & Nailbomb

-EMG81, 85, & 89

-Gibson 498T & PAF T-Top

I'm probably forgetting some, and this doesn't include the ones I've owned, but don't have right now.

I'm only bringing this up because it seams like the only people trying and commenting on GFS pickups, are people with limited experience with pickup comparisons in general, or people who order the wrong pickup for what they're looking for.

I see it all the time. Someone will buy a GFS high output pickup, and then complain about how it sounded cheap and lower quality because it didn't sound like some paf-type pickup that was in another guitar.

For their intended uses, these pickups flat out rock. They are not only "good for the price". It's not true that "the big companies are better if you have the money". It's about your personal preference. When it comes to sound and what they do, these pickups are every bit on the level with the other pickups in this category. I can't comment on any other GFS pickup, as I haven't had extended time with them yet.

I have a crunchy pat and a crunchy rails installed in the bridge of two of my five guitars.

• Members

My goal is to save forum members money with my knowlege of products that I used. I'll keep on doing it too. Just remember I schooled you, son. No walk on home, boy.

Please list one example of you schooling at least one person. Seems the real world has missed out on all that.

hahah2.jpg

• Members

But if I put him on ignore, half the thread will dissapear....

I have Crunchy PATs.
There's a reason they are the cheapest HB on GFS site.
That said, they do fill a need for some people, and they are very inexpensive.

I woulda put Fat PATs in it. Those F'in rock. My favorite GFS HB
. But I haven;t sampled many others as I was so happy with them.

True, the $23.00 Cr.PAT pickup is the least expensive of the choices

and I didn't do much research on them really I just said 'get 'em, how bad can they be? Couldn't be any worse than what's already in there"

Right?:facepalm:

I'll definitely check out the Fat PAT.

• Members

RE...SPECT. WALK!....what do ya say? Walk on home, boy--Just walk on home.
:deadhorse:

I think he's venting all the anger from when his daddy played stink the pinky with him.

Sad thing is that he thinks he's a troll but he's just an asshole. I can appreciate a good troll, even so-so ones have their moments. But this guy talks like he is out of the pen and feels manly because he doesn't have to be someone's bitch anymore.

• Members

I have Crunchy PATs. There's a reason they are the cheapest HB on GFS site.

I try to not think about that, because I like them so much it makes me question if I'm right in liking them so much. And I think that's part of the problem when people get them "for the heck of it" "because they're cheap". It's hard to get around that bias we have about cheaper gear.

• Members

I've tried the GFS Crunchy Rails, and GFS Crunchy Pat in a few different guitars. Others that I trust have also used these pickups in a number of different guitars, doing many comparisons with lots of other pickups.

I have tried and compared so many pickups, in so many guitars, it's kind of dizzying to think about. The GFS Crunchy Rails, and the GFS Crunchy Pats are awesome pickups. There is absolutely nothing about how they sound that puts them in a lower quality bracket than any other brand of pickup that I have tried.

This is coming from someone who has these pickups in my possession right now;

-Duncan Jb, Jb w/ small ceramic magnet, Distortion, Custom, Full Shred, A2Pro, Custom5, 59, JB/Custom Hybrid

-Dimarzio Super Distortion & Paf Pro

-Motor City Awayu

-Suhr Aldrich

-Anderson H2+ & HN3

-BareKnuckle Miracle Man, & Nailbomb

-EMG81, 85, & 89

-Gibson 498T & PAF T-Top

I'm probably forgetting some, and this doesn't include the ones I've owned, but don't have right now.

I'm only bringing this up because it seams like the only people trying and commenting on GFS pickups, are people with limited experience with pickup comparisons in general, or people who order the wrong pickup for what they're looking for.

I see it all the time. Someone will buy a GFS high output pickup, and then complain about how it sounded cheap and lower quality because it didn't sound like some paf-type pickup that was in another guitar.

For their intended uses, these pickups flat out rock. They are not only "good for the price". It's not true that "the big companies are better if you have the money". It's about your personal preference. When it comes to sound and what they do,
these pickups are every bit on the level with the other pickups in this category
. I can't comment on any other GFS pickup, as I haven't had extended time with them yet.

I have a crunchy pat and a crunchy rails installed in the bridge of two of my five guitars.

If it's any consolation I had an Epi G400 Custom with a Duncan SH-6 Distortion (mayhem) set in it and it was fantastic.

100_1525.jpg

I have an LP with Super Distortion and an SH-2

100_1489.jpg

I have a Firebird Studio with Tone Zone and PAF Pro

100_1535.jpg

so, I know what I like and there is no lack of knowledge or trying on my part believe me.

I'm glad you're happy with your set of Crunchy PATS but to me personally they sound pretty pitiful compared to what I know and like.

The SH-6's were ceramic as well as the Super D so it's not like I don't know what a ceramic pickup sounds like. I just wasn't into spending $130+ on a set of name brand pickups this time around.

• Members

If it's any consolation I had an Epi G400 Custom with a Duncan SH-6 Distortion (mayhem) set in it and it was fantastic.

I have an LP with Super Distortion and an SH-2

I have a Firebird Studio with Tone Zone and PAF Pro

so, I know what I like and there is no lack of knowledge or trying on my part believe me.

I'm glad you're happy with your set of Crunchy PATS but to me personally they sound pretty pitiful compared to what I know and like.

The SH-6's were ceramic as well as the Super D so it's not like I don't know what a ceramic pickup sounds like. I just wasn't into spending $130+ on a set of name brand pickups
this time around

I've used all the pickups you mentioned, in several guitars each over the years, and have shied away from them over time for various reasons (each had some aspect of the sound I didn't like in various guitars) to end up preferring the GFS Crunchy PAT (and other pickups, of other brands too). It's all about personal preference and how it works in the guitar.

• Members

I've used all the pickups you mentioned, in several guitars each over the years, and have shied away from them over time for various reasons (each had some aspect of the sound I didn't like in various guitars) to
end up preferring the GFS Crunchy PAT
(and other pickups, of other brands too). It's all about personal preference and how it works in the guitar.

Good for you:thu:

• Members

Would you be interested in buying mine? I'll sell them to you dirt cheap, then maybe you can tell me if it's just this set of pickups?

Sorry but I have a few Crunchy PAT sets here and don't really need any more (I have a spare set, and two sets in two guitars currently). I'm also not really in the mood to swap pickups anymore since I like how my guitars sound. If I were local to you I'd be glad to check it out, but I doubt you live near me (I'm in Winnipeg).

I just realized you said something that I missed in your original post, about people saying your pickups sounded "too hot". Did you try lowering the pickups significantly? I sometimes end up with my pickups a good 3/8" away from the strings, depending on the guitar and pickup. Never just put the pickups as close to the strings as possible and leave it like that without trying different heights (even with EMG, who says you can get away with it due to low string pull, because it may still not sound right).

• Members

Sorry but I have a few Crunchy PAT sets here and don't really need any more (I have a spare set, and two sets in two guitars currently). I'm also not really in the mood to swap pickups anymore since I like how my guitars sound. If I were local to you I'd be glad to check it out, but I doubt you live near me (I'm in Winnipeg).

I just realized you said something that I missed in your original post, about people saying your pickups sounded "too hot".

Did you try lowering the pickups significantly?

I sometimes end up with my pickups a good 3/8" away from the strings, depending on the guitar and pickup. Never just put the pickups as close to the strings as possible and leave it like that without trying different heights (even with EMG, who says you can get away with it due to low string pull, because it may still not sound right).

Actually no.

And this probably sounds pretty stupid..

I have the bridge pickup ridiculously high under the strings much like the Epi's were, and the post screws adjusted accordingly to match after eyeballing the Epi pickups and how they were set. The neck pickup sits just above the ring. The bridge pickup being seemingly at the same height Angus Young has his SG at..as close to the strings as possible.

I will lower the bridge pickup and give this a try

• Members

Actually no.

And this probably sounds pretty stupid..

I have the bridge pickup ridiculously high under the strings much like the Epi's were, and the post screws adjusted accordingly to match after eyeballing the Epi pickups and how they were set. The neck pickup sits just above the ring. The bridge pickup being seemingly at the same height Angus Young has his SG at..as close to the strings as possible.

I will lower the bridge pickup and give this a try

Good luck!

I'd keep a small screwdriver handy and adjust it to taste while pausing your playing, so you don't have to try to remember if it sounds right or not. And if you need the bass side to be more "clear"/articulate while the highs more "fat", try lowering only the bass side or raising the treble side.

Archived