Need a shower and debrief. Just went to a very, very dark place.

Huh?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I participate largely to refine my writing and debating skills. The saddest part is the way so many of participants merely parrot the daily talking points assigned by the Fox Channel/Republican party. Also many people from all political persuasions just enjoy trading insults.

There is a lot of noise, but I just ignore the trolls and clowns and try to present information and ideas that are not presented well in the mainstream media. Occasionally I can get into a real debate and/or learn something new. If nothing else, it gives me insight into a world view I am not exposed to often where I live.

• Members

Well, I just read about this thread on TPP & as I said on there, I have to give credit to huh?. For a short visit, he 100% accurately nailed TPP & the more he post, the more accurate in detail he becomes. But.....
as I ready through this thread it was nothing more than a mirror of the type of post & people that are on TPP.
To see the moderator, compare TPP with the civility of the Tripoli bombing & assasinations is TPP caliber to the core. That is from THE MODERATOR no less.:eek:
As a Christian, I guess the bashing of Christians that occurs here is looked upon as "more civil".:rolleyes: Am I to believe that if I stayed here longer & engage with civility, that the civility of responses would maintain at a higher level? My extremely short visit & experience here makes that seem somewhat doubtful.
Maybe I kinda look at civility in a broader perspective than some do. Just because you aren't hurling as many bombs at each other, as you are hurling at the ones' outside your own little enclave, doesn't really make you a paragon of civility. It just make you hypocrites.
FYI/BTW...As I said at HTPP....just like this forum, you have to look at TPP as entertainment, soley entertainment. It's "The Political Party" & it's more about the party aspect than about serious politics. In the area of civility, it does nothing but mimc the actions, civility & morality of our so-called 'serious' professional Washington politicians.
TPP= entertainment at the expense of serious politics
Washington= serious politics at our expense
Common thread= clowns everywhere.
Love-Peace:wave:

• Members

Anderton's hands-off-unless-it-disturbs-my-nap approach is, by far, the best.

Except in the opinion of those who hate me because they believe I coddle conservatives, I coddle liberals, their bans weren't justified, why-did-you-ban-me-when-someone-else-did-the-same-thing, I didn't deal with their PM within milliseconds of receiving, etc. etc. People actually don't hate me, they hate the fact that I'm not moderating the place the way they want me to moderate it. When I say tough sh*t, they get upset, like it's their birthright to have me spend every waking hour looking after their conflicts. The smarter ones recognize that it's not my life and I don't care. The other are too self-absorbed to notice :)

• Members

The complexion of this thread sure has changed over the past two pages - ie. the avatars have become familiar. :D

I find the PP to be like Thanksgiving dinner at the in-laws house. Everybody has an opinion, and voices it over everybody elses loud opinions. At the end of the day, nobody has changed anyone else's mind about anything, but it keeps you on your toes and requires you to have at least a modicum of knowledge about what you're saying or else be eviscerated for all to see.

PP doesn't hold the patent on incivility - go into Live Sound and ask for opinions about anything other than Meyer or Klark-Teknik and see how quick you are laughed out of the place. I like it there, but don't go in bragging about your MI grade equipment without bringing your thick skin. :idea:

• Members

You forgot to mention that he's still a racist though, still considering blacks to be inferior.

Read my sig.

Changes happen one step at a time. People don't flip a lifetime of conditioning overnight. But, when cracks in a belief system start to appear, the process starts.

• Members

To see the moderator, compare TPP with the civility of the Tripoli bombing & assasinations is TPP caliber to the core. That is from THE MODERATOR no less.
:eek:

No, that wasn't it at all. I was giving a reason why people are freaked out, which expresses itself in the HCPP.

• Members

Craig, I am really sorry I brought a big ball of poo rolling into your living room. While the responses have been civil, it also seems to have brought issues people have with you personally.

This whole deal is definitely my doing......after I posted the cage fighting post I thought about it, but I also figured the heavier of the battle-axes over there would be amused or even proud of others seeing them like snarling dogs with blood and fur flying...after all, that is what they do. They warrior up and seemingly make war on anyone and everyone.

My comments were also meant in a somewhat light hearted manner. Pissed, but tongue in cheek...... ish.

Anyway, I have taken myself over there to sort this out and take my licks for what I said. Hopefully all you guys who do not post here a lot, and who came here to defend yourself or fire back..... will stay over there and we can duke it out if necessary.

• Members

Indeed the PP is a piece of worthles {censored}... However,its OUR piece of worthless {censored}..

That being said, after years of posting there daily, I only vist occasionally these days, post much less, and don't stay long.

Unless you are a hard core leftist that hates Christians and Jews, you are badly outnumbered, and grow weary of being called stupid, ignorant,idiot, moron, fundie,homophobe,racist etc etc- ad nauseum- ad infinitum.

Broad brushes - they are used.

There are good discussions that happen at HCPP, but the signal-to-noise ratio is more noise than signal. If you pay attention, you will quickly find who actually contributes intelligent well-reasoned thoughts and who throws pies. Then again, I'm very slow to anger, so a lot of the crap doesn't really bother me that much. I know who I am and what I believe. I've changed my opinion on several issues due to discussions on the HCPP, and I've seen a lot of drama-llamas have meltdowns because no one's giving them the attention they so deeply crave. Somehow, it's a satisfying place to be.....in small doses.

• Members

A couple of hours in the hcpp should cure anyone of the belief that mankind can live in peace and harmony.

Honestly, that is one of the things that really was evident to me also and troubling. And personally I believe that there are those, who have the clout, who perhaps are even engineering this, at the very least are extremely happy it is happening...the division in this country. People really need to come together regardless of their differences, and work to save the country first and foremost.

• Members

Craig, I am really sorry I brought a big ball of poo rolling into your living room. While the responses have been civil, it also seems to have brought issues people have with you personally.

This whole deal is definitely my doing......after I posted the cage fighting post I thought about it, but I also figured the
heavier of the battle-axes over there would be amused or even proud of others seeing them like snarling dogs with blood and fur flying...after all, that is what they do. They warrior up and seemingly make war on anyone and everyone.

My comments were also meant in a somewhat light hearted manner. Pissed, but tongue in cheek...... ish.

Anyway, I have taken myself over there to sort this out and take my licks for what I said.
Hopefully all you guys who do not post here a lot, and who came here to defend yourself or fire back..... will stay over there
and we can duke it out if necessary.

Did I just mention the Drama Llama?

No one seems to have an issue with people posting wherever they wish except you. None of these groups are exclusive clubs, open only to members who know the Secret Handshake. If they were, I never would have joined the MusicPlayer groups all those years ago. You think HCPP is bad? I wish you'd been around to meet Mr. WOW or many other denizens of the political side of MP before we migrated over to HC. Son, I could tell you stories that would curl your hair, except that Craig is naked in some of them and he's really very introverted and retiring...

Believe me, this version of the PP is child's play.

• Members

It boggles my mind how some people spend all day long posting in there and basically drown out anyone who might pop in with a reasonable comment.

One of the darkest sides of humanity is the attention whore - and the only way to deal with an attention whore is just ignore them. It does nothing positive to give them any energy at all.

I'm writing a song called "Are You on Facebook or Are You on Drugs?" about internet life. People have an addictive nature and it's very evident at PP. I can't imagine the time some people put into that place. Even if they are posting from work, something I couldn't have done, they must go home and hit it again. Every year, I quit the internet for a couple of weeks of festival time. It's interesting to come back to PP and find some new abrasive and profuse attention whore has registered recently but is already on the verge of getting banned. I try, with the ignore feature and some amount of self-restraint, to keep from feeding their egos. I truly believe they get aroused by the view and post counts in their threads.

That said, there are some really interesting and smart people there, and I have learned quite a bit. My interest in politics comes from our family dinner table discussions, to my time as a page in Washington, to the whole late sixties/early seventies upheaval, with me and my cohort smack dab in the middle. I became jaded about the parties after watching LBJ widen the war over lies and concocted situations. From LBJ, it was straight to Nixon and I knew I could not be excited about either party's claims of honesty and dedication to the nation. It's all about power. But you know what? Those who have that power hold a lot of cards that can affect any and all of us.

I was with you folks at MP before you, Craig and Co. came here as mods. There are a lot of us with join dates from mid 2005 when that happened. I had followed Craig from AOL, though AOL made that hard to do. Before then, when the move from MP to here was looming, I came over here to register. I don't know why, but I couldn't register with my same moniker. It was like I had registered previously, but to a hotmail address that I hadn't used in years. Anyway, a few minutes on OJ (which seemed to be closest to Open Mic in title) told me that it was OK to have a new name in that Fruedian playground. Well, of course, OJ didn't transform into SSS Open Mic, it stayed its own perverted self, SSS came here and PP (which had already been formed at MP) landed next door to OJ, while SSS stayed above the fray.

• Members

I should have used my brain before posting this thread....because it seems I have have brought some of the BS here, into a mostly very quiet place.

Now you've gone and done it! You've opened a dimensional rift to the underworld!

• Members

Craig, I am really sorry I brought a big ball of poo rolling into your living room.
While the responses have been civil, it also seems to have brought issues people have with you personally.

This whole deal is definitely my doing......after I posted the cage fighting post I thought about it, but I also figured the heavier of the battle-axes over there would be amused or even proud of others seeing them like snarling dogs with blood and fur flying...after all, that is what they do. They warrior up and seemingly make war on anyone and everyone.

Anyway, I have taken myself over there to sort this out and take my licks for what I said. Hopefully all you guys who do not post here a lot, and who came here to defend yourself or fire back..... will stay over there and we can duke it out if necessary.

Actually, I linked your thread to PP. :)

You seem a tad ... over dramatic. If you come to PP, please bring a sense of humour. K ;)

• Members

Except in the opinion of those who hate me because they believe I coddle conservatives, I coddle liberals, their bans weren't justified, why-did-you-ban-me-when-someone-else-did-the-same-thing, I didn't deal with their PM within milliseconds of receiving, etc. etc. People actually don't hate me, they hate the fact that I'm not moderating the place the way they want me to moderate it. When I say tough sh*t, they get upset, like it's their birthright to have me spend every waking hour looking after their conflicts. The smarter ones recognize that it's not my life and I don't care. The other are too self-absorbed to notice
:)

Craig sounds like you're prepped to run for President! Why not join in, everyone else seems to be doing it these days. I'm considering it. I'll be running as a candidate from the American Communist Party if so; our time draws nigh! ;)

• Members

I post there all the time, I try to act as a mediator. I don't take any particular position on anything, I just try to get people to calm the {censored} down and have a discussion.

It's a losing battle, but it passes the time.

• Members

And in doing so solidifies their own sense of place amongst, or rather above those who they have just left.

Sometimes you just have to define yourself through an upward trajectory of reason and intelligence and not by the lowest common denominator of human slop. That is every human being's right.

• Members

I post there all the time, I try to act as a mediator. I don't take any particular position on anything, I just try to get people to calm the {censored} down and have a discussion.

It's a losing battle, but it passes the time.

I`m with you but from what I`ve observed in the Political Forum in mere 2 times I actually stopped in is that most contributors have very little interest in hearing an opposing idea, trying to understand it and actually living with it for a day or two. Usually theres a lot of mud slinging and thats why I stay far away.

I honestly don`t know how anyone has the time or energy to post endlessly, going back and forth with another forum member of opposing sides. Its really immature. Kind of reminds me of our government except we take men in suits a lot more seriously and we like to think they actually know what they`re talking about because afterall, we did vote them in. ;)

Archived