Need a shower and debrief. Just went to a very, very dark place.

Huh?

• Members

Too late. I already said "Excellent point :thu:"

I must say (not referring to you, BTW) that there are some posters in there with whom I disagree most of the time. Even banned a few of them for getting out of line. Then one day I'll go in and they'll do a literate, intelligent post where I agree with everything they say in that post, or they give a really intelligent response - whether I agree or not - instead of just saying "Go suck donkey balz, you idiot :idea:"

It's cool when that happens. Even some Alpha Centaurians grudgingly admit there might be hope.

Hope? So much for "superior intelligence".

They had better stay where they're at.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

People, what is up over at the Political Party sub-Forum? I just went over there and man, that place is filled with so much hatred, bigotry, racism....... I swear, I don't think I can go back.......it is how I envision purgatory...... there is so much underlying evil there.

I went there looking for political discussion hoping to find people like me who want to suss out what is good and bad for this great country. I'm worried for the US of A, so seeing it said that anything goes kinda at PP, I was looking forward to at least
somewhat
controlled political discussion and debate, after reading Craig's rules.

Wow!!!! I was not prepared for what I found.

There is no chance for civil discussion there, none whatsoever. At least, that is how it looks to me. Seriously, I don't know if I can go back to give the place a little time to grow on me......I also noticed none of you guys post over there.

Got a bit of thin skin there, eh?

• Members

Amazing.

An SSS regular goes over to the PP, finds that many just paint with broad brushes while sticking their fingers in their ears and yelling 'Lalalalalalalala".

Said SSS regular posts his impressions here.

Many SSS regulars are aghast.

Many PP regulars stop by and explain the workings of the PP calmly and rationally.

Many SSS regulars commence to paint with broad brushes while sticking their fingers in their ears and yelling 'Lalalalalalala".

Tell me again about how intellectually bereft anyone posting in the PP needs to be? I understand there's a definite lack of unicorns and such, but still...

• Members

Many SSS regulars commence to paint with broad brushes while sticking their fingers in their ears and yelling 'Lalalalalalala".

Actually, quite a few SSS regulars post in the PP. But, the forums here are all unique. The people who come here mostly for SSS are not Open Jam or HCPP types...it's just not their thing. They mostly want to know how to make better recordings and do better performances, and OJ and PP don't offer that.

But, this also gives a good idea of how much a moderator influences things. I've always tried to make SSS a place where the signal-to-noise ratio is high - get in, ask question, learn/post info, get out and go back to what you're doing. When it does serve as a hangout, it's usually to discuss some technical or artistic subject, and of course, that's cool too.

With the HCPP, I really feel it does need to reflect society as a whole - the good, the bad, the ugly, the inspirational, and the discouraging (some people even manage to squeeze this all into one post). Several months ago I spent some time on other political forums just to see if every other one is like HCPP, and believe it or not, most of them are way worse. On HCPP, you get quite a few people who can express themselves well, and include links. On the others, it's like the very worst of HCPP, but dumbed-down.

The only political forums I saw with relatively civil discourse with either so small they were easily manageable, or heavily (and I mean HEAVILY) moderated. But, I noticed that with the "outrageous" component removed, there were fewer triggers for tangential discussions, and that made the overall experience less interesting.

• Members

Craig, your alien peoplez need to call my alien peoplez; we're also looking at this planet as a real estate opportunity (hence the CDOs and ensuing crash, that was our idea, a little test....), and you'll need to negotiate rather than just move in. And, hold off on the incineration; we're just on the cusp of inventing teleportation and may be able to help out there. Quid Pro Quo, as Quo Vadis once said.

• Members

Realtrance,

I contacted Xzabkad, and first of all, he said he was aware of your work and has great respect for what you've done with infrasonics. Anyway, he indicated he might be interested in a partnership but only if Alpha Centauri can have Hawaii and Switzerland. He's flexible on everything else, and also has some suggestions on where to teleport earthlings if you get the teleportation thing working...although I was a little distressed by the way he laughed after he said that. I'm sure you know Alpha Centaurians haven't been too hot on teleportation since they teleported an entire beauty pageant into the middle of a dwarf star by accident. Guess we're not the only civilization that's learned not to depend on a 1.0 version of anything for "real work."

Let me know how it works out!

• Members

Realtrance,

I contacted Xzabkad, and first of all, he said he was aware of your work and has great respect for what you've done with infrasonics. Anyway, he indicated he might be interested in a partnership but only if Alpha Centauri can have Hawaii and Switzerland. He's flexible on everything else, and also has some suggestions on where to teleport earthlings if you get the teleportation thing working...although I was a little distressed by the way he laughed after he said that. I'm sure you know Alpha Centaurians haven't been too hot on teleportation since they teleported an entire beauty pageant into the middle of a dwarf star by accident. Guess we're not the only civilization that's learned not to depend on a 1.0 version of anything for "real work."

Let me know how it works out!

Switzerland, sure. Hawaii..... no way. That's where we start. Certainly you could find some other island chain as a substitute? Madagascar, even?

_Where_ we teleport the Earthlings is really of no matter, as long as we can teleport their mess off this planet along with them. And as long as they can't make it back, somehow. Ever.

So _that's_ where the expression, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" comes from! I've always wondered.

Czleqniak sends her regards, plus some pies.... once we get this teleportation thing working.

Archived