Need a shower and debrief. Just went to a very, very dark place.

Huh?

• Members

Even on that level, I mostly don't find it very entertaining.
:lol:

I don't necessarily care about
changing
anyone's views. But when it comes to political discussion, I do like to have something approaching an honest discussion, even if there's the inevitable exchange of barbs. I have no use for a troll-fest at all.

Exactly. Trouble is, trolls are all the same, and for the most part not LOL-worthy, they're just pathetic.
:bor:
Again, it's how you choose to spend your energy.

Serious discussions get very boring, very fast. If HCPP was nothing but serious discussions, it would be a ghost town. The reason why it is the biggest forum on this site is because of the trolls, and there's no denying that. I do agree that too much trolling can be bad too. There are people like Visconti over there who can't type a single post without saying "Obama" in it, even if it's an off-topic thread that has absolutely nothing to do with Obama at all. However it is fun to wind up aggressive trolls and get them banned, which is what happened to S540 recently.

I have done my fair share of trolling, but I have also done my fair share of starting serious threads (which end up being shat on anyways by trolls from the other side).

Also, another thing: Apparently post facts on HCPP is considered "trolling". For example, Newbie will post facts about the Constitution which will piss off the right, and they'll call her a troll.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Serious discussions get very boring, very fast. If HCPP was nothing but serious discussions, it would be a ghost town.

Well, that's the sad part, I agree. Why is that? Also, there are ways to be funny and entertaining in political discussion without resorting to trolling. It doesn't have to be serious all the time, for sure. But trolling is just lame.

The reason why it is the biggest forum on this site is because of the trolls, and there's no denying that.

Yup... which, again, is sad. But if that's how lots of people want to spend their time, they can have fun with that.

• Members
lol! That would be interesting to read. Fact is, blacks commit more violent crimes than whites, they are poorer with less than average IQs despite a {censored}load of AA programs, their neighborhoods are dirtier and more crime infested, and you can find this all mirrored in africa.

They haven't even been able to come up with a written language, despite being the hometown of all that is human.

This is racist, no doubt. But facts are facts.

Could be a simple case of having no wanderlust, so all the blacks that are still black were simply too... numb to the world to even think about leaving their huts. But they are violent! No doubt about that. Facts weigh that out as well - not to say that violent behavior is bad. Sometimes, you need to be violent when surrounded by violence, just to survive.

Fact is, it's not racist to say that blacks are black because they are products of their environment. And sometimes... you know, being a stupid ass dog that doesn't care about anything except chasing a tennis ball doesn't mean inferiority. It just means you just looooooooooooooove chasing a tennis ball. Comes from sitting on your ass all day until some meat on the wing goes flying past you, and survival depends on catching it.

Same as me.

• Members
I posted over there a few times trying to make some coherent civil discussion. Just couldnt hack the wackos. No matter what position you'd take, Left Right or Center you get chewed up just for posting. No welcome to the disccussion, nice to have you type deal. I think many are a bunch of kids who have zero real life experiences yet. When you have some work experience, you learn that religion and politics discussions are not tolerated in a normal work enviornments. You have to get along with coworkers and it makes people tolerant and respectful for others beliefs because you have no choice if you want to keep your job.

There are whackos everywhere - especially when it comes to politics, it seems. :idk:

But the one thing I want to stress is that the HCPP is NOT a place to go if you expect some kinda workplace (because I don't wanna be fired) civility.

You want that, then I can only say... stay at work.

• Members

A thick skin can't fix stupid.
:D

Now, now, Lee! You used to mod the place. Anderton does a really good job of keeping us from lawyering up, and that's good enough.

I think you just got tired of trying to mod a place that discusses things like tactical drone attacks on countries that the U.S. isn't at war with, and those that vehemently disagree with using civilians as excuses to bomb children using drones using HC rules that basically say "love thy neighbor".

Politics is a sticky wicket for any moderator. The most that can (and maybe should be done) is what Anderton does, which is to make sure we play in the HCPP sandbox without hurting each other.

We've suffered some pretty bad mods over the years, and Anderton's hands-off-unless-it-disturbs-my-nap approach is, by far, the best.

• Members

They should close it down and replace it with a bicycle forum

I made my last three bikes mostly from ebay parts after buying the frames locally, kinda like big person lego and you get a decent bike at the end of it...

Would anyone like to see my holiday snaps from Sardinia?

• Members

Indeed the PP is a piece of worthles {censored}... However,its OUR piece of worthless {censored}..

That being said, after years of posting there daily, I only vist occasionally these days, post much less, and don't stay long.

Unless you are a hard core leftist that hates Christians and Jews, you are badly outnumbered, and grow weary of being called stupid, ignorant,idiot, moron, fundie,homophobe,racist etc etc- ad nauseum- ad infinitum.

• Members

I believe the PP has it's place - when you want to have a gripe be it political or social you can always vent it at the PP forum. As we say - lie down with dogs and you'll always get flees. But lying down with dogs should be a daily requirement for everyone IMO, it helps to broaden the mind.

• Members

actually, there are only about 5 or 6 racist hate-mongers over there, (some masquerading as "Christians" :)) but they are mostly harmless. They basically have an abnormal need for negative attention, and it reflects badly on the entire forum.

I like it because I can scan the board for about 20 minutes and find news, blogs, opinions, facts, graphs, rumors, etc. from a myriad of international sources about events all around the world. It's like a one stop shop for current events,and an insight into how people can interpret these events and come away with completely differing opinions.

• Members

Yeah I kinda got that but holy {censored} it is like a snarling, vicious cage fighting free for all in there. Blood and fur flying as the animals tear each other to pieces. I mean.....posts like if you knew you were having a certain kind of baby would you abort it.....others slamming different ethnicities, religious groups, political ideals etc.

It's just the internet, dude. Relax. Yeah, it's a hole, but it's nothing like a "snarling, vicious cage fight"

Your pal,

GS

• Members

PP is a {censored}hole full of mostly hatefilled idiots. but it sure is fun to read.

The sad thing is watching adults, mostly north of 40 years old, argue back and forth like petulent, self centered arrogant children.

I went in trying to find a place to discuss politics in a civil, logical manner. that disapeared very quickly.

• Members

OTOH there was another racist who dismissed all of Africa as a hellhole. I engaged him in a conversation, pointed out some of the African success stories, noted that other than China and India some of the fastest-growing economies right now are African, etc. etc. I included links to info about these countries. He actually had an open enough mind to listen to what I said and changed his mind to recognize that it was incorrect to think all of Africa is the same. It isn't.

You forgot to mention that he's still a racist though, still considering blacks to be inferior.

Read my sig.

• Members

So HCPP is then a place where cynics and adolescents go to goad cranks and bigots into cage fights, basically. Oh, and everyone wears a mask, and a certain percentage are probably drunk. Occasionally a sincere soul reads the sign on the door and enters, hoping for a decent debate on a real issue or importance, but soon walks out with a thousand WTF?s above their head.

Am I missing anything?

nat whilk ii

No, you've got it, and you would fit right in.

• Members

So HCPP is then a place where cynics and adolescents go to goad cranks and bigots into cage fights, basically. Oh, and everyone wears a mask, and a certain percentage are probably drunk. Occasionally a sincere soul reads the sign on the door and enters, hoping for a decent debate on a real issue or importance, but soon walks out with a thousand WTF?s above their head.

nat whilk ii

And in doing so solidifies their own sense of place amongst, or rather above those who they have just left.

• Members

I should have used my brain before posting this thread....because it seems I have have brought some of the BS here, into a mostly very quiet place. So I apologize for that.

I also apologize to anyone on the PP who feels I called them personally an animal..... that too was supposed to be humerous. I know there are a few decent folks in there.

Yeah, it's a hole, but it's nothing like a "snarling, vicious cage fight"

Going from reading fairly mild stuff like one finds at 99% of music forums where hate speech etc is strictly forbidden, to the PP is like walking out of my daughters gymnastics competition into a no holds barred extreme fight to the death match.

I was tweaked by what I read....but I should have been more careful with my wording in what I said....calling you animals-although it was humor and based on what I saw in there, I'd have thought many of you would enjoy being called that. But obviously you guys are just as sensitive about what is said about you, as anyone else. Otherwise why are you here?

Maybe you guys are desensitized to it but seriously........ where in this country or anywhere else could you stand in public and talk the way you guys do before somebody came along and asked you to elaborate? Just so he was clear what it was that was being said about him, being as he fit into the group the hatred, venom and derogatory comments were aimed at.

C'mon folks. Freedom of speech doesn't mean it's okay to spew hatred and other venomous stuff at blacks, gays, Jews, Christians....

Anyway, don't take it out on these good folks here that have nought to do with it. I'll go post over there and you can have at me personally. Deal?

Archived