Need a shower and debrief. Just went to a very, very dark place.

Huh?

• Members

A couple of hours in the hcpp should cure anyone of the belief that mankind can live in peace and harmony.

it is certainly nearer to reality then any other section of HC, even thus many posting over there are very far from reality

another thing is the folks over at the paleolithic forum have even less clue about music then the folks in this section, which is very interesting for me as musician

btw... I get about 120 PMs per day with the request to ban Craig

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Craig sounds like you're prepped to run for President! Why not join in, everyone else seems to be doing it these days.

Actually, I AM running for president. The first plank in my platform is that all Senators and Representatives have to wear NASCAR jackets with the logos of their corporate sponsors.

• Members
Actually, I linked your thread to PP.
:)

You seem a tad ... over dramatic. If you come to PP, please bring a sense of humour. K
;)

I don't think he's over dramatic. It says he has only 400+ post. The fact that he appears to still be apologetic & sincere is probably just a sign of his real character & probably the fact that he has avoided TPP for most of him 400+ post. I can't remember, but I think I was that way when I first started on HC. For along time, I posted just in the instrument forums & they were pretty civil, nothing going on, not hard to maintain a high standard of civility. I've been on TPP a long time & it wasn't never a paragon of civility, but now there is almost zero. After awhile on TPP, you come over here and can't even recognize civility & classify it as "over dramatic". It's not personal toward you, but it is a gradual blinding you get from the truly consistent, constant, never ceasing uncivil atmosphere we dwell in on TPP. You get a hardshell & if it isn't a condemning criticism & personal attack, then you have a hard time even recognizing civility when it appears.
I'm glad you linked me to here, because I've gotten to read these post from "huh?" and it's been really refreshing to see the consistency with which his post have maintain a much higher level of civility & integrity than you ever see on TPP or any political forum.
huh?......as far as the grief I've given Anderton in this thread, it is none of your doing. I've been on here a long time & either missed or ignored the post of the moderators. Always mistakenly thought of moderators as being unbiased & without opinion. I guess out of a forced necessity, he became quite active on TPP & was answering post, which I hadn't notice moderators doing before(most likely my oversight). I'm having to adjust to a moderator that post his opinions & thoughts. That adjustment is coming very slowly. In all honesty, it's also as he said in his post, part of the problem comes from him not moderating as I would have him moderate. But, contrary to what it seems, I realize that if he did, I'd be a lonely fellow on here.
ps....save you the trouble Shane....... over dramatic, yada,yada,yada:rolleyes:

• Members

Now, about this thread. It doesn't bother me, inter-dimensional rifts are interesting. Most of the visitors here are regulars I know from the PP and it's actually kind of cool...sort of like running into someone unexpectedly in the middle of supermarket parking lot. And I honestly don't care what the HCPP people think of me, because my role there is VERY different from what it is here. In SSS, I try to start interesting discussions and contribute to the ones that have already started. In HCPP, my moderator role is more like a janitor/cop. I start very few threads in HCPP, and quite a few people seem to think the moderator shouldn't get involved in stating opinions. I do anyway from time to time, but I'm more inclined to try to serve as a "fact-checker" and throw correct information into the mix as needed.

I took over as mod there because no one else internal to HC, either as part of the site or a mod, wanted the job because it's thankless and you take a lot of abuse. To be fair, there are also quite a few people who think I do a really good job as moderator because they recognize it is a tightrope balance between allowing unfettered expression and clamping down. When I came there, I promised inconsistent and arbitrary moderation and I'm happy to say that I have kept that pledge. I wasn't trying to be cute, just realistic. I always give the analogy of cops and speeders - they only catch a fraction of the speeders, but hopefully concern about getting caught will act as a deterrent to others. I also depend a lot on reported posts in terms of figuring out how to ban or warn. Sometimes I delete posts rather than ban people, sometimes I temp-ban, sometimes I perma-ban, sometimes I just ignore a problem. As I said...arbitrary and inconsistent. Sometimes I let people spew their hatred so others can know right off the bat who to put on ignore.

I consider the HCPP people posting here as guests, and as long as they don't puke on the rug or attack the kittens, they're welcome to take a breather. They're also welcome to use the pool, but please put the towels back in the hamper when you're done. Also, due to insurance reasons, diving is not allowed. Thank you for your cooperation.

• Members

Wow, its like theres a dimensional rift thats been opened between one forum and another and they've all come over for a visit.

See this is one of those "I wish I hadn't been sipping my root beer while reading this...." moments. Now I have to get a wipe for the monitor, sigh.....

• Members

Actually, I AM running for president. The first plank in my platform is that all Senators and Representatives have to wear NASCAR jackets with the logos of their corporate sponsors.

Hooray! You've got my vote. Also they have to ride around in cars with same. And pose next to them for foto ops.

• Members
I don't think he's over dramatic. It says he has only 400+ post. The fact that he appears to still be apologetic & sincere is probably just a sign of his real character & probably the fact that he has avoided TPP for most of him 400+ post. I can't remember, but I think I was that way when I first started on HC. For along time, I posted just in the instrument forums & they were pretty civil, nothing going on, not hard to maintain a high standard of civility. I've been on TPP a long time & it wasn't never a paragon of civility, but now there is almost zero. After awhile on TPP, you come over here and can't even recognize civility & classify it as "over dramatic". It's not personal toward you, but it is a gradual blinding you get from the truly consistent, constant, never ceasing uncivil atmosphere we dwell in on TPP. You get a hardshell & if it isn't a condemning criticism & personal attack, then you have a hard time even recognizing civility when it appears.

I'm glad you linked me to here, because I've gotten to read these post from "huh?" and it's been really refreshing to see the consistency with which his post have maintain a much higher level of civility & integrity than you ever see on TPP or any political forum.

huh?......as far as the grief I've given Anderton in this thread, it is none of your doing. I've been on here a long time & either missed or ignored the post of the moderators. Always mistakenly thought of moderators as being unbiased & without opinion. I guess out of a forced necessity, he became quite active on TPP & was answering post, which I hadn't notice moderators doing before(most likely my oversight). I'm having to adjust to a moderator that post his opinions & thoughts. That adjustment is coming very slowly. In all honesty, it's also as he said in his post, part of the problem comes from him not moderating as I would have him moderate. But, contrary to what it seems, I realize that if he did, I'd be a lonely fellow on here.

ps....save you the trouble Shane....... over dramatic, yada,yada,yada:rolleyes:

Ok, I'm just jaded. It's been a year for me in the PP. :lol:

:o

• Members
Now, about this thread. It doesn't bother me, inter-dimensional rifts are interesting. Most of the visitors here are regulars I know from the PP and it's actually kind of cool...sort of like running into someone unexpectedly in the middle of supermarket parking lot. And I honestly don't care what the HCPP people think of me, because my role there is VERY different from what it is here. In SSS, I try to start interesting discussions and contribute to the ones that have already started. In HCPP, my moderator role is more like a janitor/cop. I start very few threads in HCPP, and quite a few people seem to think the moderator shouldn't get involved in stating opinions. I do anyway from time to time, but I'm more inclined to try to serve as a "fact-checker" and throw correct information into the mix as needed.

I took over as mod there because no one else internal to HC, either as part of the site or a mod, wanted the job because it's thankless and you take a lot of abuse. To be fair, there are also quite a few people who think I do a really good job as moderator because they recognize it
is
a tightrope balance between allowing unfettered expression and clamping down. When I came there, I promised inconsistent and arbitrary moderation and I'm happy to say that I have kept that pledge. I wasn't trying to be cute, just realistic. I always give the analogy of cops and speeders - they only catch a fraction of the speeders, but hopefully concern about getting caught will act as a deterrent to others. I also depend a lot on reported posts in terms of figuring out how to ban or warn. Sometimes I delete posts rather than ban people, sometimes I temp-ban, sometimes I perma-ban, sometimes I just ignore a problem. As I said...arbitrary and inconsistent. Sometimes I let people spew their hatred so others can know right off the bat who to put on ignore.

I consider the HCPP people posting here as guests, and as long as they don't puke on the rug or attack the kittens, they're welcome to take a breather. They're also welcome to use the pool, but please put the towels back in the hamper when you're done. Also, due to insurance reasons, diving is not allowed. Thank you for your cooperation.

You do fine as PP mod. I don't see a bias. I like how you explain why you close a thread or ban someone.

Hoddy's gonna post that ass kisser candy picture now. :lol:

• Members

I don't think he's over dramatic. It says he has only 400+ post. The fact that he appears to still be apologetic & sincere is probably just a sign of his real character

Excellent point :thu:

As far as the grief I've given Anderton in this thread, it is none of your doing. Always mistakenly thought of moderators as being unbiased & without opinion. I guess out of a forced necessity, he became quite active on TPP & was answering post, which I hadn't notice moderators doing before(most likely my oversight). I'm having to adjust to a moderator that post his opinions & thoughts.

Well, let me make a distinction. I truly believe my moderating is unbiased. I have no agenda, like getting rid of all the liberals or all the conservatives. The only bias comes from the terms of service, which prohibit certain types of behavior. I've banned all shades of the political spectrum at one time or another. Frankly, a lot of times I don't even know what someone's politics are but just get a reported post and see something ban-worthy. For all I know I might have banned a pagan vegetarian neo-con liberal.

Anyone trying to decipher my own biases is probably pretty confused by now. I've defended Barry Goldwater, taken liberal positions on some things, conservative positions on others, think both Fox News and MSNBC are not to be trusted, etc. etc. All I'm interested in is the reality of the situation and the facts. Now, that will always be a problem because no matter how much research I do, I'll never know ALL the sides to a story. But if people actually read what I post, over time they'll discover that I really don't affiliate with any party or ideology; I support those positions that make sense to me, regardless of where they came from. Just because I agree with John Boehner that Congress must be given the ultimate approval on whether to wage war in Libya doesn't make me a fan of John Boehner - it makes me a supporter of that position. If Bernie Sanders or Sarah Palin or Dennis Cucinich had same the same thing, I would have still supported that position.

• Members

HCPP can't be generally representative of average people and their political/religious/social beliefs and attitudes.

If it is then I'm on the wrong planet.

nat whilk ii

In many respects it is exactly that... uniformed people mindlessly spewing party talking points, myths and propaganda they've bought into. Unfortunately real life is pretty much the same, and also as in real life half those people aren

• Members

See this is one of those "I wish I hadn't been sipping my root beer while reading this...." moments. Now I have to get a wipe for the monitor, sigh.....

WRGKMC is bi-forumal. He brings analytical thinking to the PP, and the occasional flash of gonzo to SSS.

• Members

You do fine as PP mod. I don't see a bias. I like how you explain why you close a thread or ban someone.

Hoddy's gonna post that ass kisser candy picture now.
:lol:

Hoddy is, shall we say, a unique entity. I've seen evidence of genuine humanity but also, doses of :facepalm:

Despite all the requests to perma-ban him, I don't because I want to see which side of his personality wins in the end. I've always said I see SSS as performance art; well, the HCPP is like performance art on crack.

• Members

I don't care what side job your doing for earning a living for your family as long you continue sending me my two kilo cocain per week... you are that Craig Anderton, right, or not?

Nice try, but I will not be appointing you drug czar in my administration.

• Members
Hoddy is, shall we say, a unique entity. I've seen evidence of genuine humanity but also, lots of
:facepalm:
Despite all the requests to perma-ban him, I don't because I want to see which side of his personality wins in the end. I've always said I see SSS as performance art; well, the HCPP is like performance art on crack.

I knew from the begining that you run an observation station here. Do you plan to publish your studies on imbecility soon?

• Members

I knew from the begining that you run an observation station here. Do you plan to publish your studies on imbecility soon?

Well, it's actually a little more serious than that. The biggest planet in the Alpha Centauri system is going through tough times, and they've been considering taking over earth because "really, no one would miss it." In a study presented to the Galactic Federation (yes, there really is one), they presented transcripts from the HCPP as evidence that we were really no big deal, and possibly even dangerous. To counter it, I've also been culling certain threads that I'll be presenting to the Galactic Federation on October 4th, and they'll make their decision. So if on October 5th things are as they were, you'll know they accepted my study. If on the other hand you've been incinerated, well, can't win 'em all.

• Members
I am also experienced in counterfeiting
Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey

toomuchsmoking.jpg

Is that a picture of the mountain you are inheriting in the Aichi Prefecture, Paully McRudles Von LongSchlongFluffer?

LOL...... everyone else in the family got a nice inheritance....you, they gave a pile of coal, calling it a .....mountain.

Oh wait a minute ....thats old radomu.......sorry my bad.... Von Huffenschlauser.:lol::thu:

• Members
Excellent point
:thu:

Well, let me make a distinction. I truly believe my
moderating
is unbiased. I have no agenda, like getting rid of all the liberals or all the conservatives. The only bias comes from the terms of service, which prohibit certain types of behavior. I've banned all shades of the political spectrum at one time or another. Frankly, a lot of times I don't even know what someone's politics are but just get a reported post and see something ban-worthy. For all I know I might have banned a pagan vegetarian neo-con liberal.

Anyone trying to decipher my own biases is probably pretty confused by now. I've defended Barry Goldwater, taken liberal positions on some things, conservative positions on others, think both Fox News and MSNBC are not to be trusted, etc. etc. All I'm interested in is the reality of the situation and the facts. Now, that will always be a problem because no matter how much research I do, I'll never know ALL the sides to a story. But if people actually read what I post, over time they'll discover that I really don't affiliate with any party or ideology; I support those positions that make sense to me, regardless of where they came from. Just because I agree with John Boehner that Congress must be given the ultimate approval on whether to wage war in Libya doesn't make me a fan of John Boehner - it makes me a supporter of that position. If Bernie Sanders or Sarah Palin or Dennis Cucinich had same the same thing, I would have still supported that position.

That's the problem, You're supposed to moderate with a bias toward my viewpoints(imho). Look at how long I've been on here....doesn't seniority deserve a little bit of bias(or I'll take sympathy)? The fact that I've endured all these years, shouldn't I expect at least a little loyality & support from the moderator? You know, every now & then, just come on and say "stratosaurus is right". Don't matter where you put it, just pick a thread on TPP & throw it out there.:thu:
btw...thanks for the reply.

• Members

That's the problem, You're supposed to moderate with a bias toward my viewpoints(imho). Look at how long I've been on here....doesn't seniority deserve a little bit of bias(or I'll take sympathy)? The fact that I've endured all these years, shouldn't I expect at least a little loyality & support from the moderator? You know, every now & then, just come on and say "stratosaurus is right."

Too late. I already said "Excellent point :thu:"

I must say (not referring to you, BTW) that there are some posters in there with whom I disagree most of the time. Even banned a few of them for getting out of line. Then one day I'll go in and they'll do a literate, intelligent post where I agree with everything they say in that post, or they give a really intelligent response - whether I agree or not - instead of just saying "Go suck donkey balz, you idiot :idea:"

It's cool when that happens. Even some Alpha Centaurians grudgingly admit there might be hope.

Archived