Thoughts about putting more money into a guitar than it's worth

scolfax

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Exactly, that's how I'm looking at it.

6662877869_18954a8a59_z.jpg

It's a 1992 PRS CE24. The neck is amazing - feels like it was custom built for my hand.

There's no way that a fret job could cost more than that guitar is worth. Those typically go for between $800 and $1200 unless I'm missing something. A fret job cannot possibly cost more than $400 these days, can it?

• Members

If the frets need to be replaced then there's really not an option unless you are willing to part with it for a price that is probably less than the approximate price of the work needed to be done. If you like the guitar that much then it's definitely worth it. BryanMichael basically said what I was going to say about regular maintenance; it happens.

• Members

Don't feel bad. I just had my car in for servicing and the bill was about twice what I paid for the car a couple of years ago.

I think this is fairly common, especially with stuff that's well made enough to make it worth keeping for years. It's not at all uncommon to pay $1000 / year, or more, to keep an old girl like the one in the avatar pic running. I paid so little for my PRS that I'll almost certainly exceed that figure in maintenance costs (eventually).

• Members

I bought a used PRS Santana SE for around $300 and I've put more than that into it (without hesitation). I bought it specifically to use as a project guitar and I've added a Sustainiac, Roland synth pickup, Duncan Custom Custom w/ 3 way switching, GraphTech bridge saddles, and Planet Waves locking tuners. It's an awesome guitar with unique sonic capabilities and I'm happy I invested in it.

PRS.jpg

Also a few years ago I bought a used Jay Turser Les Paul goldtop copy for $80 to use as a backup/beater guitar. It turned out to be a surprisingly good guitar and I eventually upgraded it with a Duncan Jazz w/ series-parallel switching in the neck, a Gibson 500T in the bridge, and Sperzel locking tuners. All of which cost way more than the guitar itself, however, I already had all those parts laying around from other guitars.

• Members

Thanks guys, great feedback! Yeah, I pretty much fell in love with this guitar, especially the neck. I'm not thinking of it as any sort of investment and I'm not into the flipping scene.

you just answered your own question...go for it...can't put a price on Mojo.

• Members

Exactly, that's how I'm looking at it.

6662877869_18954a8a59_z.jpg

It's a 1992 PRS CE24. The neck is amazing - feels like it was custom built for my hand.

That looks like an expensive guitar to me :cop: but if you love it it's total worthwhile regardless

I did a SS refret on a MIM strat. Before doing it I went and played a lot of other strats including MIA and deluxe MIA. None of them felt better to me from a playing standpoint so I put the $$ into the guitar and haven't looked back or had a bit of regret. And know I know all my refrets will be SS too :D

• Members

This is exactly how I feel. And even then I have not have not been able to convince myself to have the frets leveled on my very first guitar ever. It needs it, but it's an old Squier I got in 1998 for $150. Only reason I still have it is because it was my first guitar ever and it was a present from my mom.

Buck and a half? Whadya got to lose? Learn to level the frets. If you totally phuck it up, replace them. Keep replacing them till you know how to do fret work. It was eluded to earlier, but the value of learning to do this {censored} can NOT be measured in dollars and cents.

• Members

There's no way that a fret job could cost more than that guitar is worth. Those typically go for between $800 and $1200 unless I'm missing something. A fret job cannot possibly cost more than $400 these days, can it?

He never said the fret job would cost more than the value of the guitar. He said he just purchased the guitar, and the purchase price + the fret work would exceed the current value of the guitar.

To the OP: if you really dig the guitar as much as it sounds like, then installing frets that will make you even happier sounds like a reasonable reason to outlay cash!

• Members

Buck and a half? Whadya got to lose? Learn to level the frets. If you totally phuck it up, replace them. Keep replacing them till you know how to do fret work. It was eluded to earlier, but the value of learning to do this {censored} can NOT be measured in dollars and cents.

This is true...

• Members

The top guy around here charges $600 for a stainless refret, which is obsurd to me, considering standard fret wire refret is $350 - $400.

• Members

yup been there , done that. Well worth it.

$300 Squier+

$160 Fralin PUPs

$50 pickguard

$12 bridgeplate

$20 saddles

$10 control plate

$12 knobs

$5 switch tip

$2 hook up wire

$12 electrosocket jack

$10 switchcraft jack

$10 oak-grisby switch

$3 PIO cap

total=$600

gold5.jpg

• Members

yup been there , done that. Well worth it.

$300 Squier+

$160 Fralin PUPs

$50 pickguard

$12 bridgeplate

$20 saddles

$10 control plate

$12 knobs

$5 switch tip

$2 hook up wire

$12 electrosocket jack

$10 switchcraft jack

$10 oak-grisby switch

$3 PIO cap

total=$600

gold5.jpg

No offense, but that just makes me realize how much I do not want to buy cheap gear and upgrade it. Here in California $600 gets you a lightly used American Standard Tele/Strat, used SG Standard, or used Les Paul Studio. Like I said, no offense, but I would rather have any of the three guitars I mentioned here for the same price as a modded Squier. Then again, that's just my two cents.

• Members

The top guy around here charges $600 for a stainless refret, which is obsurd to me, considering standard fret wire refret is $350 - $400.

Right, I took it to the best guy around, and stainless refret including Plek is $550.

If the guitar was mint (and it's not) it would go for $1600.

• Members
For me, it'd have to be a sentimental situation. If I could just go get a new version of that guitar for less money, I'd do that. But if you can't replace it, like say it was your first guitar or something like that, then you gotta do what you gotta do. Just don't go buy some cheap POS and spend a pile making it play as good as something you could have just bought in the first place. I see people doing that all the time and, well, it's idiotic. Plenty of good guitars at all kinds of price points.

totally agree...however, that kind of thinking isn't popular around these parts...:thu:

• Members

i'm looking into completely renovating my kitchen.... i was looking at "if i spend this amount... will it increase the value of the house by exactly how much to make it worth it" etc

the thing is... we don't plan on moving... so i'm just going to put a kitchen in that we love... we'll be using it.... screw all that other stuff

the point i'm getting at is go for it... if it's a great guitar it's totally worth it

and not all guitars are equal... i've played a heap of guitars and basses lately in my quest for a strat and a new bass... i'm glad i did... i found the bass i wanted... i liked it more than others that were the same model (i'm talking tone and playability)

• Members

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Single color pre-factory CE24's go for the price you quoted. One with that top is going to go for more. I'm not sure what math the OP is using.

Edit: gotcha, misunderstood the post.

• Members

He never said the fret job would cost more than the value of the guitar. He said he just purchased the guitar, and the purchase price + the fret work would exceed the current value of the guitar.

To the OP: if you really dig the guitar as much as it sounds like, then installing frets that will make you even happier sounds like a reasonable reason to outlay cash!

From a collector standpoint, a pre-factory CE24 in good physical condition with a good top is going to go UP in value, not down, even with a refret.

• Members

Really?! Man, I'm glad I do my own guitar work now. A refret costs me the price of the fret wire and any tools I may need if my existing tools aren't up to the task like a stainless job.

• Members

If you paid $1,600 for that guitar, and it needs new frets, you might have overpaid. If you just prefer stainless than that's a different story.

Bottom line, you got a fantastic guitar that looks beautiful and has the perfect neck for you. If you want stainless (and understand how that effects tone and string life), then go for it. Its not like these guitars were available with stainless, so that upgrade if you want it, costs what it costs.

I just bought a CE24 today that could definitely do with a fret dressing. If I'm not careful I could exceed the cost of one that didn't require one. (the guitar plays fine and i have the fret tools already if i want to save $$ and tackle it myself) On the other hand, I got some cheap guitars worth $200 that need a refret that will probably never get it due to cost vs value.

Consider the fret job a maintenance issue and an upgrade. Those frets should last forever once you do that swap too.

Archived