Thoughts about putting more money into a guitar than it's worth

scolfax

• Members

I don't think it's necessary to justify the prices that we pay for guitars and their associated repairs and upgrades these days. Yes, there are stupid purchases, we've all probably fallen victim at one time or another. But investing in a very nice guitar that you really like and then putting more money into it to make it even better makes perfect sense to me.

I bought a Martin D-18 in 1971 and it's a really sweet sounding guitar. I've taken pretty good care of it, but it needs regular neck resets and Martin takes care of that with their lifetime warranty. It's had a reset about every 8-10 years. It has also had three sets of frets. The fret jobs have cost me a total of $1000 over the years; I paid $350 for the guitar new.

I think that part of the problem is that we are not thinking long term around here. I'm pretty sure that twenty years from now, those of us who have guitars made of solid mahogany, maple, rosewood, ebony, and other tropical woods are going to be either sitting on a goldmine or unable to sell anything because of the environmentalists. I'm hoping for the former.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:facepalm: I once bought a $100 harmony h 802, had a lolar p-90 put in the bridge, new pots, and caps and had a professional setup done. cost of the work + parts: $350.

That being said, the neck is absolutely wonderful, and the body is very comfy/ascetically pleasing.

• Members

Really?! Man, I'm glad I do my own guitar work now. A refret costs me the price of the fret wire and any tools I may need if my existing tools aren't up to the task like a stainless job.

That's really cool! BTW they said the biggest reason working on stainless costs so much more is getting the fret ends right. They said it was really time consuming.

• Members

No offense, but that just makes me realize how much I do not want to buy cheap gear and upgrade it. Here in California $600 gets you a lightly used American Standard Tele/Strat, used SG Standard, or used Les Paul Studio. Like I said, no offense, but I would rather have any of the three guitars I mentioned here for the same price as a modded Squier. Then again, that's just my two cents.

But look at his hardware list. You would rather have the factory choice for everything, but he has exactly the components he chose. Different strokes for different folks, both positions are valid, but they don't get you to the same place, IMO. And yeah, i tend to put my money in the hardware,

• Members

No offense, but that just makes me realize how much I do not want to buy cheap gear and upgrade it. Here in California $600 gets you a lightly used American Standard Tele/Strat, used SG Standard, or used Les Paul Studio. Like I said, no offense, but I would rather have any of the three guitars I mentioned here for the same price as a modded Squier. Then again, that's just my two cents.

look at it this way: I already had all those parts (except for the pickgaurd) so its more a question of would you not use those parts because the initial value is less? Makes no sense to me where a guitar is made deams whether or not it deserves good parts.

and I do most of that to all my Teles: electrosocket, new pots, switch, saddles etc; so take away PUPs and pickguard were talking $70-would you put $70 into a $300 guitar?

it didnt "need" anything really, except maybe new saddles.

• Members

Good point. However there are some people who are gonna mod the phuck outa just about anything they get, even if the mods bring the tone down. For those types, get an elcheapo.

• Members

I bought a cheap LP copy, the pups I'm going to put in it are more expensive than the guitar itself cost.

Gee, I was beginning to think I was the only one who had done that (more than once, in fact)!

I think it's kinda like the old street racer. He's the guy driving what LOOKS to be a loser car... because the majority of his money is in what makes it go. And if you aren't careful, he will take some of yours!

• Members

I spent $200 for my kramer focus 5 years ago, since then it's been thru two refinishes, 3 pickup changes, floyd rose upgrades, pots, caps, a replacement neck, I think I soaked about $500 into it since buying it, it's my number one player and will remain my number one for a long time. It doesn't bother me at all to soak $$$ into a good "player" guitar.

• Members

Gee, I was beginning to think I was the only one who had done that (more than once, in fact)!

I think it's kinda like the old street racer. He's the guy driving what LOOKS to be a loser car... because the majority of his money is in what makes it go. And if you aren't careful, he will take some of yours!

OT: I had a high school buddy like that: he had a late 70s Olds Custom Cruiser wagon with a heavily modified 403 V8 in it. The car looked beat to {censored} and like it was never washed, but when you floored it that thing would go like an ass-kicked cat. He won quite a lot of beer/gas money off of unsuspecting Mustang, Firebird and Camaro owners in the early 80s with that thing. ;)

Archived