Most OVERRATED/OVERPRICED Piece of Gear Out There Right Now?

steve_man

• Members

I hear ya... and my opinion isn't any more or less valid than yours, but how much is an all tube Marshall amp? They sell many of them, right? A decent number of those purchases likely end up with an 'I love the sound, but I wish I could get it at a much lower volume'.

I dunno... I'm probably wrong though.

I'm not being defensive though... I have zero interest in them and have zero interest in the Class 5. I prefer getting my Marshall tones with a pedal through an amp that has great cleans.

:lol:

Yup...if these amps were in the same price range as a Class 5, I might be more interested. But...at twice that...they're just making money because they can. When you can get a pretty convincing Marshall tone from a pedal these days...what's the point of paying all that for one tone?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I guess it's a matter of semantics. It's only 'overpriced' if people won't pay those for it. It's only overrated if folks something based on its ratings or hype, then find it doesn't live up to expectations.

:idk:

Guitars like the 1984 EVH jobbie, the copy of Clapton's Blackie, Harrison's Gretsch reissue, Andy Summers' tele... they sold quite a few copies of all of them.

If something is priced beyond what YOU want to pay for it, well... it's just priced out of your comfort zone. :lol:

Ferrari's for example. They sell pretty much every one they build, and in many instances, the entire production run is sold before the first one leaves the factory. They are expensive and they are extravagant, but they are not overpriced. On the other hand, for a number of years while Ford still owned Hertz, they would intentionally build more of the Taurus model than they were going to sell to actual customers. They knew this and intentionally did it anyway so they could claim the Taurus as the #1 best selling car. They'd sell the leftovers to Hertz then a few months later, would clear them out as last year's model for a little over half off the sticker price. That means the Taurus was overpriced and Ferrari's are priced properly.

It's just economics. :lol:

• Members

I guess it's a matter of semantics. It's only 'overpriced' if people won't pay those for it. It's only overrated if folks something based on its ratings or hype, then find it doesn't live up to expectations.

Guitars like the 1984 EVH jobbie, the copy of Clapton's Blackie, Harrison's Gretsch reissue, Andy Summers' tele... they sold quite a few copies of all of them.

If something is priced beyond what YOU want to pay for it, well... it's just priced out of your comfort zone.

Ferrari's for example. They sell pretty much every one they build, and in many instances, the entire production run is sold before the first one leaves the factory. They are expensive and they are extravagant, but they are not overpriced. On the other hand, for a number of years while Ford still owned Hertz, they would intentionally build more of the Taurus model than they were going to sell to actual customers. They knew this and intentionally did it anyway so they could claim the Taurus as the #1 best selling car. They'd sell the leftovers to Hertz then a few months later, would clear them out as last year's model for a little over half off the sticker price. That means the Taurus was overpriced and Ferrari's are priced properly.

It's just economics.

So, is something introduced at a high price and then discounted over its lifecycle to be considered overpriced on launch or not?

• Members
Right on... and I'm probably wrong. I mean, it's not like there are more people looking for the Marshall tone available at bedroom levels at a reasonably affordable price than people looking for $15,000+ gaudy guitars that would be embarrassing to play in public.

:thu:

Oh wait... did you really just compare a 1W Marshall to a PRS Dragon?
:freak:

Er no I didnt.

• Members

Always been a big fan of his, but the new Ace Frehley Gibson Les Pauls are ridiculously overpriced. Yes, I realize they are only making 50 of the aged/signed ones, but a $18,821 list price ($13K street price) is outrageous. The "unsigned" one is just as ridiculous: $12,235 list price ($8,700 street price).

The Epiphone version looks to sell for $799, which I still think is too much for a MIC guitar...but at least it still gets DiMarzio pickups, and ebony fretboard, and the pearl-button tuners that the Gibson ones have.

• Members
So, is something introduced at a high price and then discounted over its lifecycle to be considered overpriced on launch or not?

Hard to say... sometimes I think it's a matter of a manufacturer not quite knowing their market or how large it will or won't be. Sometimes the price is lowered, sometimes it's completely blown out and sometimes they just didn't advertise it well enough.

• Members

Moan moan moan moan moan.

You celebrate your 'freedoms' in a free market economy, and all you can constantly do is MOAN about how expensive the products of your luxurious lifestyle are. You vote for governments that decide to base their policies on the rule of the market in almost every facet of your lives, but all you can do is complain about it.

The biggest rip offs are the following: insurance costs in nearly any context, estate agents bills (both of these economic activities are basically extractive, producing nothing and not usually based on more than the marshalling of data); lawyers fees (let me charge you