SOT: Anybody feel annoyed by entitled online shoppers?

honeyiscool

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by harold heckuba View Post
This thread has taken a turn on the prior page that reminds me of an incident from years
ago on this forum. Does anyone recall the kid who was buying guitars at GC and switching
the name brand pickups out for generics, then returning the guitar?

And then a member, I think it was Smurfco, tracked the guy down via his avatar and called
the appropriate GC and tipped them off. I think the guy got arrested or close to being
arrested.

That thread went on for days and was some of the best reading ever.
I totally remember that. Complete douchebaggery and outstanding interwebz readingthumb.gif

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by harold heckuba View Post
This thread has taken a turn on the prior page that reminds me of an incident from years
ago on this forum. Does anyone recall the kid who was buying guitars at GC and switching
the name brand pickups out for generics, then returning the guitar?

And then a member, I think it was Smurfco, tracked the guy down via his avatar and called
the appropriate GC and tipped them off. I think the guy got arrested or close to being
arrested.

That thread went on for days and was some of the best reading ever.
I recall hearing about it, but I believe it was before I joined. Regardless, that was a pretty petty thing to do. However, a while back there was this one used Crate amp at our local GC that had a sweet vintage ElectroVoice 12L in it that was priced lower than the 12L was worth. idea.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl View Post
I'm quitting smoking...pretty much got a jump start and I'm down to 1 or 2 a day...at least I'm keeping those secret and I'm in a healthy state of denial.

I also have a gear acquisition plan...I think I might marry a M123/MF girl so I can get access to the employee discount and then come on HCEG and gloat about it biggrin.gif
Both are very worthy goals, IMO. Especially if she's a hottie! biggrin.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius View Post
Hypertension is no doubt a killer. My PB isn't quite high enough to go on meds yet in spite of my being overweight. However, that doesn't mean I shouldn't try. Sounds like losing your coworker was a big wake up call.

About that no new gear for 2012 thing .. you're not the only one who massively failed in that respect. facepalm.gifbiggrin.gif I had set a goal of buying 1 nice guitar per year and now I'm already into 2015's budget.
Oddly enough, my friend at work and I would spar like Titans over the years. Sometimes he was even trying to get me fired, but he ran paranoid from time to time and our boss loves to pit the dept heads against each other, so that's just something we do to pass the years. wink.gif But we'd always get beyond the rough times and enjoy our moments of just talkin {censored}. Mostly funny old {censored}. But most people would have looked at that guy and thought "heart attack waiting to happen". But really, he was more active in his private life than I am, so I thought he was genetically programmed to "deal with it". I guess not. frown.gif

But on gear, I'm just lazy. It's easy to hit "submit order" or even "complete order". But I should eventually evolve my GAS into "dispostion" and "reacquistion". Like I could have 10 Custom Shop "anything" and have less bucks out and clutter than I do in my current herd of gear. Same goes for amps.

Maybe a collection a bit more like what docjeffery has been doing should be a reso somewhere down the road. I do have some Gibson CS pieces, but my Fender stuff is fairly pedestrian. Nothing above a "Deluxe" or EJ/SRVs.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man View Post
Oddly enough, my friend at work and I would spar like Titans over the years. Sometimes he was even trying to get me fired, but he ran paranoid from time to time and our boss loves to pit the dept heads against each other, so that's just something we do to pass the years. wink.gif But we'd always get beyond the rough times and enjoy our moments of just talkin {censored}. Mostly funny old {censored}. But most people would have looked at that guy and thought "heart attack waiting to happen". But really, he was more active in his private life than I am, so I thought he was genetically programmed to "deal with it". I guess not. frown.gif

But on gear, I'm just lazy. It's easy to hit "submit order" or even "complete order". But I should eventually evolve my GAS into "dispostion" and "reacquistion". Like I could have 10 Custom Shop "anything" and have less bucks out and clutter than I do in my current herd of gear. Same goes for amps.

Maybe a collection a bit more like what docjeffery has been doing should be a reso somewhere down the road. I do have some Gibson CS pieces, but my Fender stuff is fairly pedestrian. Nothing above a "Deluxe" or EJ/SRVs.
I'm not sure I would be as forgiving about a colleague who had tried to get me fired. eek.gif

As for the gear, I agree with the whole quality over quantity quandry. It has taken me several years, but I do believe that there is an increase in the "what I'm looking for in a guitar" factor as the price goes up. My cutoff is still around the $1,300 ballpark, but for Fender guitars and Fender-like partscasters that's a good bang for the buck dollar figure. At some point I'd like to get a couple of the new American Vintage series, but it can wait for now.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius View Post
I'm not sure I would be as forgiving about a colleague who had tried to get me fired. eek.gif
I'm making just a hair of a leap there, but what happens where I work, is that if someone can put you down to make themselves look better, it often happens. The funny thing about this guy and why I referred to him as "paranoid" was because he was very securely entrenched in the no. 2 position, but he never felt secure. And we're all "at will employees". So if I gave him an inch, he'd take it. But you know, it's like a marriage. You get used to the quirks and can still see the love. icon_lol.gif

But yeah, I had my "Sales Engineer at Sweetwater one day basically tell me (kindly) that he thought I was missing the boat by not getting into the Fender Custom Shop models. He knows how much {censored} I've been buying so he knows I could afford it if I wasn't in their "Guitar Of The Month" club. freak.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by joemonkey View Post
My take is that a lot of the Hall of Fame Members here get really, super, duper butthurt whenever someone with barely a scintilla-of-a-post-count dares question their posting wisdom. You have to approach with a bowed head and a submissive, raised anus or you'll be called a "newbie" and told to know your role in the hierarchy. In my opinion, a person's first post is just as valid as someone's 8,398th post.

If you find it interesting that a number of "those" people come out of the woodwork in threads like this, then what could that possibly mean? Do you think it may, just may, have more to it then a "pack mentality"? Maybe a desire to express an opinion with a group of other like-minded individuals without being told to STFU or go back to TGP?

Anyhoo, thanks for your reasoned response. Others could learn a thing or two...
tumblr_lw0h1up9hB1r4wbxyo1_400.jpg

• Members

I've seen this behavior before. Anytime you get an online forum going, it's going to draw people like this. They come at first for the tips, or reviews, and then they get sucked in by the comradeship and drama. Eventually, they become addicted, and they rack up thousands of posts, check the forum at all hours, and become like those little rats constantly pulling the lever for their dopamine rush. If there is no conflict they need to generate it. You can usually tell who they are because they invent their own language.

To justify their behavior they assume that something important is going on here, ostensibly the sharing of music-related information, but in reality they view every post as "high value" or "low value" based on how much of a rush it gives them. They look at members not as people, but as user accounts, and they're willing to tolerate many more low value posts from a high value account than they are from a low value account.

One of the things I like most about this place is that these addict-types seem to be in the minority. It's been worse since all the forum crashes though.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius

View Post

Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone have any good New Year's resolutions? Something other than the usual lose some weight and be more fiscally responsible? Those two are on my list every year, but never seem to get resolved. biggrin.gif

My New Year's resolution is to get good enough at guitar to not {censored} up my own songs. smile.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Wayne2 View Post
I've seen this behavior before. Anytime you get an online forum going, it's going to draw people like this. They come at first for the tips, or reviews, and then they get sucked in by the comradeship and drama. Eventually, they become addicted, and they rack up thousands of posts, check the forum at all hours, and become like those little rats constantly pulling the lever for their dopamine rush. If there is no conflict they need to generate it. You can usually tell who they are because they invent their own language.

To justify their behavior they assume that something important is going on here, ostensibly the sharing of music-related information, but in reality they view every post as "high value" or "low value" based on how much of a rush it gives them. They look at members not as people, but as user accounts, and they're willing to tolerate many more low value posts from a high value account than they are from a low value account.

One of the things I like most about this place is that these addict-types seem to be in the minority. It's been worse since all the forum crashes though.
How was that dopamine fix for you? Feel less mad bro? wink.gif

Archived