What are you currently trying to learn musically?

nedezero1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, arcadesonfire said:

Also just had first choir rehearsal of the fall last night. I hadn't sung for two months. WHEWEEE, I lost all my chops. Gotta do a lot of scales and arps before next rehearsal.

I have just become physically able to play guitar after over 2 years away from the instrument. I feel your pain.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Learning to care again. "Maybe this new guitar will get me playing!" :lol:

If I do play more, I'll probably just play ancient Metallica riffs, or write my own stuff like I normally did. I would definitely do the latter over the former once I swap out the strings, de-tune, and set up the guitar. I don't know anyone else's music out of a standard E tuning.

• Moderators
Just now, arcadesonfire said:

Ah, good point. I will count myself lucky. Now go get your dorian scales back in good shape!

That one is pretty much hard-wired into my brain, it's pretty much the only thing I still have under my fingers :lol:

Seriously though, it's been really interesting - I still have all my scales, patterns, chord shapes, etc.... what I dont have is speed, accuracy and stamina. But I am looking at this as a great opportunity to correct a lot of bad habits and techniques that were ingrained in my playing, and now aren't, by virtue of not having played for so long. 

• Members
1 minute ago, Red Ant said:

That one is pretty much hard-wired into my brain, it's pretty much the only thing I still have under my fingers :lol:

Seriously though, it's been really interesting - I still have all my scales, patterns, chord shapes, etc.... what I dont have is speed, accuracy and stamina. But I am looking at this as a great opportunity to correct a lot of bad habits and techniques that were ingrained in my playing, and now aren't, by virtue of not having played for so long. 

That's an excellent perspective.

I find that my strumming hand is much slower than years back when I was in a regularly gigging band. The main thing that got my hand so nimble was that the drummer often demanded only downstrokes. Simple exercises/restrictions like that can add a lot to our playing. Godspeed as you get your groove back.

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Donny G said:

Well, one thing is certain, the 'Eagles' own the 'dominant 7th' dimension.

Not sure I understand this. You mean, The Eagles, as in the band? Cause its nigh impossible to "own the 7th dimension" when you consider that the Blues, foundational as it is for every genre thereafter, is nothing BUT 7th chords.

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, arcadesonfire said:

That's an excellent perspective.

I find that my strumming hand is much slower than years back when I was in a regularly gigging band. The main thing that got my hand so nimble was that the drummer often demanded only downstrokes. Simple exercises/restrictions like that can add a lot to our playing. Godspeed as you get your groove back.

My picking hand has always lagged behind my fretting hand... it's one of the things I will be attempting to correct. I learned to alternate-pick everything early on, and whenever I attempt to economy pick or, gawd forbid, sweep, my time falls apart.

As for strumming... I don't 😂

• Members
5 minutes ago, Red Ant said:

Not sure I understand this. You mean, The Eagles, as in the band? Cause its nigh impossible to "own the 7th dimension" when you consider that the Blues, foundational as it is for every genre thereafter, is nothing BUT 7th chords.

Yea yea I know, but I am writing this and the F#+ substitution for the minor third is so' Eagles', if music heaven is divided up in blocks, and you stumbled into the '7th floor, you would see the "Eagles' hall of fame on the wall.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Donny G said:

Yea yea I know, but I am writing this and the F#+ substitution for the minor third is so' Eagles', if music heaven is divided up in blocks, and you stumbled into the '7th floor, you would see the "Eagles' hall of fame on the wall.

Really? I kinda picture Pops Armstrong, Robert Johnson and Lightnin' Hopkins sitting there as the elevator doors open :lol:

"It change when Lightnin' say it change!" :D

• Members

I’ve been taking alto sax lessons for the last few months... I’ve played classical piano, then rock, then jazz over the last 50 years.

The piano is like a music typewriter... any idiot can play any single note just as well as Oscar or Thelonius or Mozart... just push a key down.  The very obviousness of how to make music on a piano is what makes it so cool to play.  Press a bunch of notes at once and evoke a color... keep doing it and make music... or noise.

The sax can only play one note at a time, but that note can honk, or growl, or sing, or sob, or throb, or bend, or scoop in the hands of a master... who strings together blistering fast brilliance... or squeal like a frightened pig in the hands of a beginner.  Some notes take no fingers, some take all your fingers and other parts of your hand.  Some intervals are easy, others are like a finger puzzle.  Some notes can be fingered two or three different ways to make certain intervals less awkward... which makes improvising very interesting.

I’m loving it... I’ve been renting a crap instrument and starting to look into buying a better horn.  I’ll never master the thing, but somehow the people I play with think I know what I’m doing : )

spacer.png

• Members
3 hours ago, nedezero1 said:

Being a "weekend warrior" guitar player (been playing badly for over 35 years), I don't get to practice as much as I'd like.

However I do try to select at least one piece, exercise, etc. to learn that is usually way beyond my capabilities. I figure you don't improve if you only play what you know or just simple stuff.

My recent effort is to learn Uli John Roth's intro to "Sails of Charon". Uli was shredding before shredding was a thing. 

I've got the picking/fingering down, but only at 100bpm. Trying to get it to 120bpm with a metronome.  These 53 year old fingers don't move so fast anymore. :lol:

A friend of mine turned me on to Uli some years ago, and I really enjoy some of his work, that tune being one example. Metal is a small part of my musical taste spectrum, but it's definitely there with emphasis. I'm a huge Megadeth fan for instance and still enjoy Slayer from time to time (though I was more in the fanatic category in the early days.)

Am going to see Iron Maiden on Tuesday, and I'm very curious how they will sound after all these years. One of the best live bands ever...or so I've heard. I can't imagine that Bruce Dickinson can still hit those notes but well see! Can't wait to hear Powerslave, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Aces High and so many more. 

Musically on my own I've been working on James Jamerson stuff for ages as all bass players do knowingly or unknowingly...and trying to re-gear my horribly bad  right hand and finger technique with limited success. I have never and will never be able to play Steve Harris' stuff..... :0

• Members
Just now, Zig al-din said:

A friend of mine turned me on to Uli some years ago, and I really enjoy some of his work, that tune being one example. Metal is a small part of my musical taste spectrum, but it's definitely there with emphasis. I'm a huge Megadeth fan for instance and still enjoy Slayer from time to time (though I was more in the fanatic category in the early days.)

Am going to see Iron Maiden on Tuesday, and I'm very curious how they will sound after all these years. One of the best live bands ever...or so I've heard. I can't imagine that Bruce Dickinson can still hit those notes but well see! Can't wait to hear Powerslave, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Aces High and so many more. 

Musically on my own I've been working on James Jamerson stuff for ages as all bass players do knowingly or unknowingly...and trying to re-gear my horribly bad  right hand and finger technique with limited success. I have never and will never be able to play Steve Harris' stuff..... :0

Yeah I indulge in the heavier arts quite often. :D

I really dig older Maiden, but their stuff after Powerslave all sounds the same to me. Harris' rhythms seem to never vary all that much IMO. Like Zakk's leads.

Big fan of Killers, Number, and Powerslave!

MD with Marty FTW. Closest thing to having Becker in the band.

As soon as I finish with Sails, I'm tackling Hangar 18 next.

• Members
1 hour ago, Red Ant said:

My picking hand has always lagged behind my fretting hand... it's one of the things I will be attempting to correct. I learned to alternate-pick everything early on, and whenever I attempt to economy pick or, gawd forbid, sweep, my time falls apart.

As for strumming... I don't 😂

Sounds like you trained in jazz. Who woulda guessed?

• Members
19 minutes ago, nedezero1 said:

Yeah I indulge in the heavier arts quite often. :D

I really dig older Maiden, but their stuff after Powerslave all sounds the same to me. Harris' rhythms seem to never vary all that much IMO. Like Zakk's leads.

Big fan of Killers, Number, and Powerslave!

MD with Marty FTW. Closest thing to having Becker in the band.

As soon as I finish with Sails, I'm tackling Hangar 18 next.

Steve Harris is one of those guys with an inimitable style. It works and doesn't sound like anyone else so win win. He's not what I'd call a groove or pocket bass player, but what he does is incredible and perfect for Maiden. I don't think it matters that it never varies - All Albert King's guitar solos sound the same to me and that just means they all sound great. :D

I haven't heard much of Maiden's music after Powerslave but what I have heard was not as cool as the earlier stuff, the famous "trilogy" you mentioned is IT. 

Agreed about Marty Freidman. One of the best and distinctive guitarists and musicians in any genre. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, lerber3 said:

I’ve been taking alto sax lessons for the last few months... I’ve played classical piano, then rock, then jazz over the last 50 years.

The piano is like a music typewriter... any idiot can play any single note just as well as Oscar or Thelonius or Mozart... just push a key down.  The very obviousness of how to make music on a piano is what makes it so cool to play.  Press a bunch of notes at once and evoke a color... keep doing it and make music... or noise.

The sax can only play one note at a time, but that note can honk, or growl, or sing, or sob, or throb, or bend, or scoop in the hands of a master... who strings together blistering fast brilliance... or squeal like a frightened pig in the hands of a beginner.  Some notes take no fingers, some take all your fingers and other parts of your hand.  Some intervals are easy, others are like a finger puzzle.  Some notes can be fingered two or three different ways to make certain intervals less awkward... which makes improvising very interesting.

I’m loving it... I’ve been renting a crap instrument and starting to look into buying a better horn.  I’ll never master the thing, but somehow the people I play with think I know what I’m doing : )

spacer.png

Alto, huh? I got two words for you.... Cannonball Adderley.

Ok maybe two more: Paul Desmond 

:D

• Members
1 hour ago, lerber3 said:

spacer.png

Got wind?

• Members
4 hours ago, Red Ant said:

Its straight 4/4, the 1st piano note comes in on 1 &, an 8th note behind the bar line. 

Haha!  Yes that was it!  So simple now that I know it.   One of those things where I couldn’t get past hearing my own count and then once the drums came in I couldn’t turn it around.   And then it bears no relation to what the vocalist is doing.  

It was driving me crazy.  Thanks!

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Vito Corleone said:

Haha!  Yes that was it!  So simple now that I know it.   One of those things where I couldn’t get past hearing my own count and then once the drums came in I couldn’t turn it around.   And then it bears no relation to what the vocalist is doing.  

It was driving me crazy.  Thanks!

I've been trying to get the clav intro to this for what has too be 20 years... and i STILL don't have it quite right :angry07: Max Middleton is a tricky mofo!!!

• Members
1 hour ago, Red Ant said:

Alto, huh? I got two words for you.... Cannonball Adderley.

Ok maybe two more: Paul Desmond 

:D

Yeah... it’s pretty discouraging listening to musicians who grew up playing the instrument.  I can kinda wail on the solo to ‘Careless Whisper’... the good player really know how to hit the best notes (high C#... no fingers!) at the most important places.  I’ll settle for not sucking too badly : )

Archived