What are you currently trying to learn musically?

nedezero1

• Members

Being a "weekend warrior" guitar player (been playing badly for over 35 years), I don't get to practice as much as I'd like.

However I do try to select at least one piece, exercise, etc. to learn that is usually way beyond my capabilities. I figure you don't improve if you only play what you know or just simple stuff.

My recent effort is to learn Uli John Roth's intro to "Sails of Charon". Uli was shredding before shredding was a thing. 

I've got the picking/fingering down, but only at 100bpm. Trying to get it to 120bpm with a metronome.  These 53 year old fingers don't move so fast anymore. :lol:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Same thing I'm always working on... expanding my ears and my vocabulary. Lately, I've been tackling Wayne Shorter and McCoy Tyner tunes. I'm currently at the "I suck" stage with them, but I'm slowly starting to get comfortable with a few of them.

• Members

This may sound lame but I could actually use some help on this: 

my band has been asked to do Rascal Flatts’ “My Wish” for a wedding this weekend.  And this is one we get asked to play from time to time and have done it before.   But I have never been able to figure the counting for the piano riff at the beginning.  It sounds like it is in one place and then turns around once the kick drum starts.  But I still can’t get it.  Sounds to me like they used a loop and purposely tried to make it sound f’d up.   

Anyone have a clue where the “one” is on the piano riff?  Lol. 

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Vito Corleone said:

This may sound lame but I could actually use some help on this: 

my band has been asked to do Rascal Flatts’ “My Wish” for a wedding this weekend.  And this is one we get asked to play from time to time and have done it before.   But I have never been able to figure the counting for the piano riff at the beginning.  It sounds like it is in one place and then turns around once the kick drum starts.  But I still can’t get it.  Sounds to me like they used a loop and purposely tried to make it sound f’d up.   

Anyone have a clue where the “one” is on the piano riff?  Lol. 

Its straight 4/4, the 1st piano note comes in on 1 &, an 8th note behind the bar line. 

• Members
38 minutes ago, nedezero1 said:

Being a "weekend warrior" guitar player (been playing badly for over 35 years), I don't get to practice as much as I'd like.

However I do try to select at least one piece, exercise, etc. to learn that is usually way beyond my capabilities. I figure you don't improve if you only play what you know or just simple stuff.

My recent effort is to learn Uli John Roth's intro to "Sails of Charon". Uli was shredding before shredding was a thing. 

I've got the picking/fingering down, but only at 100bpm. Trying to get it to 120bpm with a metronome.  These 53 year old fingers don't move so fast anymore. :lol:

That is funny. I love Fly To The Rainbow and have been learning much of that again. Uli for the win!

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Donny G said:

2/4

108 bpm

Melody lines = D Dorian

Harmonies = B Aeolian

Key Signature = B natural Minor

You might have a problem there..  if your "one" is B Aeolian, then the corresponding Dorian would be E, and D would be Ionian.  You're in the key of D (there are no minor keys :lol: )

Not that there's anything wrong with trying to play C over D (which is what you'd be doing),  but you're gonna run into some tension, that's a very altered sound :D

• Members
6 minutes ago, Red Ant said:

You might have a problem there..  if your "one" is B Aeolian, then the corresponding Dorian would be E, and D would be Ionian.  You're in the key of D (there are no minor keys :lol: )

Not that there's anything wrong with trying to play C over D (which is what you'd be doing),  but you're gonna run into some tension :D

Whoops!  You are right, I will go back and fix it, yea I am staying inside the coloring lines on this one, so yea, I meant 'D' Ionian'.  I felt it in my fingers as I was typing it, thanks for the quality control.  But yes the key kind of gives it away, and yes with 'D' as its relative major.  Thx again

• Members

I pick up my guitar several times a day (usually) and just pick.  Mostly country or blues riffs but occasionally I'll pull out something old I've learned over the years (many).  As for new, I've been trying to put together a Christmas CD (instrumental) for some time.  Classics like Jingle Bell Rock, I'll Be Home for Christmas, etc. and some newer stuff (sort of) like When Christmas Comes to Town (from Polar Express) which is one of my daughter's favorite Christmas songs.  I've got a few in some kind of decent shape  but continuously keep working on things like the guitar riffs in Jingle Bell Rock.  It might be next Christmas before I can make copies for my family and friends.  I miss playing live with other players but not enough to seek an outlet for that.  I did it for a lot of years and kind of got my fill if you know what I mean.

• Members
17 minutes ago, Red Ant said:

......... (there are no minor keys :lol: )...........:D

Here we go again, humor me, right now I am playing B natural minor key in my head.  But since dualism has us split into two, my mind only plays D relative major.  🧐  So, my heart, is jumping back and forth.  :>)

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Donny G said:

Here we go again, humor me, right now I am playing B natural minor key in my head.  But since dualism has us split into two, my mind only plays D relative major.  🧐

In practice it's the same thing. But theoretically speaking "B natural minor" is just the Aeolian mode of D. It's a simplified way of looking at structure - 12 keys, all major, full stop. 

• Members
Just now, Red Ant said:

In practice it's the same thing. But theoretically speaking "B natural minor" is just the Aeolian mode of C. It's a simplified way of looking at structure - 12 keys, all major, full stop. 

You mean 'D' my friend, but yep! I agree.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, arcadesonfire said:

How to get a drummer who plays well, isn't f'ing nuts, and actually wants to play the stupid music I write.

Always a challenge. And I highly recommend you stop referring to your own music as "stupid". Self-deprecation can be funny, but isn't useful to an artist, or even a craftsman ;)

I suspect your music isn't stupid at all - it would actually be quite a challenge to write "stupid" music for a person of your intelligence :lol: It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but that's down to taste, a completely different value judgment.

• Members
16 minutes ago, Red Ant said:

Always a challenge. And I highly recommend you stop referring to your own music as "stupid". Self-deprecation can be funny, but isn't useful to an artist, or even a craftsman ;)

I suspect your music isn't stupid at all - it would actually be quite a challenge to write "stupid" music for a person of your intelligence :lol: It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but that's down to taste, a completely different value judgment.

Well, thank you. I said that mostly jokingly. But I've also worried that I'm too far removed from what's hip these days, because I have frequently received responses to my ads, then sent them demos of my new stuff for the new band, and never heard back--which leads me to think they hated it. I worry it might be my 80s new wave singing.... meh whatever. I've got a "date" with one drummer this weekend. He seems excited, so let's trust that he's sincere and actually likes my voice.

Archived