What are you currently trying to learn musically?

nedezero1

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
On 9/10/2019 at 10:31 AM, willhaven said:

That G is way too complicated. Gotta do that lazy-assed Rock G. Grab the low E with your thumb, and mute the A string with it, too. Index finger does the high E.

You gotta takes as many shortcuts as possible in life. This is one of them.

Actually, there are a couple of songs I play in which it is easier and faster to do the G in the manner you describe as opposed to the "real" way to do it. Usually when the G is in between a very fast progression. 

I don't do it all the time but it does have its place. 

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, Telecruiser said:

Me? I'm always trying to improve my flatpicking speed and accuracy as well as my thumbpick speed and accuracy like Jerry Reed and Chet.

Every so often, at least a couple of times a year I butt up hard against my technical limitations and swear to myself that I'm gonna re-focus on technique and commit to drilling (as opposed to other forms of practice)... and every time, between choosing to work on my fingers or on my ears, the ears always win. There's just not enough time in life... :cry:

• Members

We just added a girl singer to the band and played our first gig with her last Saturday. The tunes I learned for her 1st gig are:

Fleetwood Mac -

Landslide, Rhiannon and Say you Love Me

Linda Ronstadt -

When Will I be Loved 

Zep -

Whole Lotta Love

Dyer Makr

Allman Bros -

Whipping Post

Yesterday I learned two Journey songs (Don't Stop Believing and Lovin Touchin Squeezin) and today I'll be working up two Queen tunes (We are the Champions and Crazy Little Thing Called Love). We will rehearse the four new songs on Wednesday and perform them at the gig Friday.

Edit - here's Whipping Post.

• Members
On 9/16/2019 at 2:47 PM, Telecruiser said:

Me? I'm always trying to improve my flatpicking speed and accuracy as well as my thumbpick speed and accuracy like Jerry Reed and Chet.

Every once in a while I'll hear some amazing playing in a Chet Atkins style and I break out a thumb pick and my Atkins book, hack away at it for a few days and then revert to my usual noodling. :0

• Members

I try to roll with the changing ways of “current trends”, which happen to be easy as hell compared to getting a band together and learning the hard way vs. using a looper, a couple synths and a drum machine. I wish I learned about that a long time ago, but I didn’t.

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, redEL34 said:

I try to roll with the changing ways of “current trends”, which happen to be easy as hell compared to getting a band together and learning the hard way vs. using a looper, a couple synths and a drum machine. I wish I learned about that a long time ago, but I didn’t.

Ironically, I learned about all that back when it was a giant pain in the @$$ to make it all work :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've been working on Steely Dans 'Chain Lightning' off and on for a couple weeks.  I'm trying to do it on guitar and vocal, without accompaniment, so I learned the chords in 2 or 3 positions to allow me to get lead fills in between chords also.   Lots of fun, and a VERY addictive groove!

Archived