Question about pickups

dvkerner96

• Members

I sneezed while playing guitar today and a small amount of spit got into the space between the pickup frame and the pickup on my neck pickup. Will this harm the guitar? It was plugged in while it happened. I tried to wipe most of it away, but it seems like a small amount may have gotten in there. As far as I know the pickups are unpotted, if that makes a difference. This may sound silly, but I am a bit worried. Please let me know what you think! 

• Members

Your guitar will be fine, water or saliva won't do much. A solvent like nail polish remover could conceivably melt the lacquer insulation on the pickup wire and short it out. 

Spilling beer, soda large amount of any fluid into/around a guitar amplifier is very bad and should be avoided. 

• Members
10 hours ago, Mr.Grumpy said:

Your guitar will be fine, water or saliva won't do much. A solvent like nail polish remover could conceivably melt the lacquer insulation on the pickup wire and short it out. 

Spilling beer, soda large amount of any fluid into/around a guitar amplifier is very bad and should be avoided. 

Thank you! I appreciate your response! If a pickup did come into contact with enough liquid to do something, what would it sound like? Would it be volume or tone loss, or would it just not work at all/sound very crunchy? 

11 minutes ago, dvkerner96 said:

If a pickup did come into contact with enough liquid to do something, what would it sound like? Would it be volume or tone loss, or would it just not work at all/sound very crunchy? 

It's more likely to short out and make no sound... but saliva isn't going to melt that lacquer insulation on the wires - you'd need to drop something like acetone or lighter fluid into it, and in much higher quantities than you'd deliver with a sneeze. :) 

Soaking a pickup in water for a long time might cause various components to rust, but even that's not a guaranteed to kill one. Still, it's not something I recommend. 

You wiped the pickup off after you sneezed on it - odds are you're going to be fine. :)

• Members
5 hours ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

It's more likely to short out and make no sound... but saliva isn't going to melt that lacquer insulation on the wires - you'd need to drop something like acetone or lighter fluid into it, and in much higher quantities than you'd deliver with a sneeze. :) 

Soaking a pickup in water for a long time might cause various components to rust, but even that's not a guaranteed to kill one. Still, it's not something I recommend. 

You wiped the pickup off after you sneezed on it - odds are you're going to be fine. :)

Thank you! I appreciate your response! 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived