Martin guitars

Grant Harding

• Members

And so say all of us. They have so many models these days that it's impossible to answer if you don't work for the company.

The two most popular models have got to be the D-18 and D-28. Both are great guitars. The OM and 000 series are also very popular - again, for good reasons.

It used to be that Martin's biggest competitor was Martin - so many people were buying used Martins that the company wasn't moving enough new ones. So they started all these new product lines - upscale, downscale, electrified, torrefied, traveler models, goth models, signature models, products for all kinds of niche markets.

Personally, I'd be inclined to buy one of the tried-and-true models that established their reputation. You can't go wrong that way. Those guitars have been popular for so many years for a reason.

Del

www.thefullertons.net

( •)—:::

Sent on my '71 D-28

Me too

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What I can do is take a day and sample every Martin I can find in the local stores.

I may or may not play all of them because, you see, most people lie between dead beginner and accomplished player so I'll touch a few of them, strum a few of them, ignore and/or ogle most of them and then take the time to put one through what I can muster up as the best of my ability. The latter might be any model at all, including backpacker.

I'll also sit at home and go ogle them like many do who buy sight-unseen so it will require an additional day of online tubing and testimonial reading to represent that demographic.

By the time I'm done I should have taken into consideration all the factors that represent the average player and buyer, budgetary constraints assumed, providing the model that represents the best. The choice should be perfect because it's logically selected to the average player and his/her budget criteria.

Note: I don't particularly like CF Martin and Co. so I may post-pone the task by some months, or even years. Be patient.

• Members

One of the main requirements for me is what it's like for lead. If I dig in does it compress and wash out or does it give more volume and stay clear and punchy. But I also need it to sound great strummed or fingerpicked, but I know I'll give up some of the delicate detail a true fingerstyle guitar gives.

The clips of the J40 are great. That's the kind of thing I'm after.

• Members

I have an old MC28, which I bought back some 27 years ago.

About a decade ago it needed a neck reset and Chris Martin #4 covered it 100%. He also sprung for a new bridge and saddle.

I turned around bought 2 more Martins. :D

The MC 28 is Martin's like first attempt at a cut away.

I had it re-fretted about 5 years ago.

My buddy has a D 28, and it's nice.

The MC 28 has a the bottom end of a dreadnaught, but the mid pop more. It's a nice player.

not mine

10U-4102_front.jpg

• Members

Okay. A straight answer to a simple question. The D-45 is the best Martin. There are a D-45V a D-45E, and a D45S now, so you'll still have some decisions to make. Like how many banks to rob.

Happy shopping!

Del

http://www.thefullertons.net

( •)—:::

Sent on my '71 D-28

I'll sell anything I have to so I'm definitely thinking high end.

The J-40 is just the look and from clips it sounds like what's in my head. :)

I have an old MC28, which I bought back some 27 years ago.

About a decade ago it needed a neck reset and Chris Martin #4 covered it 100%. He also sprung for a new bridge and saddle.

I turned around bought 2 more Martins. :D

I LOVE hearing positive stories about excellent customer service! :philthumb:

• Members

I LOVE hearing positive stories about excellent customer service! :philthumb:

The top on my new Gisbon F5G mandolin might be sinking. You can see it around the f holes

I took some pics. I have talked to Gibson Customer Service, and had to send the zip file twice.

I asked them to let me know if they got the zip file and could send the pics to there mandolin department.

They once again had not gotten back into touch with me, either by phone or email.

I hope it doesn't sink down any further and it many not.

The thing sounds amazing, but I have a old Flatiron A model that has been with me for 30 years and it has been trouble free. and the top is perfect.

The F5G ain't cheap either and the top may not sink any more. Then again.

I once travel to buy a Mesa amp and when I got there the thing had a dent in it. The shop said take it and we will get you another one. Mesa called me and told me there sub contractor for the chassis went out of business, but they'd get me another one. Months went by and more months went by, and 9 months later I get a call from Mesa saying where they wanted me to ship the amp. I gave them my home address and I asked them where they wanted the old amp to go. They said I could bring it back to the shop or sent it them.

It was a told verbal agreement and they trusted me on it. I shipped the old one out and 2 days later my new amp came it.

I have owned a 1/2 a dozen Mesa amps, over the decades and to me they are the bomb.

I own quite a few Gibson guitars. not that I buy one every year, but, there's a few on my futures list. Then again, maybe not. We will see how this turns out.

I like to buy music gear ( guitars amps) that will last a lifetime and beyond with maintenance. Maybe a fret job or a new saddle or nut here and there.

Archived