I weep for Guitar Center and its customers

DeepEnd

• Members
Remember pulling into a service station and having a person pump your gas and clean your windows? I do. Do I miss it? Not really.

I also remember it and I don't miss it either.

Strings and Beyond hasn't been that cheap lately w/its specials - at least not with the ones I buy. . . .

I haven't exactly found bargains at JustStrings.com either. You have to buy in bulk or shipping kills you. The only thing I've ever bought from them was a single bass string and a set of d'Addario Flat Tops. I usually buy from a local mom and pop. If I can't find what I'm looking for locally, I buy on eBay.

Understood. No offense intended. This is just part of the consequence of online kicking brick and mortar stores butts. There's no money for smart experienced folks at the bleeding edge anymore. People have spoken with their wallets and won't pay more for service.

I think there's a lot of truth to what you're saying, but OTOH, there are retailers like Sweetwater who employ really knowledgeable folks, and yet who still manage to price their gear competitively.

• Members

I'm not cursing anyone. You can be frustrated by someone or recognize ignorance without cursing him/her. Beyond that, I don't consider phosphor bronze strings "tragic," nor do I understand why you do. I'm not really sure what you mean by the rest of your post so I guess it's your turn to curse me and my grotesque, incomprehensible existence since you have the luxury of knowing what in the world you're talking about and I don't.

You need me on that wall, you want me on that wall ...

Nothing??!!

Am I the only one that saw the movie A Few Good Men ...

• Members
I never weep for GC, not since I went into one and asked for a set of Ernie Ball .10's and the stupid salesman, after scanning the shelves behind him, said, "it looks like they only come in sets of six and twelve".

Sounds like a code red is in order .... :angry07:

• Members

My most memorable GC experience, was the day I bought two synths, a Roland RS9 an and a big heavy Yamaha elec. piano. The sales clerk started asking about my address and other personal questions he had no need to know.about. GC did not deliver the gear. I did. He also asked about my work hours. What time do I usually get home? Who else lives w/me?

Call me paranoid. I skipped work and went home. My .357 was loaded.So was my 12 gauge. I waited for that bastard. He never came. I wrote a letter about the incident to the store mgr and returned two weeks later to exchange the Yammie for a different board.

That sales clerk was long gone.

There was more to the story. One day, I got a call at the office. A man had a female client for me. I practice a specialized area of law. I asked the guy what kind of problem the woman had. He said, 'I don't know. But she wants to see you. So just stay there until she arrives'.

I said OK. Hung up. Hopped in the car, went home and waited. Nobody came.

• Members

For the most part my GC experiences over the last 15 years or so have been more/less positive. I've had good and bad experiences at local shops in equal proportion to my experiences at GC.

IMO, the individual store manger has more to do with what your experience will be than the name on the sign.

• Members

I travel a lot for my paying job. One of the things that balances spending a lot of time in airports and hotels is the opportunity to visit music stores, both local and chain all over the country. I have been in at least 50 or 60 local shops and probably 50 Guitar Centers. In terms of inventory, attitude and environment the ratio of good to not so good ones is just about the same. It usually only takes about 7 minutes to figure out which type you are in and beat a hasty retreat if needed. The local shops, particularly stores catering to pros and semi-pros (as opposed to students) do seem to have a better overall level of staff knowledge, although the better GC's are a match. What I like about the GC's is I can play just about any instrument I can reach without worrying about having to find a staff person to let me and starting to feel the pressure, however subtle or overt. I'm hundreds of miles from home in a rented car and probably making two more flights before I even head for home, unless you have the guitar of my dreams within the budget of my nightmare, I'm probably not buying. On the other hand, I actually have bought instruments in these situations and had them shipped to me. An unsolicited plug for one of my favorite shops - Luthier Cooperative in Easthampton, MA. It's a vintage instrument shop with a performance stage where they have concerts and open mics, AND A BAR! Right in the store! I never wanted to leave.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

About 10 years ago I remember walking into Mars - a sort of GC (their stores were actually about twice the size of a typical GC) that didn't last very long here - and asked for a pack of Ernie Ball .10's. The guy behind the counter spent some time scouring the shelves and then said, "we only seem to have strings in sets of 6 and 12..."

• Members
About 10 years ago I remember walking into Mars - a sort of GC (their stores were actually about twice the size of a typical GC) that didn't last very long here - and asked for a pack of Ernie Ball .10's. The guy behind the counter spent some time scouring the shelves and then said, "we only seem to have strings in sets of 6 and 12..."

I would order a code red ...

Deja vu!

• Members

I knew I remembered this. Two and a half weeks ago, you told the same story about Guitar Center:

I never weep for GC, not since I went into one and asked for a set of Ernie Ball .10's and the stupid salesman, after scanning the shelves behind him, said, "it looks like they only come in sets of six and twelve".

With all due respect, I'm beginning to wonder.

Archived