Gibson got raided by the Feds again, and in light of that, I'd like to ask a question

Phil O'Keefe

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20110825/NEWS01/308250049/Gibson-Guitar-raided-but-lips-zipped

So I'm reading some of the various forum comments and threads about this, and there's some folks actually saying they expect Gibson will go under because of this, or be bought out by someone else, and it made me start thinking about it, and the question I have is this:

Does anyone really want Gibson to disappear? Do any of you think it would be good for the industry if Gibson folded or went out of business? Okay, okay... I know there's the occasional thread where people complain about some of Gibson's prices, and the Firebird X was not what I'd call a huge hit with you guys... :lol: but for every anti-Firebird X post, there was probably almost as many in praise of the P90 equipped 50s and 60s Les Pauls they put out recently.

Really - can you imagine a world with no more Les Pauls or SG's being made? Do you honestly think that would be a good thing?

A simple "yes" (that would be fine by me) or "no" (that would suck if Gibson folded) would be fine, but feel free to elaborate if you are so inclined. :wave:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It would be sad if Gibson folded altogether, but I can't see that happening- someone somewhere would have the cash to buy the company and keep it going- they hold the rights to half the iconic guitar designs out there, which should be a licence to print money, right?

I don't think many musicians (or Gibson employees: http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Gibson-Guitar-Reviews-E6869.htm) would shed a tear if Henry J lost his position at the top of the tree at Gibson and someone else took over- hopefully someone with a better idea of what musicians really want, namely reasonable prices, excellent QC, accurate reproductions of the classic guitars we know and love and new designs that don't look like they were sketched by blind amputees. And a suitably fiery end to the Firewood X. Please.

TBH, I think a lot of the hate directed at Gibson is a reaction against the perceived poor running of a company we all want to love.

Oh, and those 50s Tribute Studios, while they might have been the nicest new Gibson designs in a long while, weren't all that special.

• Members

It would be good for those who own Gibsons. The values will most likely inflate.

Other than that, it decreases my chances of ever owning a Les Paul, which is not good. Though, the only Les Paul I ever wanted were the vintage ones which I cant afford anyways. So it doesnt really matter to me one way or another.

It would be pretty funny if Fender bought out Gibson, like cats and dogs sleeping together.

• Members

If Gibson folded, would another American manufacturer step up to take its place? If yes, then it would be a great thing. Gibson and Fender have just been re-releasing the same guitars for decades with minor changes, or creating abominations based loosely off the greats of yesteryear. Manufacturers such as Reverend have at least been creating original designs for reasonable prices. Also, luthers like Fanno, Giffin, and Grosh (yes, I've been spending too much time at PGS) make incredible guitars. If Gibson goes down, maybe small time luthers will increase their business and start releasing 'budget' lines.

• Moderators

In its current and cancerous form, good riddance. Maybe they'll be bought or undergo reorganization, return and actually deliver consistently quality instruments, both traditional and progressive, at quality-appropriate price points, without resorting to pathetic gimmicks and image-oriented marketing, and without constantly throwing about the heft of its brand to shaft both small retailers and consumers.

• Members

No.

Even if Gibson would shut down, there still would be countless manufacturers claiming to carry on the torch. Still, I'd like to see Gibson carry on, just to see if their lifestyle-marketing-plan starts to work one day.

edit: just read the article in detail - if they really use endangered rain forest woods, I'd like to go into a big music store and smash all gibson guitars. pricks.

• Members

Maybe they'll be bought or undergo reorganization, return and actually deliver consistently quality instruments, both traditional and progressive, at quality-appropriate price points, without resorting to pathetic gimmicks and image-oriented marketing, and without constantly throwing about the heft of its brand to shaft both small retailers and consumers.

Longest. Sentence. Ever.

And I don't see how anyone could think LOSING COMPETITION is GOOD for the market? I missed that class bra.

• Members

Longest. Sentence. Ever.

And I don't see how anyone could think LOSING COMPETITION is GOOD for the market? I missed that class bra.

I'm not your bra, homey, but you should read up on your economic theory. Competition has been shown to be increase innovation for firms that are reasonably close in size, power, and resources, but it decreases innovation in companies that are smaller and further behind the leaders, this maps an inverted-U relationhip. What would happen with the removal of an economic behemoth such as Gibson, is that innovation in smaller companies would theoretically increase to fill the gap.

• Members

I'm not your bra, homey, but you should read up on your economic theory. Competition has been shown to be increase innovation for firms that are reasonably close in size, power, and resources, but it decreases innovation in companies that are smaller and further behind the leaders, this maps an inverted-U relationhip. What would happen with the removal of an economic behemoth such as Gibson, is that innovation in smaller companies would theoretically increase to fill the gap.

Right... precedent. Theoretical precedent at that. Awesome.

Brb- plotting the destruction of the babyboomers before they kill off the planet for good. :D

• Members

Right... precedent. Theoretical precedent at that. Awesome.

Brb- plotting the destruction of the babyboomers before they kill off the planet for good.
:D

I don't understand. You asked a question I gave you the answer. Here is an example, I just googled and clicked the first link, http://www.stanford.edu/~nbloom/PevertedU.pdf

EDIT: Just skimmed the article I linked, and it is one of the articles I remember reading a while ago.

EDIT 2: I don't think you understand the two meanings of the word 'theory'.

• Members

No.

Even if Gibson would shut down, there still would be countless manufacturers claiming to carry on the torch. Still, I'd like to see Gibson carry on, just to see if their lifestyle-marketing-plan starts to work one day.

edit:
just read the article in detail - if they really use endangered rain forest woods, I'd like to go into a big music store and smash all gibson guitars. pricks.

wow, big american company doesn't give a {censored} about the planet? I'm shocked. $$$$$$$$$$

• Members

i say good riddance,

obviously someone will buy them out and they will undergo a reorganization. They are to big and have holdings in to many areas to just end.

So i can only hope someone comes in, beats their asses with a switch, and puts them on the rights track to where i can finally afford a VOS historic SG..

BTW, I should probably make it clear that I do not expect that Gibson will be "going under" or changing hands. I suspect that's just either wishful thinking / over-stating the situation by some people. IIRC, the company is privately owned, and HJ is one of (if not the) major / majority shareholders - I don't think he's going anywhere either. My question was merely inspired by those posts and comments that were suggesting this will / could lead to Gibson's demise - and how everyone would feel about that if it did happen.

• Members

wow, big american company doesn't give a {censored} about the planet? I'm shocked. $$$$$$$$$$

I get you. But Gibson could still use lame ass standard woods, still charge these prices and make even more profit. It's not like they are just pumping CO2 into the athmosphere. I like major companies that see environmental care as a sympathy feature, whether it's mostly intended as a marketing draw, they still often care for their footprint and some even get licenses and gratifications for their "green product".

Archived