Gibson got raided by the Feds again, and in light of that, I'd like to ask a question

Phil O'Keefe

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Gibson won't go away, obviously. But if they are violating the law (repeatedly) then those responsible must be held accountable. I hope a change in leadership is in the near future. I could see someone like Bob Taylor making a play here for Gibson, and immediately the quality control would go up, or PRS for that matter.

But losing Gibson altogether would be terrible for guitarists, it's such an iconic company with a great tradition. I think everyone would be in agreement that they'd like to see some lower prices, and better quality control. Maybe new leadership could provide that.

• Members

They are overpriced, and personally I'd rather buy a Les Paul copy for 1/10th of the price, but it would be wrong if Gibson would go away... I just hope they get their stuff together again.

This makes me feel better about my Les Paul copy btw; I'm pretty sure no endangered tropical forest wood was used for it. Probably just a random tree standing behind a Chinese factory. :thu:

• Members

If they go tits-up, it's almost 100% certainty they'll get bought up by someone else. So someone will be making LPs and SGs. The brand is too valuable to disappear completely, but the quality could certainly take a nosedive, depending on who (hypothetically) bought them.

• Members

I honestly love my gibson. my custom shop 335 (left handed in ebony) it cost me everything and i adore it.. but gibson must be being run by some pretty selfish and clueless people these days.

hopefully the gibson bashing warranted by their questionable business practices/ethics/products is just a phase or rough spot for them.

• Members

Gibson won't go away, obviously. But if they are violating the law (repeatedly) then those responsible must be held accountable. I hope a change in leadership is in the near future. I could see someone like Bob Taylor making a play here for Gibson, and immediately the quality control would go up, or PRS for that matter.

But losing Gibson altogether would be terrible for guitarists, it's such an iconic company with a great tradition. I think everyone would be in agreement that they'd like to see some lower prices, and better quality control. Maybe new leadership could provide that.

yeashumm

• Members

Gibson has been associated with some great products - Loar mandolins, classic Les Pauls, archtops, and my personal favorite the Nick Lucas model.

They have had their share of crazy ideas that didn't work, like any company.

Beyond the taboo wood issue, the problem is that they have set themselves up as a producer of luxury priced mass produced items. The competition for that market is very crowded.

They would be missed, but I miss Studebakers, so what do I know?

• Members

T

This makes me feel better about my Les Paul copy btw; I'm pretty sure no endangered tropical forest wood was used for it. Probably just a random tree standing behind a Chinese factory.
:thu:

Henry J told me all Les Paul copies are made from the compressed bodies of dead children.

• Members

i know variety is nice and all but a one particular type of tree out of millions of types ceasing to exist would effect us in what way?

as much as gibsons cost they better be made of endangered wood, have an eagle skull in there somewhere, and have strings made from panda intestines.

nah, i can see the animal argument but trees? plant another type. who gives a {censored}?

• Members

It would be nice if they changed ownership and underwent a COMPLETE overhaul. Their prices are through the roof and most of their current offerings are lame, unless you want to spend $3000+. And anything new they put out, sucks. Auto-tuning? Tiger-LP? c'mon...

• Members
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20110825/NEWS01/308250049/Gibson-Guitar-raided-but-lips-zipped

So I'm reading some of the various forum comments and threads about this, and there's some folks actually saying they expect Gibson will go under because of this, or be bought out by someone else, and it made me start thinking about it, and the question I have is this:

Does anyone
really
want Gibson to disappear? Do any of you think it would be good for the industry if Gibson folded or went out of business? Okay, okay... I know there's the occasional thread where people complain about some of Gibson's prices, and the Firebird X was not what I'd call a huge hit with you guys...
:lol:
but for every anti-Firebird X post, there was probably almost as many in praise of the P90 equipped 50s and 60s Les Pauls they put out recently.

Really - can you imagine a world with no more Les Pauls or SG's being made? Do you honestly think that would be a good thing?

A simple "yes" (that would be fine by me) or "no" (that would suck if Gibson folded) would be fine, but feel free to elaborate if you are so inclined.
:wave:

Nah son, that would suck. Unless they transferred the warranty over to some other company, then I'd be cool with it.

To be honest, I think it'd be kinda fun to see Fender AND Gibson go under. They are sorta like Apple and PC. Two powerhouse companies that are the go to sources when you want a guitar. It makes me wonder how many amazing innovations and styles and well made pieces we'd have come out of the woodwork (literally) if these two dinos became fossil fuel.

Would the world be worse off if one of the giants went under, probably. But if they both did, and all of a sudden you had 5 companies spring up making awesome guitars, would you care much?

• Members

i know variety is nice and all but a one particular type of tree out of millions of types ceasing to exist would effect us in what way?

as much as gibsons cost they
better
be made of endangered wood, have an eagle skull in there somewhere, and have strings made from panda intestines.

nah, i can see the animal argument but trees? plant another type. who gives a {censored}?

The point is not that the tree is endangered, but that it is obtained by cutting (probably large parts of) protected forests, which are the habitat of lots of rare endangered animals. The wood is supposedly from Madagascar, which contains a huge amount of unique species. So if that's true, I'm all for this raid.

• Members

as much as gibsons cost they
better
be made of endangered wood, have an eagle skull in there somewhere, and have strings made from panda intestines.

:facepalm:

• Members

Gibson needs to rethink its strategy and reinvent itself. It has come to a breaking point where:

a) it has tarnished its name with abominations, poor quality guitars, overpriced standard quality guitars.

b) It has been accused of making a lot of its actual production in China which is a big issue for a company charging the kind of money it does.

c) Voted 2nd worst place to work in USA, that's pretty bad.

d) In trying to make a maximum profit, Gibson has gone from a pro played guitar to a collector/lawyer/rich kids guitar. This isn't a sustainable source of income.

e) Reissues are completely out of price range.

Fender has managed to come on top for many reasons such as different price ranges and having mostly affordable guitars that are sturdy.
Gibson needs to re-evaluate its priorities as a company, rediscover itself and why it's in the music business.
So what if Gibson needs to rely on older style guitars to sell? There's no need to come up with horrors like robot guitars and such

So to finalize (sorry for rambling) but Gibson folding down would be a real shame but it will unless it changes its company strategy and has a new marketing/strategy manager and a new CEO with a better vision.

• Members

the problem is the people who buy $$$$ Gibson's don't give a {censored} about the damage to rainforests or endangered species. they're in that bracket of having too much money to care, and not so much money that they can philanthropic about anything.. unless they're in politics, but then they're only pretending so they can scrape a few more votes.

Archived