Gibson got raided by the Feds again, and in light of that, I'd like to ask a question

Phil O'Keefe

• Members

i agree that a lot of my personal frustration with gibson is disappointment with a company i want to love. they have a great tradition and have so many classic guitars, it would be a shame to lose them. also, they have the workers, equipment and resources to make high quality guitars on a large scale here in the US, which is pretty rare. granted they {censored} up all the time, but i would love for them to undergo a change that saw them put that to better use. some changes in the company would be a good thing, but losing them would really suck. my other fear is that they would get bought by someone who used the name but moved all production overseas or something to make crappier guitars that were still overpriced.

i know variety is nice and all but a one particular type of tree out of millions of types ceasing to exist would effect us in what way?

as much as gibsons cost they
better
be made of endangered wood, have an eagle skull in there somewhere, and have strings made from panda intestines.

nah, i can see the animal argument but trees? plant another type. who gives a {censored}?

i can't {censored}ing believe this. really?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The point is not that the tree is endangered, but that it is obtained by cutting (probably large parts of) protected forests, which are the habitat of lots of rare endangered animals. The wood is supposedly from Madagascar, which contains a huge amount of unique species. So if that's true, I'm all for this raid.

ah, see i didnt understand that.

• Members

i have a few epi's/gibby's and would hate to see them go under.

right now they are run by a bunch of moron's who are out of touch with musicians. there is a market for $5000 les pauls, but they should refocus on making more guitars like the sg classic, the limited run p90 les paul studios, firebird non reverse's, and an affordable les paul standards with quality that matches the price tag.

• Members

In its current and cancerous form, good riddance. Maybe they'll be bought or undergo reorganization, return and actually deliver consistently quality instruments, both traditional and progressive, at quality-appropriate price points, without resorting to pathetic gimmicks and image-oriented marketing, and without constantly throwing about the heft of its brand to shaft both small retailers and consumers.

This.

• Members

Henry J told me all Les Paul copies are made from the compressed bodies of dead children.

I laughed, and threw another shovel-full of dogs into the brazier.

I have a 2007 (I think) explorer and it plays + sounds great - it's the most resonant guitar I've ever felt and I love it to death. That said, I look at the colossal overpricing of Les Pauls and their upper end stuff and I think they live off their brand name far too much. In the spirit of keeping the whole industry fresh and competitive, as well as keeping everyone honest, I don't think I'd shed a tear if they went pear shaped.

Unfortunately guitar as a cultural icon is a thing of nostalgia for so many people of a certain age who have big wallets and want the brand names of their youth, so this kind of overpricing (and you see it with gretsch, rickenbacker etc too) isn't going to go away until they die and the desire for these brands drops to sensible levels.

• Members

It would be sad if Gibson folded altogether, but I can't see that happening- someone somewhere would have the cash to buy the company and keep it going- they hold the rights to half the iconic guitar designs out there, which should be a licence to print money, right?

I don't think many musicians (or Gibson employees:
) would shed a tear if Henry J lost his position at the top of the tree at Gibson and someone else took over- hopefully someone with a better idea of what musicians really want, namely reasonable prices, excellent QC, accurate reproductions of the classic guitars we know and love and new designs that don't look like they were sketched by blind amputees. And a suitably fiery end to the Firewood X. Please.

TBH, I think a lot of the hate directed at Gibson is a reaction against the perceived poor running of a company we all want to love.

Oh, and those 50s Tribute Studios, while they might have been the nicest new Gibson designs in a long while, weren't all that special.

This, all of it.

• Members

your previous post kind of disqualifies you from saying much about caring for the environment.

i never said i did. again- how is tearing me down helping the environment? it isnt. its you trying to make yourself feel better by seeing yourself as superior. im guessing you pick your charities based on the which one has the coolest tshirt to advertise your commitment.

• Members

i never said i did. again- how is tearing me down helping the environment? it isnt. its you trying to make yourself feel better by seeing yourself as superior. im guessing you pick your charities based on the which one has the coolest tshirt to advertise your commitment.

i think that someone trying to point out the ignorance of not giving a {censored} about extinction could be seen validly as a minor way of trying to help out the environment. even if it seems to you like someone just self righteously trying to tear you down. just sayin'.

and you're right, i was an avid NRA member and all, but then greenpeace came up with all these really sweet slogans. though i will say it was more the bumper stickers than the t-shirts. i would still support the NRA, but i just don't have time for it anymore with my newfound passion for environmentalism.

• Members

I really don't get why anyone thinks these legal problems mean they might go under. At worst they'll get hit with some sort of fine, take whatever hit it causes to their quarterly profits, alter some wood buying practices, and move on. And honestly I'm skeptical the fine will be that much of a hit to them anyways given the size of the company.

Archived