What are you reading?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by joncyberboy

View Post

I'm reading CATCH 22 at the moment. Not sure I'm enjoying it that much.

I didn't like it until the end, then it all made sense. I liked Joseph Heller's other book Something Happened better, though. YMMV.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by fruvai

View Post

I finished it a couple of months back, I have no idea how any non-Irish person can understand it though

Just finished No Country for Old Men and starting Crime & Punishment

Interesting, why so?

I love No Country and Punishment by the way. Planning on carving out next summer to read Ulysses.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BG76

View Post

I didn't like it until the end, then it all made sense. I liked Joseph Heller's other book Something Happened better, though. YMMV.

I find that interesting. I'm sure I have said the same to other people regarding books/films and actually I'm beginning to question it. If I get a brief "oh that is interesting" moment at the end of hours of rather dull and confusing reading has it been a worthwhile experience? Of course there is no definite answer for that question, but as I get older I feel like I want to be entertained a little more. I like the bigger picture, the interesting deeper ideas, but I like to enjoy the ride too. I wonder if anyone else feels the same?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BG76

View Post

I find that interesting. I'm sure I have said the same to other people regarding books/films and actually I'm beginning to question it. If I get a brief "oh that is interesting" moment at the end of hours of rather dull and confusing reading has it been a worthwhile experience? Of course there is no definite answer for that question, but as I get older I feel like I want to be entertained a little more. I like the bigger picture, the interesting deeper ideas, but I like to enjoy the ride too. I wonder if anyone else feels the same?

• Members

View Post

I finished it a couple of months back, I have no idea how any non-Irish person can understand it though

There are 50 pages of explanations at the end of the book and also (literally) hundreds of side notes throughout the book. but I guess I could never really enjoy it like a real Irish can...

View Post

...starting Crime & Punishment

My favorite book ever!

a true masterpiece.

• Members

View Post

I didn't enjoy it .. although I can't say I really like many of the so called '20th century classics' that people always mention in these threads, generally I don't enjoy American authors either ... most of my favourites seem to be Scottish which isn't intentional, it's either coincidence or something I find in the writing that isn't conscious on my part.

• Members

View Post

I had to read it for an AP Lit class in high school and I quit after about 60 pages. We had to keep a journal while reading it, and my journal was just me talking about how much I hated it, with gems like "A character just said, 'Who gives a {censored}.' I can really relate, because this isn't funny at all, or even interesting. My last entry was something like "I can't read any more of this, nothing is happening, and what is happening is pointless. This is all plot and no story, and I can't stand things that follow that formula." I got an F on the assignment (which was too bad, because I was hoping for honesty points or something), and was kind of relieved that I didn't get in trouble. I keep hearing how good the book is, and sometimes I think I should try it again, but that attempt to read it probably left too much of a bad taste in my mouth. It annoyed me like few others books have.

I felt like reading some Cormac McCarthy, so I just read Outer Dark and Child of God, and am currently re-reading Blood Meridian.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by spoonie g

View Post

I thought it was hilarious.

Hell yes! Probably the only book I've really openly laughed out loud in public reading. Beautiful in places too.

It's in my top 3.

Crime & Punishment is also fantastic, the kind of book I wish I could read again for the first time. So well crafted.

• Members

View Post

Just finished No Country for Old Men and starting Crime & Punishment

I think theres just tons in it to be honest. I read it after my degree, and thought there were so many literary references and advanced literary techniques, I didn't know if I'd have got much out of it before studying.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I just finished Marlowe's Doctor Faustus this morning. I first heard about the Faustian legend in my university german classes, and only now did I get around to reading one of those stories. Shouldn't have waited...probably going to have to read Goethe now.

Up next:

Team of Rivals thumb.gif

Archived