What are you reading?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle

View Post

Literally just finished Chernow's Alexander Hamilton biography. Essential reading for anyone with an interest in early american history.

I'm listening to Walker Percy's The Moviegoer at work right now

and

Frans G. Bengtsson's The Long Ships is next on my list to actually read. Probably start that tomorrow.

Once that is done I'm going to tackle Milton Friedman's Capitalism and Freedom too beat all the neo-cons at their own game when I inevitably find myself in a debate with one of them in this election year.

The Long Ships was entertaining. I read a family members copy and it was additionally cool to see their notations in the margins as I read. Going to read No Contest by Alfie Kohn nect.

• Members

I just got into a class on Vladamir Nabokov last week, so I've been reading a lot of his stuf. I've finished The Eye and Despair, and now I'm reading The Real Life of Sebastian Knight, as well as Othello for my Shakespeare class. The Eye and Despair are both really {censored}ing awesome, but I'm not really into Sebastian Knight yet. Maybe it gets better.

Also, I read a really great short story by Nabokov called Cloud, Castle, Lake, which was very Kafkaesque. You can read it here:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...tle-lake/5003/

• Members

Just finished The Scar by China Mieville --- reading it due to a recommendation from the forum. Pretty awesome trilogy. Book two was better than book one, IMO.

Also, The Ice Storm which was kinda sad and The Passage by Justin Cronin which kicked ass. One of the better virus kills everyone stories.

• Members

Reading The Art of Inlay and Guitarmaking

I'll be starting The Foundation series pretty soon now that I'm done with school. It seems like a pretty hefty series to tackle, but I'm looking forward to reading it.

• Members

I'm reading A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. I was supposed to read for school about 40 years ago and never did it. Most of it's pretty good, though occasionally I don't know what people are talking about. I can't believe they tried to make me read it when I was like 16 years old. One thing that surprised me is some parts are really funny, like the four guys to make the rich French dudes chocolate, the spy's funeral/riot and six guys named Jaques.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bkd

View Post

Reading The Art of Inlay and Guitarmaking

I'll be starting The Foundation series pretty soon now that I'm done with school. It seems like a pretty hefty series to tackle, but I'm looking forward to reading it.

How's that been going for you? Do you foresee making it your living, or is this already a profession for you in some way? Or just a hobby? Way curious!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Grueller

View Post

How's that been going for you? Do you foresee making it your living, or is this already a profession for you in some way? Or just a hobby? Way curious!

It's going great. I just graduated on Friday and am hunting for jobs now. I'm going to try to stay on at the school and help around the shop, or rent space to continue building there while I look for work. I'd much rather build than do repairs, but I'm tossing around the idea of opening a small storefront repair shop in town with a guy from class. There a lot of options, it's just a matter of finding the one that suits me best you know?

To keep it on topic - I suggest reading The Sirens of Titan, I'm going to have to crack that open again pretty soon!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by misterstomach

View Post

that is a great {censored}ing book.

right now i'm reading "growth of the soil" by knut hamsun.

God damn I love that book. My favorite by him thought is Pan. If you haven't, check it out. It is quite different from Growth of the Soil. It is short book, full of dark humor and in the end, absolutely heartbreaking.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by orourke

View Post

I'm reading A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. I was supposed to read for school about 40 years ago and never did it. Most of it's pretty good, though occasionally I don't know what people are talking about. I can't believe they tried to make me read it when I was like 16 years old. One thing that surprised me is some parts are really funny, like the four guys to make the rich French dudes chocolate, the spy's funeral/riot and six guys named Jaques.

I love the part where the wine cask breaks and everyone goes nuts, sucking wine from the cracks in the cobblestones, etc. Good times.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by rileykill

View Post

Just finished The Scar by China Mieville --- reading it due to a recommendation from the forum. Pretty awesome trilogy. Book two was better than book one, IMO.

Agreed...The Scar was probably my favorite.

Iron Council was a step up from the previous two in many ways, but the narrative felt too disjointed.

Has anyone read Embassytown?

• Members

i picked up on amazong "As I Lay Dying" based on your breau's suggestion. only about 30 pages in, just reading it on my daily subway ride to work. so far so good, a bit confusing at first with all the different characters but i think im starting to figure it all out

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TravvyBear

View Post

Just finished The Hunger Games series. Really good.

quarter_share_full.jpg

That looks like it's right up my ally, I was looking at it on Amazon, seems like it's a series, is it the first on in the series? I want to start at the beginning.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by orourke

View Post

That looks like it's right up my ally, I was looking at it on Amazon, seems like it's a series, is it the first on in the series? I want to start at the beginning.

Yeah, Quarter Share is the first. I'm liking it so far.

There is actually a character named O'Rourke

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mcnabbanov

View Post

i picked up on amazong "As I Lay Dying" based on your breau's suggestion. only about 30 pages in, just reading it on my daily subway ride to work. so far so good, a bit confusing at first with all the different characters but i think im starting to figure it all out

The being confused and figuring out is the best part of AILD.

• 8 months later...

Archived