What are you reading?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by -PlagueAsAForm-

View Post

I am a little over halfway through Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman and it is awesome. Next up is A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings before season 2 begins in April, and also Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind.

Watchu got?

Waiting on my copy of Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind, Btw, cool.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by misterstomach

View Post

right now i'm reading "growth of the soil" by knut hamsun.

That is next on my pile.

Cancer Ward - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn -- just finishing

Grimus - Salman Rushdie -- just started

Absalon, Absalon - Faulkner -- half way through

and my long term struggle of little chunks of Finnegan's Wake each day.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by fruvai

View Post

Ulysses (or should I say struggling to)

Before you give up reading it, try listening to the audio version of the book and then go back and read it...the audio version is very well done and you easily get a feel for Joyce's wordplay. I really enjoyed the audio version and it made it much easier to get finish reading the second half of the book. I may to try the same thing with Finnegan's Wake.

• Members

Just finished all 5 audiobooks of A Song of Ice and Fire, and I'm about to start the Dunk & Egg novellas (3 short stories set in Westeros 100 years previous to asoiaf). Roy Dotrice's reading of A Feast for Crows became available almost immediately after I finished Storm of Swords, which was a fantastic coincidence. After hearing him do the first 3 books, nothing else could ever do. The way he acts out all the lines and voices each character really brings the story to life, and all the characters especially. I like Peter Dinklage as much as the next guy, but to me Roy is the true Tyrion Lannister. He'll be playing Hallyne the pyromancer in season 2, a pretty small part, but he's already every other character anyway.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TravvyBear

View Post

steve-jobs-biography.jpg

fanboiiii.

i'm not reading anything but articles and such on the internet, not too much time for a book these days. but i think i may order a book or two on the cheaps for my subway commute to read instead of playing dumb games on i iphone

• Members

View Post

I am a little over halfway through Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman and it is awesome. Next up is A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings before season 2 begins in April, and also Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind.

Watchu got?

Loved Neverwhere! It is a fun read.

Just started reading Downtown Owl by Chuck Klosterman. So far so good.

• Members

View Post

Watchu got?

Yeah, Clash of Kings is my next book so I can get it finished before the show starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Gnarly

View Post

I just finished A Feast for Crows and am about to start A Dance With Dragons, really digging the whole Song of Ice and Fire series.

You know, it's the one thing I've read where I preferred the adaptation. I think the books are in dire need of a good editor (the first, at least, as that's all I've read, but I've been told it gets no better).

Quote Originally Posted by HP Hovercraft

View Post

Just finished Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Previously it was everything that Neil Gaiman has ever written. Next up, the A Song of Ice and Fire series.

/geek

I do that - obsess about a certain author and read everything they've written. I've done it with Gaiman, Iain Banks (and his Iain M Banks stuff), Terry Pratchett when I was younger

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by arthurdent'd

View Post

"When You are Engulfed in Flames" by David Sedaris, I love his writing, funny, quirky and insightful.

see my photo above ^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Warpsmasher

View Post

Just finished all 5 audiobooks of A Song of Ice and Fire

Maybe I should try the audiobooks.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle

View Post

Do it, they are great

I've never really got into audiobooks before. One thing I'm worried about is, often when I'm reading my thoughts will drift off and I'll get to the end of the page without taking any of the words in, so I'll go back and reread it. I don't want to have to be rewinding all the time biggrin.gif

Maybe I'll try to find a free trial of a book. I think it's Audible that gives you a free book when you sign up? I may not have that right though.

Archived