What are you reading?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Life of Pi is the most recent thing I finished. Book group pick. On a scale of 10 I give it an even five because of the mix of very good parts and very questionable parts.

Other current books -

Against The Day - Thomas Pynchon. This book is a trip - all over the place. Amusing, wildly inventive. Takes some concentration, not a light read. But I'm very intrigued so far. First attempt at Pynchon who is often referred as a bit difficult. Huge book - I'm only about 1/4 of the way.

The Stonemason - Cormac McCarthy. A play instead of one of his novels. Recommended. Very different than his novels. If you like his dialogue (which is what I like about his writing most of all) then here you go - a play - all dialogue!

I'm in the middle of the Ice and Fire series because the author is, too. Just finished the 5th book. Almost tossed in the towel in book 4...the plot moved in such tiny, slow increments in that volume. But I love the atmosphere and the imaginative excursion into such a violent, harsh world where courageous humans do their best against cruel Fate and yet crueler other humans. But hey Mr Martin, pick up the pace just a tad, ok?

Halfway through a good crime novel - Vendetta by Michael Dibdin. When I want lighter reading I usually turn to sci-fi or fantasy, but this was given to me, and it's good police-procedural entertainment.

The Rest Is Noise - Listening to the Twentieth Century by Alex Ross. Well-written history of music dealing mostly with the moderns and their immediate precursors. Mahler,Strauss start things off, then it's Debussy, Satie, and on to Schoenberg, Webern, Berg, and so on and so forth till the thread of musical progress starts to unravel and fragment and become almost impossible to encapsulate, at least at this date. Very well written and readable for cultural history. Recommended if you are like me - very interested in the music, but needing some help trying to grasp all the radical changes that modern styles brought.

nat whilk ii

• Members

I think I'll be starting the Vernor Vinge from the previous page next. Seeing that made me go back to a decent library. Just finished The Long Earth by (Sir) Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. Didn't blow my mind quite the way that mind-blowing combination of authors would suggest, but still loved it.

Also in queue and new:

Bowl Of Heaven by Niven and Benford (!)

Devil's Wake by Steven Barnes and T. Due

Zero History, new William Gibson!

Also will be checking out the new Brin

Also recently finished 3 John Corey series books by Nelson DeMille. Parents loaned me one, my local library is mostly donations so no wonder, plenty more there by THAT author. Terrorist/FBI intrigue with an amusing/funny main character.

Other motherlodes of great reading I've devoured in the last year:

everything by Robert Sawyer, Canada's top scifi author, mostly near-future stuff

Jim Butcher, Dresden Files books (literary crack) and the Alera Codex

Archived