Fender Offset Special - Yay or nay?

woolyh

• Members

Had potential, but Fender needs to do some more surveys and research before jumping ahead and doing stuff. if they were really down to earth and cared about customer satisfaction, some Fender rep could post a thread on a ton of guitar forums asking what we're into... because it feels like we're the target demographic for this guitar. Bit too pricey for most little kids, bit too wild for really old dudes who prefer their strats and teles...

if they would've set the knobs back a bit, i might think about it.

I'd be concerned about hitting the knobs too.

IMHO, the Offset Special isn't bad looking. Certainly better than a Starcaster, although I'm sure the dozen or so die-hard Greenwood / Starcaster fans we have here will disagree with me. ;) Still, I think I prefer the overall look of the Jaguarillo over that of the Offset Special. It would still need some mods to make me totally happy, but I like the basic platform better.

• Members

They look like they just dropped some random pieces together, anyone here with the same software could have come up with much more interesting designs..

Also, at $850 plus whatever you need to spend for mods, comes to $1000 at least. A bit much for "an experiment". I'd go for warmoth or a Squier offset.

• Members

I was super into the black one when the first bunch of pictures came out, but looking at it now and it just looks odd.

Still interested in what it plays like.

Looks like they do need some kind of pickguard though, there's something missing.

• Members

it could have been so much better. and definitely not worth as much as they're charging. the pawn shops should be MIM price range instead. i think these will be discontinued within 12 months.

Archived