OT: Bane wanna be attacks!

mhuxtable

• Members

the AK can fire 30 rounds (or even 75rd drum mag like the north hollywood bank robbers) as fast as you can pull the trigger. a typical bolt action hunting rifle can hold 4-5 rounds and the bolt must be worked between each shot. you can slap a fresh mag in an AK in seconds, the rounds must be individually loaded in a typical bolt action hunting rifle.

it's not about the ability to kill a single person, you dim ****, it's about being able to fire off dozens of rounds and reload more in seconds.

So what's your solution? Ban anything that can hold more than 5 rounds? Ban any gun with a detachable magazine? Genuinely curious how you think things could be better.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the AK can fire 30 rounds (or even 75rd drum mag like the north hollywood bank robbers) as fast as you can pull the trigger. a typical bolt action hunting rifle can hold 4-5 rounds and the bolt must be worked between each shot. you can slap a fresh mag in an AK in seconds, the rounds must be individually loaded in a typical bolt action hunting rifle.

You've obviously never heard of stripper clips. Recharging a fixed (non-removable) magazine weapon like a SKS (semi-auto, fixed 10 round magazine) or 1903 Springfield (bolt action, fixed 5 round magazine) isn't really all that much slower than swapping magazines on something like a AR15 or AK47 if you know what you're doing. Rate of fire is obviously slower with a bolt action, but again, rate of fire vs rate of accurate, aimed fire are two different things. If someone was determined to do significant damage with a bolt action rifle, it certainly wouldn't be too difficult for them to get around some of their limitations.

• Members

You've obviously never heard of stripper clips. Recharging a fixed (non-removable) magazine weapon like a SKS (semi-auto, fixed 10 round magazine) or 1903 Springfield (bolt action, fixed 5 round magazine) isn't really all that much slower than swapping magazines on something like a AR15 or AK47 if you know what you're doing. Rate of fire is obviously slower with a bolt action, but again, rate of fire vs rate of accurate, aimed fire are two different things. If someone was determined to do significant damage with a bolt action rifle, it certainly wouldn't be too difficult for them to get around some of their limitations.

SKS' can be modded to take 20 round mags and larger. I have a 53 Russia and took out the fixed mag and can now use Tapco 20 round mags with it. Just like an AK now but with a longer barrel and the bolt needs to be open to put the mag in and take the mag out.

• Members

Using a stripper clip, a person, with practice, can easily get off 10-12 accurate shots per minute.

Increasing gun control will not limit these types of events. Hell, using a gun is a fairly inefficient method for a single person to inflict mass casualties. He could have easily used combustible materials to have killed and maimed more people.

The world is a dangerous place. There are psychopathic assholes in it. Limiting the actions of those who live within the current laws will do nothing to lessen the violence some people choose to inflict on others.

• Members

Wow....did not expect this thread to turn out like this.

My very cheap $.02....I'd take the opinion on a subject from someone who has first hand and knowledgable experience much more seriously than I would from someone who has a strong opinion and has done some reading.

Guns are a serious issue, not inherently, but because of who wields them. Responsible, law abiding owners are not the issue...it's the other guys who are dangerous. And yes it's a huge multi faceted issue dealing with poverty, crime, drugs, politics etc...

Some point was made about criminals not bringing guns to break ins because they just want to score and not get pinched for armed robbery instead of burglary....I'm sorry but do you really think someone who plans to break into a house gives a {censored} about the consequences of their actions?

Protect your home and families whatever way you see fit...whether its a gun, a security system, armed guard, your kind words and quick wit, whatever. Just take care yourselves, and each other -Jerry Springer

• Members

of course I've heard of stripper clips. have you ever used them? even in relaxed conditions they can be difficult to line up. a magazine change is much quicker. not to mention most bolt rifles these days are scoped, which blocks their use.

if you guys are seriously arguing that it's as easy to kill a load of people with a bolt action rifle as it is with an AK or an AR variant then i gotta leave.

• Members

There's some correlation, but there are plenty of other avenues that give the bad guys access to weapons. Frankly, "gun laws" only affect the law-abiding; if you think the gangs here in California are going to turn in their firearms just because a new law was passed requiring them to do so, I think you're mistaken.

Besides, even if I could wave a magic wand and cause every firearm on the planet to disappear, there would still be murders and mass murders. People would just switch to other types of weapons, such as explosives, contact weapons, driving cars through crowds, etc.

I don't totally agree. In general, I see your point yes. But there are incentives, two kinds. A) Reward of some $ for turning them in, no questions asked. b) if you don't turn in an illegal gun, automatic 10 years in prison (or something like that) for not cooperating. SOme still won't turn in their guns, but with the right incentives, it would help.

As far as using other weapons, it would happen, but not nearly as easily. Tough to drive that Hyundai into that crowded theater and kill and injure 72 people as now reported.

• Members

I stopped for some beer at the local grocery store on the way home. Stopped by the magazine section, which wasn't very big. 1 guitar magazine (not even a good one) and yet, 16 gun magazines. Clearly, the problem in our country is that we need more guitars, and guitar related magazines, and less guns (and gun magazines). Can't remember the last time someone killed someone with a guitar. It's probably happened, but not like gun violence (34/day killed, 90+ injured by guns/day).

• Members

Wow....did not expect this thread to turn out like this.

My very cheap $.02....I'd take the opinion on a subject from someone who has first hand and knowledgable experience much more seriously than I would from someone who has a strong opinion and has done some reading.

Guns are a serious issue, not inherently, but because of who wields them. Responsible, law abiding owners are not the issue...it's the other guys who are dangerous. And yes it's a huge multi faceted issue dealing with poverty, crime, drugs, politics etc...

Some point was made about criminals not bringing guns to break ins because they just want to score and not get pinched for armed robbery instead of burglary....I'm sorry but do you really think someone who plans to break into a house gives a {censored} about the consequences of their actions?

Protect your home and families whatever way you see fit...whether its a gun, a security system, armed guard, your kind words and quick wit, whatever. Just take care yourselves, and each other -Jerry Springer

I'm not sure if you're referring to this or not but I said that people who break in carrying guns are not generally looking to shoot them but to scare people with them.

• Members

I don't totally agree. In general, I see your point yes. But there are incentives, two kinds. A) Reward of some $ for turning them in, no questions asked. b) if you don't turn in an illegal gun, automatic 10 years in prison (or something like that) for not cooperating. SOme still won't turn in their guns, but with the right incentives, it would help.

As far as using other weapons, it would happen, but not nearly as easily. Tough to drive that Hyundai into that crowded theater and kill and injure 72 people as now reported.

No you just wait till there is a group of people on bikes and plow through them with a VW. Look for that youtube video. We are splitting hairs. Guns aren't the problem. People are. To argue this fact is absurd and over looking what is really going on. Lets ban teeth because of that guy that gnawed that dudes face of in Florida. Everyone pull your teeth out and send them in. Next, no more air planes. We have seen the devastation they can do. {censored} air travel. Cars should be banned as well. Piano wire is also on the list of things that should be banned. Gas as well.

• Members

I'm not sure if you're referring to this or not but I said that people who break in carrying guns are not generally looking to shoot them but to scare people with them.

So because they might be trying to scare me I should just see what happens? That seems a bit absurd.

• Members

Also on the way home, I was listening to AM radio. Show had a guest host, liberal show, not conservative (hard to find, I know). So the host was somewhat ignorant of guns, and what they're used for, i.e. different guns used for squirrel hunting, vs. deer hunting, versus clay pigeons, etc. She got "educated" by a call in visitor. Very civil conversation. The caller was a big gun owner, but like a lot of responsible owners, hates being viewed as a gun wacko, just because she has and likes guns (she was ironically enough, not a fan of handguns or assault rifles). Anyways, she said the way to do it, is not through gun control, as we all pretty much know is too impossible with the amount of guns in our country. But to control the ammunition.

So, what if there was a federal statute controlling all ammunition. To buy it, you have to pass strict background checks, mental health tests, etc. If you pass, you get the ammo, but if not, no ammo. Since it doesn't impact "arms" directly, it doesn't violate the 2nd amendment, and by making it federal law, every state will have the same rules and 1 database to use. I'm sure there are a lot of ways to poke holes in this, but perhaps this could be one way to make it work? Maybe this is old news, but I thought it interesting to discuss at least.

• Members

No you just wait till there is a group of people on bikes and plow through them with a VW. Look for that youtube video. We are splitting hairs. Guns aren't the problem. People are. To argue this fact is absurd and over looking what is really going on. Lets ban teeth because of that guy that gnawed that dudes face of in Florida. Everyone pull your teeth out and send them in. Next, no more air planes. We have seen the devastation they can do. {censored} air travel. Cars should be banned as well. Piano wire is also on the list of things that should be banned. Gas as well.

How many people were killed and/or injured by the VW? I can't be bothered to look it up, but maybe you have the facts.

I agree, people are the problem. But the tools they use are the problem too. And lack of proper mental health care is also a really big problem, thank you President Reagan for that. WHen (primarily) young men decide they can't cope with society for whatever reason, usually it's a gun and related devices that they use to unleash their hate/anger.

Again, I know it isn't fair to law abiding gun owners. I wish there was a way to allow the "right" people to own guns, while not allowing the nut jobs to have them. This fella in Colorado apparently purchased these guns legally less than 6 months ago. Not sure anyone could have stopped him. About the only group I could think of that might have some insight, are the faculty he was working with when he began the withdrawal process of his PhD. I'll be curious to hear what they thought of him.

• Members

There are some folks that believe this is already happening in a covert, tinfoil hat sort of way. The price of ammunition has risen dramatically in the last few years. It's a decent idea but people are determined. Most of the people in my step-fathers gun club do their own hand loading and many cast their own rounds. Before anybody wigs out this club is a single action cowboy style shooting club filled mostly with cops.

Archived