OT: Bane wanna be attacks!

mhuxtable

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It appears as if there are a bunch of hobbyist target shooters here. I think those people are more likely to take gun safety seriously, practice on the range, and select loads based on application such as home defense. That isn't to say everybody is always conscientious regarding gun ownership but the weekend target shooter has been the most responsible gun owners I have encountered.

How can you guarantee me, that the average law abiding gun owner is better trained? That's a real stretch. A lot of gun owners don't necessarily use or train with their gun. They have them, they put them away. The problem is, in many of these situations, you're sound asleep (assuming the break-in is at night). Your gun is stored safely (especially if you have children), you may even keep your ammunition separate for safety sakes, the intruder is in your home, maybe you hear him, maybe you don't. If you do hear him, you're probably disoriented, it's dark, adrenaline is pumping all of a sudden. How will you really react? No one knows, really. Now maybe you Hux, will react differently. A lot of "average" gun owners, may not be able to use their gun in time, many end up having it used against them. I dunno, as I certainly do see pros and cons of owning guns. I'm not totally anti gun. I get that way when I see so many people killed and injured senselessly. If I had to give up my rights to own a gun, knowing no one else would have one either, I clearly would. But of course that's wishful thinking.

• Members

I'm sorry about your partner :(

I didnt intend this thread to derail...but it's a valid conversation. I'm sorry your strong personal beliefs don't coincide with others, but you don't have to take part in or even read the discussion.

• Members

Actually it's these kind of tragedies that will be used to take guns away, so it IS an opportunity to chime in in defense of the second amendment.

Yes. I've lost a family member to gun violence. I don't blame the weapon, the problem was the criminal. Had his skull been bashed in with a lead pipe, he would still be just as dead.

• Members

man Phil, sure wish you'd close this gun lovers circle jerk....oh wait you seem to be one of them. My life partner is directly effected by this tragedy, she is a CU Medical School student, and knew who the shooter was. Her lab was shut down by the bomb squad and dogs and stuff....it is an awful tragedy, with real, tangible human consequences. NOT an opportunity for gun enthusiasts to opine. {censored} THIS THREAD IN THE ASS WITH AN AUTOMATIC WEAPON.

And if there weren't guns, he would have killed people some other way.

SKS' can be modded to take 20 round mags and larger I have a 53 Russia and took out the fixed mag and can now use Tapco 20 round mags with it. Just like an AK now but with a longer barrel and the bolt needs to be open to put the mag in and take the mag out.

You're absolutely correct - you can modify a SKS to accept removable magazines fairly easily. However, in its stock configuration, it has a fixed ten round magazine.

How come it seems like I read far more tragic stories about gun accidents then people successfully defending themselves with guns?

Why is the news full of negative stories instead of positive, uplifting stories - even though both happen every day?

IMHO, it comes down to what draws viewers - I'm sure you've heard the expression "if it bleeds, it leads" - that refers to the leading story of the publication or broadcast. If a person gets brutally killed, that's front page news. If a single woman scares off someone who is trying to break into her apartment by letting them hear her racking the action of her pump shotgun, it's hidden somewhere in the back pages of the local news section of the paper, if it makes it in there at all.

• Members
man, you are tedious
:rolleyes:

Can you not agree on this point though? Look at the event that is the original topic of this thread. Dude had a bunch of explosives and {censored}. Clearly guns aren't the only means of harming people. And definitely not the most practical for killing a lot of people at once. See Syria bus explosion. 7 dead, one bomb and all the people hadn't boarded the bus yet.

• Members

Can you not agree on this point though? Look at the event that is the original topic of this thread. Dude had a bunch of explosives and {censored}. Clearly guns aren't the only means of harming people. And definitely not the most practical for killing a lot of people at once. See Syria bus explosion. 7 dead, one bomb and all the people hadn't boarded the bus yet.

Can you just walk away?

• Members

Why all the hate of mentally ill people? They're much more likely to be victims of crimes that perpetrators.
Unless you want to call conservatism mental illness

The last part made me laugh. I think at least for me, I'm using mental illness broadly, as there are many kinds. But you have to be somewhat disturbed, whether it's medically diagnosed or not, to do this kind of awful killing spree. You just aren't sane to do something like this. I'm speculating here without any evidence, that the pressure of this PhD program caused this young man just to go over the edge. True, many mentally ill people never turn violent, and are often victims themselves, or end up hurting themselves instead.

• Members

...because the amount of people killed every year by explosives is just outta control by comparison?

• Members

Interesting point. I wonder what his endgame really was, with the easy surrender and booby trapped apartment. Apparently he has asked for a lawyer and refused to cooperate. Odd for a crazy plea isn't it?

• Members

Why is the news full of negative stories instead of positive, uplifting stories - even though both happen every day?

IMHO, it comes down to what draws viewers - I'm sure you've heard the expression "if it bleeds, it leads" - that refers to the leading story of the publication or broadcast. If a person gets brutally killed, that's front page news. If a single woman scares off someone who is trying to break into her apartment by letting them hear her racking the action of her pump shotgun, it's hidden somewhere in the back pages of the local news section of the paper, if it makes it in there at all.

Actually, I do remember one good (if you call it that) story of a young woman somewhere down south I think it was. She was 17 or 18, and her 50 year old husband and just died. She lived in a trailer, and 2 thugs came to her door to "visit" her. She didn't trust them or something like that. But they broke in, and she was ready. 2 barrels of a shotgun met 1 guy, and killed him instantly. If she hadn't done that, both her and maybe her newborn wouldn't have survived. I was glad she was able to defend herself. It was a story you don't hear about very often.

And that's because it seldom does happen like this. Compared to the many shootings that don't end happily. Way more shootings are like this in one in Colorado, or gang violence, or driveby's, etc. Or suicides, accidental shootings, etc. Stories of the responsible gun owner killing an intruder who also has a gun, is a pretty rare occurrence. For better or worse.

• Members

How come it seems like I read far more tragic stories about gun accidents then people successfully defending themselves with guns?

Didn't you read the George Zimmerman story? He was a law abiding citizen, packing a gun, defending himself from a teenager who he confronted. He successfully defended himself. It was god's will.

• Members

Interesting point. I wonder what his endgame really was, with the easy surrender and booby trapped apartment. Apparently he has asked for a lawyer and refused to cooperate. Odd for a crazy plea isn't it?

Yeah I wonder what his "point" is in all of this. What seems somewhat unusual in all of this, is that he wasn't killed in action himself, or take his own life. Usually this is the end result. But here, it seems like he did his shooting, boobytrapped his apartment, and then just stopped, and sat in his car until the police showed up.

• Members

...because the amount of people killed every year by explosives is just outta control by comparison?

Isn't any murder out of control regardless of the means of how they killed the person? On average there are 1,800 people killed from knife crime. Guns are drastically larger with some 50,000 in 2000. But should those 1,800 be over looked?

• Members

Didn't you read the George Zimmerman story? He was a law abiding citizen, packing a gun, defending himself from a teenager who he confronted. He successfully defended himself. It was god's will.

A security guard with a gun is not the same as a responsible gun owner. It's a security guard, with a gun. Bad idea.

Archived