Top 50 Scariest Horror Films

• Members

....the other thing is since my degree was half film studies, I tend to watch films a bit differently since. It's harder to suspend disbelief and in the case of Lynch I find myself sitting there admiring the cinematography and enjoying devices that he's used to create an emotional response or whatever.... it sounds a bit sad that actually doesn't it? ... it's kind of killed the film experience a little.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Meh. Return movies are fun ("send more cops!"), But Night was extremely deep for a horror flick, and launched the genre. It will always be a classic, Return is popcorn fare for kids looking for red corn syrup and bewbiez.

and that's exactly why I'm not a Romero fan. I WANT fun with my horror movies, that's why I watch them. I don't want some preachy bull{censored} political message wedged into a zombie movie, it actually just comes off as more eye-roll worthy than the campiest slasher. If I want deep, insightful movies with a message I'll watch a drama or documentary.

No zombie movie will ever have a life changing impact (belief wise) on anyone.

• Members

just wrapped up my goal of 31 horror movies in 31 days with a Bruce Campbell triple bill. I may watch a couple movies tomorrow if nothings going on (plus The Walking Dead is on tomorrow, can't wait!) since there's still a bunch I want to see, but for now, the final list was:

01. dead Girl

02. martyrs

03. they live

04. the thing

05. it's alive (2008)

06. splice

07. daybreakers

08. let the right one in

09. fright night

10. the lost boys

11. thankskilling

12: basket case

13. ravenous

14. hatchet

15. c.h.u.d.

16. blood car

17. scanners

18. severance

19. the collector

20. funny games

21. isolation

22. hellraiser

23. hellbound: hellraiser 2

24. warlock

25. doghouse

26. satan's little helper

27. someone's knocking at the door

28. pumpkinhead

29. the evil dead

30. evil dead II: dead by dawn

31. army of darkness

I admit that I was a little loose in the "horror" definition, but they all had aspects and fit with the season. saw some great movies I hadn't seen before, and some of the most awful {censored} ever too. at least the good outweighed the bad. still have some lined up that I've been meaning to watch but didn't get around to (off the top of my head: wizard of gore, creepshow 2, hausu, in the mouth of madness).

• Members
Next up: Dark Water. This thread has good recommendations. Approved:
:thu:

if you're watching the original (i haven't seen the US version) be patient.. it builds, and builds, and builds really quietly. very un-traditional structure for a from the standard horror format which normally requires a scare at the start of the film then the rest of the standard formula.

check out 'A Tale of Two Sisters' aswell..
[YOUTUBE]anF5XiN8QY8[/YOUTUBE]

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

It's a shame you rarely get horror films that end on something genuinely creepy now. You don't get endings like Don't Look Now or (weirdly similar) Dark Water, or The Orphanage, very often. REC maybe, or even The Mist but even they're a few years old now, and in the minority.

I think it's partly because American horror films are so plot-orientated that the climax has to be that "the monster is defeated" by the wholesome American teenager, which detracts away from the climax being what it should be: A {censored}ed up, creepy, disturbing event, and so then the aftermath, the very final scene, has to have the scare instead, and since the monster is defeated....they never make any {censored}ing sense whatsoever, and because they are predictable too, they fail to be scary. Having it the other way round has far more of an impact. The scare then the plot in relation to it.

Actually, while I'm here, if you like ghost stories then take a look at this on youtube. There are six more parts and it goes on for about 45 minutes, and you really need to be in the mood to watch. I.e. not much happens, but when it does, it's great. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyMAqI5qyi0&feature=related

• Members

Haven't read all the post, but I'm pretty sure Return to Oz hasn't been mentioned. Man, when I was a kid that movie scared the {censored} out of me! That scene where they put the moose head on the couch, and that bitch starts talking.....what the {censored}. Elm Street didn't give me nightmares like that {censored}er did. Crazy!

Archived