Top 50 Scariest Horror Films

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Thing is a great movie, and certainly deserves to be on the list. I don't know that I would say it should be #1 though.

This is always the time of year when I look for horror movies I've never seen, and also watch a few old favorites. Maybe I'll start this weekend.

• Members

I thought silence of the lambs was scary (not nightmare scary, but thrilling)... I don't generally get scared by horror movies, I'm more scared of things that are possible, like getting attacked by a grizzly bear, or stabbed by someone.

• Members

Martyrs isn't
that
scary.. but it's the most gawp-inducing film i've ever seen. shock and {censored}ing awe to the extreme. without being gratuitous like the lame Saw/Hostel films.

I agree, it wasn't really that scary, but it did have some intense moments.

I'm telling you, check out "A Serbian Film". You won't regret it.

• Members

I didn't think the first Saw was so bad, but would not watch the other 5 or 6 or however many they made. Most people I've discussed horror movies with like the first one and none of the sequels.

One movie on this list that I really like is 28 Days Later.

• Members

Martyrs isn't
that
scary.. but it's the most gawp-inducing film i've ever seen. shock and {censored}ing awe to the extreme. without being gratuitous like the lame Saw/Hostel films.

Oh I agree it probably isn't hugely scary, but there were other flicks listed there that were like My Little Pony in comparison.

Gotta make some sort of emotional attachment to the characters if you want to scare, then bricks will be shat. Otherwise it's just funny ha ha ew gross when their brains go flying.

• Members

Jaws is one of my all-time favorites, though I dunno if I'd call it scary. Maybe I've seen it too many times so it lost its impact. The sequels are lame as hell. Good on Roy Scheider for refusing to do more than 2, even if it did cost him his carreer.

Buried alive stuff always freaks the hell out of me. Kind of like in Kill Bill, even if it isn't part of the scary genre. Something about the dark, tight spaces and little oxygen.

• Members

Damn, can you view all 50 in the list at once?

The Changeling 1980 is up there for me, easily top three.

The Thing is awesome has some great jump scares. I love old school special effects.

Tape, have you seen the The Descent? The first half is really excellent, but it goes downhill. I really want to see the new movie Buried!

Quatermass is influential I dug it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3434833733223827719#

Archived