OT: Fox News Suicide Live on Air

Aristotle

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When I see {censored} like this, I feel like everybody failed. He failed, the police failed, society failed, I failed and the news certainly did too.

Suicide has been in the news quite a bit lately, it makes me nervous. Some people take that as an okay, or it puts the idea in their heads a little longer. *but hey, we're already talkin' about it.

I'm interested as to what was his motivation was for all this. Crime gone bad, or something more complicated? This could turn into a political {censored} storm if he was an illegal or had a mental condition.

An Arizona carjacker who shot at police and at a TV news helicopter during a high speed chase ended the pursuit by getting out of the car and shooting himself in the head, which was broadcast live on Fox News Channel.

Police pursued the suspect, identified only as an adult male, who stole a red SUV in Phoenix after getting into an accident with another car he had been driving.

Cops were alerted to both incidents and realized the suspect in both cases shared a description. When cops began to pursue the suspect, he started shooting at police cars, said Phoenix Police spokesman Tommy Thompson.

Police then fell back and followed the car from a distance. The suspect, however, shot at the Fox News chopper that covered the chase along I-10 outside about 75 miles from the California border.

Initial reports indicated that a victim may have remained in the stolen car, but Thompson said only the suspect was involved.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/carjacking-chase-ends-suicide-live-tv/story?id=17351162#.UGaK-E3A88U

• Members

I also don't think turning a blind eye to reality is good, it might be more comfortable but its not good. The Bush administration banned media from showing the returning corpses of soldiers killed in the middle east. They realized, "out of sight, out of mind." I think the public should be shown nightly the graphic images of military action, including blown up civilians and soldiers.

I agree on the war issue, but I think there's a difference between broad military engagement and exploiting one man's self-destruction for it's action movie qualities. The fact we show the later over the former is another ugly fact of American culture that bothers me. I say, if you want to focus on the plight of everyday people, look into the causes. Do some research. That would do a whole lot more good than contributing to the negativity sphere that is American media with grizzly footage and detailed reports of murder and rape every damn afternoon.

I say, we must continue taking the culture back into our own hands. Create and promote alternatives. Band together. Don't back down. :cool:

• Members

People suiciding is something I have to deal with regularly (type if work I'm in) and what goes through someone's mind moments before is still one of the most chilling things to be present with. I hate that that happened but hopefully a lot of awareness comes from it and people start paying attention/asking the question.

• Members

agreed

Nobody is being overtly crass here, if they were i'm sure Phil would have dealt with them. The last thing I want to delve into is my (former) career background as this will never be the forum for the topic, but its safe to say I know more about how a human being deals with death than you from day to day experience so when I say step off the high horse, i'm not doing it to dick with you. Most of the responses in jest are perfectly normal and healthy after watching a replay of somebody killing themselves on live television(most of the posters here are males ages 15-25) Had anyone in this thread actually watched this live as it happened I highly doubt they would be laughing or making jokes, but would probably seek counsel. But nobody in this thread did (I guarantee you they would've said so, and nobody watches shepard smith on FOX news here, get {censored}ing real), so stop bitching to bitch please.

• Members

Nobody is being overtly crass here, if they were i'm sure Phil would have dealt with them. The last thing I want to delve into is my (former) career background as this will never be the forum for the topic, but its safe to say I know more about how a human being deals with death than you from day to day experience so when I say step off the high horse, i'm not doing it to dick with you. Most of the responses in jest are perfectly normal and healthy after watching a replay of somebody killing themselves on live television. Had anyone in this thread actually watched this live as it happened I highly doubt they would be laughing or making jokes, but would probably seek counsel. But nobody in this thread did (I guarantee you they would've said so, and nobody watches shepard smith on FOX news here, get {censored}ing real), so stop bitching to bitch please.

Yeah people are more flippant when theres 2 layers of artificial detachment between them and the event. Don't see how thats a good thing though.

• Members

The guy was a criminal. I don't see it as a big loss to society or the world. He chose to blow his head off. He had enough of his Fake Life and decided it was Shower Time and went Straight Down.

If people were born criminals, I suppose you'd have a point. You don't see this in modern countries with lower poverty rates. This is symptomatic of a failing society and a desperate man, dirtbag criminal or not, who likely has friends and family. Big picture, dude.

:wave:

• Members

Yeah people are more flippant when theres 2 layers of artificial detachment between them and the event. Don't see how thats a good thing though.

This is true. When people have no empathy it is easier not to care. As time goes on we experience more tragedy and misfortune that befalls us or people we care about, and become more sensitive to stories of similar incidents.

But if people encounter the darker side of life regularly - be it working as a cop/paramedic/ect. or simply reading/viewing the constant stream from the news and movies - it is a normal human process to become desensitized or make light of it to deal with it. We must, in order to prevent it from destroying us by living in a state of daily grief.

People's reaction here is testament to how much of this we are bombarded with everyday. I'm sure anyone who is disappointed by these reactions has, in their time, been flippant about different subjects to which others have been sensitive. Nobody is innocent of ever having appeared a cvnt in front of others.

• Members

Hmm. Personally, I was thinking more about what this carjacker's victims must have gone through immediately preceding the chase. You guys who are wringing your hands over the fate of the criminal have misplaced empathy. The second he pulled a gun on someone to steal their car is the moment he deserved to die.

Ever have a gun pointed at you? I have. Ever been carjacked? I haven't, but have been in situations where it was imminent but luckily escaped.

The world is full of violent criminals, which apparently included this guy. He used a gun to commit his crime. Who knows if he may have killed or permanently injured someone. I don't want to see it on TV, and I find this kind of "news" coverage as worthwhile as Celebrity gossip.

That said, I'll restate my opinion that I'm glad he took himself out, so his victims don't have to worry about possible future harm from him and he's not a drain on resources rotting in jail.

• Members

Hmm. Personally, I was thinking more about what this carjacker's victims must have gone through immediately preceding the chase. You guys who are wringing your hands over the fate of the criminal have misplaced empathy. The second he pulled a gun on someone to steal their car is the moment he deserved to die.

Ever have a gun pointed at you? I have. Ever been carjacked? I haven't, but have been in situations where it was imminent but luckily escaped.

The world is full of violent criminals, which apparently included this guy. He used a gun to commit his crime. Who knows if he may have killed or permanently injured someone. I don't want to see it on TV, and I find this kind of "news" coverage as worthwhile as Celebrity gossip.

That said, I'll restate my opinion that I'm glad he took himself out, so his victims don't have to worry about possible future harm from him and he's not a drain on resources rotting in jail.

Seriously? deserved to die?

How very quick we all are to judge.

• Members

Absolutely, if you point a loaded weapon at someone, which one has to assume he did in the commission of the carjacking. If it turns out this guy was just a nut and running for no reason that is a different situation. But I'm fine saying that people who use guns to commit crimes deserve to be shot. You should never aim a gun at anyone unless it is to defend yourself or to prevent someone else from harming others.

What do you think should happen to someone when they threaten to kill others with a gun? Doesn't the threat of death deserve an equal response?

• Members

The left would rather pull out their iPhones and video a guy on fire then help to put it out. This is where we have arrived. They are numb because they have been voyeurs to this activity all their lives without actually experiencing the pain and reality that goes with it. There is little or no empathy or sympathy and these are the very same people that are going decide your fate when they have to decide nursing home and drain the accounts to sustain or extend your life or put you down and inherit your accounts. I fear for their future if their generation is anything like themselves or even worse.

• Members

The left would rather pull out their iPhones and video a guy on fire then help to put it out. This is where we have arrived. They are numb because they have been voyeurs to this activity all their lives without actually experiencing the pain and reality that goes with it. There is little or no empathy or sympathy and these are the very same people that are going decide your fate when they have to decide nursing home and drain the accounts to sustain or extend your life or put you down and inherit your accounts. I fear for their future if there generation are anything like themselves or even worse.

zsghQ.gif

Archived