OT: Fox News Suicide Live on Air

Aristotle

• Members

I find it absurd how it's suddenly a tragedy that this guy went all suicidey on us. You're following a man with a camera in a helicopter, as he runs away from police, in a fast moving, several thousand pound vehicle... but then he's pulls the gun out! "OHMIGOD, I had no idea we were following a desperate man with live video footage"! No {censored}, he pulled out a gun. It was all fun and games before that, right? :sigh: :facepalm:

Fox couldn't wait another thirty seconds for that delay to kick in, could they? {censored}in locusts. Beat people down, take the ad money, repeat.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Anyone remember when daniel victor jones blew his head off on the LA freeway when Eeek! The Cat was supposed to be on instead!?

Was that the guy who had the big sign complaining about HMOs, set his truck on fire with his dog inside, then shot himself in the head with a shotgun? If so then yeah, I remember that.

• Members

So this begs the question: Do we have justification to be shocked? If you air/watch a car chase, isn't something like this to be expected?

Yes, it's still shocking. You don't need justification to be shocked. Being shocked is a gut reaction. I am shocked when some one is hiding behind a door and yells boo!

• Members

That was precisely as graphic as someone doing the "gun" shape with their hand, pretending to shoot and then falling over. He could have faked it and it would've looked exactly the same as far as that clip is concerned. If that disturbs you, i wouldn't recommend going outside anymore because the real world is much scarier.

Budd Dwyer, anyone?

• Members

So this begs the question: Do we have justification to be shocked? If you air/watch a car chase, isn't something like this to be expected?

In today's current 24 hour news cycle, now we shouldn't be shocked - this is what we've come to expect. And that's sad. I wish we were shocked, but we are so bombarded w/ shocking {censored}, this is the future of our news reports. Look at the {censored} that they show on Mexican news. I wish that we could... just for a second... feel some empathy for the family for this guy. And some kind of empathy for the dude himself... That said, maybe he's a total pedophile scumbag (and if that's the case, good riddance)... but as a society, we're so quick to point fingers and place blame because it makes us feel better...

When I see this kind of stuff here's my thought: I don't know all the circumstances. I hope that those who are responsible for investigating this do a thorough and proper job. In the meantime, I'm gonna reserve judgment... call me crazy :idk:

• Members

I'm interested in all things human including the dark side. It appeared that this guy was responding to internal stimuli (meaning that he was floridly psychotic), and needed to escape from what he believed was real. You would be shocked at how many floridly psychotic people there are in the big cities who receive no mental health treatment. They aren't a big voting block so their needs are discounted. Republicans and libertarians would like to cut services even more to save money for the rich.

• Members

I also don't think turning a blind eye to reality is good, it might be more comfortable but its not good. The Bush administration banned media from showing the returning corpses of soldiers killed in the middle east. They realized, "out of sight, out of mind." I think the public should be shown nightly the graphic images of military action, including blown up civilians and soldiers. And we should be regularly shown the after effects of military involvement, such as traumatized children who lost their parents, traumatized adults who lost friends, family, and homes, traumatized soldiers who have PTSD and who commit suicide (very high rate of that currently happening). Its all so shocking! But perhaps that would get us off our lame asses to demand that our government quit doing these things to hundreds of thousands of people year after year. But we would rather be happy and ignorant.

• Members

Three things I've noticed on local news since moving here from the Bay Area:

1) There is a dedicated anchor person on the morning news whose sole job is to report entertainment and celebrity gossip. This person gets more airtime than news or traffic.

2) Stations will interrupt any story with "breaking news" for a police chase. President? Who cares. Libya? {censored} you.

3) The only thing they love more than a good police chase is child molesters. A couple months ago there was a combination police chase/molester story.

• Members

Three things I've noticed on local news since moving here from the Bay Area:

1) There is a dedicated anchor person on the morning news whose sole job is to report entertainment and celebrity gossip. This person gets more airtime than news or traffic.

2) Stations will interrupt any story with "breaking news" for a police chase. President? Who cares. Libya? {censored} you.

3) The only thing they love more than a good police chase is child molesters. A couple months ago there was a combination police chase/molester story.

Speaking of LA, a local news station broadcast a police chase/live suicide a number of years ago. Not gonna watch this one.

Archived