OT: Fox News Suicide Live on Air

Aristotle

• Members

1) joking about tragedy is a valid tool for humanity to cope with and process said tragedy, and doing so can be separated out from real sympathy and grief for the deceased

2) if making light of death is inherently disgusting, enjoying almost any form of entertainment makes you a hypocrite

3) this is not a modern phenomenon; from Gladiators to feeding Christians to lions, to the Salem Witch trials, people have always found entertainment and curiosity in death

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And it's always been gross and in really poor taste.

It doesn't seem like the people who are being crass in this thread are attempting to "cope with and process said tragedy."

Death in a fictional setting is very different than an actual video of someone dying. I think that's the trouble. Some people have trouble making the distinction between something on a screen and real life. Just because it's not happening in the same room as you doesn't mean it's not real. It certainly doesn't mean that it is, I just think that some can't (or choose not to) make the distinction between the two. Everything is a joke. There seems to be a lot of that on HCFX lately.

BRB. Going into the woods to write my manifesto.

• Members

I don't entirely disagree. No question people have a problem with boundaries; we're so used to seeing death in the media... but that's part of the point, no?

If you watch The Bourne Identity, or play Call of Duty, how are you helping? You're feeding into the machine that makes entertainment out of death. You've done your teeny party to make threads like this a reality.

Do you think if we were in the same room with that guy's family, we'd be cracking jokes? Most of us would give them a hug, ampnd want to hear their story. We all know not to take {censored} on the Internet too seriously, don't we?

Cognitive dissonance is our most natural mental state.

• Members

1) joking about tragedy is a valid tool for humanity to cope with and process said tragedy, and doing so can be separated out from real sympathy and grief for the deceased

2) if making light of death is inherently disgusting, enjoying almost any form of entertainment makes you a hypocrite

3) this is not a modern phenomenon; from Gladiators to feeding Christians to lions, to the Salem Witch trials, people have always found entertainment and curiosity in death

1.) Yes, usually humor is a tool for coping done by the people affected from the event. Like if Jews of American Indians used humor to cope with what they've been through, its understandable. If someone outside that uses those events as a tool for humor that doesn't pertain to coping, I don't think thats necessarily right. Even then if it were coping, the humor would kind of be uncalled for because the people didn't experience it themselves.

2.) I think often people's response or "making light of death" is to shrug or make clever or mocking comments to downplay their own insecurity with death, and be emotional disconnected as is part of the hallmark of modernity.

3.) I don't see how any of those events someone justify the present, especially when it could be argued favorably that those techniques were inhumane. I think you're right about the curiosity of death; we always have been, and should be; it affects us all. But I think people deal with it today by laughing at it as a way to ignore it, set up the wall of "good riddance" so as to continue on not thinking about death, or possibly thoughts of suicide.

I've thought about suicide often and been close but I've found that often in those moments - however long in duration, where I thought about it, tried to understand it, that I broke through into a deeper understanding of myself and life affirmation, and wanting to live. I don't mean for that to sound like I'm saying all people who consider or commit suicide should just have "thought" a little more or about it something. So much comes into account for mental/spiritual health.

Further, the notion of death as "entertainment" I think highlights then and today people's ability to project onto others. We see that everywhere today.

• Members

1 & 2) I meant coping with the human condition, which is always, unquestionably, moving toward death. If humor isn't your tool and you think it's in bad taste, can your provide a reason why it's invalid for everyone? Why does knowing the person who died change any kind of right to humor? Again, if that's your line, you don't then get to enjoy any entertainment that was borne of, and inspired by, tragedy. Schindlers List, Louie, whatever. You either think entertainment (drama, humor) can be inspired by suffering, or not. While you might debate traits like whether said entertainment is glib or meant to inspire, those are really just details. You might think something is life affirming, while someone else doesn't. Good intention behind art doesn't guarantee good intention in reception.

3) I'm not saying those things are justifications, just that being desensitized to death isn't a product of movies and video games. It's not a modern phenomenon.

No question that humans losing their lives is tragic, most of the time. I'm surprised at the desire for censorship and restraint, as though there are areas of human existence at are somehow off limits. In HCFX no less, the /b/ of music forums.

• Members

1 & 2) I meant coping with the human condition, which is always, unquestionably, moving toward death.
If humor isn't your tool and you think it's in bad taste, can your provide a reason why it's invalid for everyone? Why does knowing the person who died change any kind of right to humor? Again, if that's your line, you don't then get to enjoy any entertainment that was borne of, and inspired by, tragedy. Schindlers List, Louie, whatever. You either think entertainment (drama, humor) can be inspired by suffering, or not. While you might debate traits like whether said entertainment is glib or meant to inspire, those are really just details. You might think something is life affirming, while someone else doesn't. Good intention behind art doesn't guarantee good intention in reception.

3) I'm not saying those things are justifications, just that being desensitized to death isn't a product of movies and video games. It's not a modern phenomenon.

No question that humans losing their lives is tragic, most of the time. I'm surprised at the desire for censorship and restraint, as though there are areas of human existence at are somehow off limits. In HCFX no less, the /b/ of music forums.

1.) (first bolded) Ok, in part, I see what you mean, maybe I overanalyzed your use of the term "joking" to see it as humor in a deficient sense - where its not "productive" or serving as a way to cope.

I don't know if Schindler's List is a good example cause I don't think its humorous or meant to be.. I think it evokes empathy in the viewer. Humor depicting tragedy and death can also evoke empathy.

My point in my initial response was that I think the problem with people who don't have some kind of connection to the person or persons affected might use or see the "humor" in a manner that isn't productive and engages in the projection I mentioned where they may not really be coping but just unloading (unconsciously) their fear and interest in death onto the person or persons suffering or being depicted in a "humorous" manner. I think humor as a method to cope is valid but its whether people can understand it properly. Which I guess gets to your point, which I agree with;

Good intention behind art doesn't guarantee good intention in reception.

3.) ahh, yes I see; that the desensitization is nothing new.

• Members

I don't entirely disagree. No question people have a problem with boundaries; we're so used to seeing death in the media... but that's part of the point, no?

If you watch The Bourne Identity, or play Call of Duty, how are you helping? You're feeding into the machine that makes entertainment out of death. You've done your teeny party to make threads like this a reality.

Do you think if we were in the same room with that guy's family, we'd be cracking jokes? Most of us would give them a hug, ampnd want to hear their story. We all know not to take {censored} on the Internet too seriously, don't we?

Cognitive dissonance is our most natural mental state.

Well said!

Archived