What will Roland's new synth be? Speculate here..

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Some first blush observations.

1. Only four knobs and four sliders? I know, it has a touch screen, blah blah blah. But four knobs and four sliders?

2. If we're talking legacy, then from the description it sounds more like an updated D50 than a new Jupiter. Hopefully it has a full-featured VA, but with the emphasis on "realism," it seems more like a dynamic rompler.

3. Lots of unused real estate on that panel.

4. The label "performance synth" is troubling. It sounds like an excuse for NOT including a full-featured VA, in favor of "SuperNatural" and "behavior modeling."

5. As an acoustic and electric instrument modeler it will probably sound good, but overall, I'm leaning toward the Kronos.

• Members

They say it models the Jupiter 8 in the mag artical... even suggesting it needs a Roland pot box for realisism. I bet the UI is good though... get the fealing the R&D candle burned on this longer than the Fan G etc...

• Members

Ah, that's the info and picture I'd seen previously--figured someone would post it.

Overall though, the new Jupiter doesn't appear to be a game changer or a full-blown anything. But I don't want to pass judgment until playing it.

• Members

Korg went solid state streaming rampler with some modeling, Roland have gone fuller modeling with some sampling source. I am not into absolute realism, but I do hope it betters the ARX cards as some have suggested they were not that great.

• Members

:mad::cry::lol::thu:

Damn you Roland! Just when I was OK being done with you..

This a very sexy synth. I do hope they make a 61 version though because that thing is bulky; kinda like the overly bloated XV88.

The V-synth, the great instrument that it is, was perfect in size upon it's release in my opinion. I do love the metal ends though and those colored buttons, Jupiter 6 baby!

I am OK with it the "Supernatural" and "Behavior Modeling" gig. We do have to move on and this could be the next V-synth. If my memory serves me right, many have complained about both the V-synth and D-50 not being able to be a full service synth and rompler. This is approaching things from that point.

It is a gamble for both Korg and Roland to release luxury products in this economy, but if the product has the goods then we will find a way to pay for it. These are synths for the pro/semipro guy who wants something of quality, both physically and sonically, and will love to shave off some bloat in their rig. Maybe that is why they went with 76 keys, to set up easy layers and splits. I think the hobbiest and studio guys will love it as well.

Finally the days of the on board sequencer are numbered unfortunately. Almost everyone is using computers in the studio and in just a few years instability of computers live will be a thing of the past. Coming from a massive Star Trek fan of course.

:soapbox: :blah: :blah: :blah:

• Members

indeed we will...i'll hold off buying anything until at least until april 7th!

LOL - I am hoping Roland will have a truly great synth, they are definitely overdue. I wonder if anyone from their company views any of these forums? They couldn't be too happy with all the bashing (deserved or not:)

Archived