What will Roland's new synth be? Speculate here..

• Members

It's more than just a VA + ROMpler... it's got physical modeling (strings), modeling + samples (the new EP engine), and a 6-op FM synth, plus it's a full-fledged workstation with audio tracks and Karma 2... and as said, it can be had for under 3K.

So, fail.

fail...? Grow up man.

I'm sure the stated 'price range' of the Jupiter 80 is MSRP, and the only Kronos I know with >= 76 keys has a MSRP of $4750.

And until we actually know the feature set of the new Jupiter trying to argue that it's overpriced is just stupid.

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Every once in a while Roland releases a top-of-the-line instrument, usually incorporating some kind of new technology (to Roland instruments at least). Then over the course of the next however many years they release cheaper instruments that are derivative of that first most-expensive instrument. This could be what Roland is attempting with the Jupiter-80. If that is the case, I'm quite interested to learn what it is.

I'm still a Roland fan but, releasing a synth with only a 76 key version available cuts into the buyer market. A lot of players like myself would rather have 61 keys or less to save space. FWIW. I did used a QS7.1 for years and finally sold it to save space. I guess one thing to remember is the original Fantom (FA-76) was a 76 key synth which seemed to be released as a tie over synth until the Fantom S series was released. Maybe this is what Roland is doing again. The Jupiter 880 is the one to wait for. LOL.

• Members

if indeed it's a full analogue tweeked up re issue of a jupiter 8 i'll VERY happy i waited for the tempest release date and not to have jumped for a mopho keys + tetra so i can switch my choice to a roland jupiter!

Roland_Jupiter_8.jpg

somehow though i really do not think roland will go down the moog route and re make a classic...

• Members

It's NOT going to be an analog reissue of the Jup-8, you can be 100% sure of that

See, that's why Roland shouldn't recycle the names of their old landmark products... all it does is get people confused.

do you work for Roland?

or is hat your best guess?

• Members

I saw a closed-door preview of it at NAMM while in prototype form. I can't say anything specific until Messe, but the most important aspect of it is not what anyone's expecting. Well, at least I wasn't...

Argh.

This is turning into a total messe.

• Members

Analog engineers are a dying breed. I would be shocked if any of the engineers employed by roland knew enough about analog circuits to all of a sudden come up with another Jupiter 8 type analog synth. Most engineers only know digital these days.

If any of the big three were to come out with new analog synths, they would build up to it like korg is with the monotron. Most likely, you would see a monosynth come out first. Even Moog does not make a polysynth currently. It is a 100% certain that the Juiter 80 is not an 8 voice analog synth. That is why the teaser video uses the word 'spirit'.

• Members

I saw a closed-door preview of it at NAMM while in prototype form. I can't say anything specific until Messe, but the most important aspect of it is not what anyone's expecting. Well, at least I wasn't...

oh lord, it's an accordion isn't it?

a jupiter accordion. :facepalm:

• Members

I could tell you a V-Accordion press conference horror story, but it would take too long to type right now :) It scarred me for life. Hint: the press conference took place in a small, hot demo room and they hadn't banned smoking yet at Messe.

• Members

Roland will debut their own version of Karma, called Samsara -- which, we will discover, is merely an obscure name for the repackaging (or 'rebirth', if you will) of features and technologies from past workstations.

• Members

I find it curious that Roland chose to bring back the name 'Jupiter' at the same time that Korg is releasing a Kronos.

It sounds like Korg and Roland are being cute with each other over the names.

Kronos was, after all, the father of Jupiter. But Jupiter (with his two brothers) eventually overthrew Kronos.

Come to think of it, the overthrow was prophesied by none other than Uranus and -- you guessed it -- Gaia.

Archived