What will Roland's new synth be? Speculate here..

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

.. Of course, it will have Fan-G style S+S, I'm sure, as well ...

The preview said that all sounds will be based on SuperNATURAL technology (some of which use a combination of samples and modeling, others mainly modeling).

• Members

Well, then considering the huge array of sounds indicated on the Jupiter-80's rainbow buttons, Roland has done A LOT of work creating a brand-new supernatual soundset, which currently was limited to drums, EPs and Brass and the acoustic grand on their newest stage pianos ...

Good for them ... Sounds like they are finally moving on from JV/XV/Fantom-style sounds ...

• Members

Seems like the main focus here is instant access to realistic sounds in order to make a quick sale on the first time keyboard buyer with money to spend, but who would be put off by a more complex workstation interface. The Juno-G at least had some cool sampling and sequencing features for making backing tracks. If this doesn't have a sequencer, is this even considered a workstation? It seems like that would just make it a high end Casio with better sounds, or better yet, a JUPRESET-80.

• Members

Seems like the main focus here is instant access to realistic sounds in order to make a quick sale on the first time keyboard buyer with money to spend, but who would be put off by a more complex workstation interface. The Juno-G at least had some cool sampling and sequencing features for making backing tracks. If this doesn't have a sequencer, is this even considered a workstation? It seems like that would just make it a high end Casio with better sounds, or better yet, a JUPRESET-80.

Personally I have all the missing bits covered so knowing the CPU is focused on 100% modeling sound without the need to stream gigs of fixed ROM is pleasing. I am starting to think the sound in the teaser vid is the Jupiter-80 being played. I like what I hear.

I agree, how sounds are tweaked and what depth is a concern as Roland may limit this, then again a touch screen with 4 knobs may actually work real well.. We will have to wait and see how well and how much Roland have given us...

• Members

Seems like the main focus here is instant access to realistic sounds in order to make a quick sale on the first time keyboard buyer with money to spend, but who would be put off by a more complex workstation interface.

With only a Upper, Lower and Solo section and 76 keys I believe this board is aimed at the live keyboardist crowd. Don't keyboards need at least 16 sounds/tracks at a time to be considered a workstation? Does a Studio musican really need a backing track/song player?

• Members

or better yet, a JUPRESET-80.

clearly you've never used the arx supernatural cards. the fantom g is basically a rompler and the arx boards are like mini physical modelling synths. the sound sculpting is way beyond what an ordinary sampler or rompler provides.

here's some links:

arx 1 drums: http://www.roland.com/video/page.cfm?vid=19200577&page=2

arx 2 ep: http://www.roland.com/video/page.cfm?vid=19200577&page=3

they each have custom guis, processing, etc. so when you bring up a piano on the jupiter-80 it would have pages of different things like types of strings, height of the lid, etc and have totally different parameters than say an oboe.

the only catch is that roland can brand anything supernatural. meaning that the depth of something like a gong is different than an ep. you can only change the shape, thickness, mallet, etc on a gong (or church bell).

if you can run something like a gong or whatever into the ep pre amps, amp models, etc now we're talking. i'd prefer an open modular approach like reaktor instead of being closed microcosms like apps on an iphone.

so the potential is great but it might be too "conventional" as opposed to experimental. i'd wanna make the gong out of water or really warp the physical modelling into weird alien gibberish like sculpture in logic.

the demo sounds ok but we have yet to really get any in depth demos and tutorials. even if the technology is really deep and mind blowing it doesn't really matter if it sounds like ass./rant]

*edit:

here's the interactive tour of the brass card:

arx 3 brass: http://www.roland.com/products/en/IT/ARX-03_IT/index.html

it sort of reminds me of sample modelling's the trumpet, trombone and t sax. i'm a sax player and they all sound ok imo especially solo'd. things really don't gel when you combine and layer the sounds or at the very least require more work to sound ok.

• Members

It's a fake. It's gotta be. :facepalm::facepalm:

If it's a fake, whatever Roland does put out, I will buy, but I cannot buy it as we know it now.

Take away the aluminum side panels, just take them.... I never really needed them anyway. I wanted something better on the front, more knobs please... more sliders... the part sliders don't do it, the screen doesn't do it. Just take the screen back and I can be happy with a Juno LED and lots and lots of buttons and sliders like Andromeda. Please do it for the sake of Jupiter heritage and legacy. :cry:

• Members

*edit:

here's the interactive tour of the brass card:

arx 3 brass:

it sort of reminds me of sample modelling's the trumpet, trombone and t sax. i'm a sax player and they all sound ok imo especially solo'd. things really don't gel when you combine and layer the sounds or at the very least require more work to sound ok.

See, but the main issue here which I and am sure many others have is that it's a synthesizer geared toward "SuperNATURAL" acoustic sounds, yet packaged to look like one of their classic analog synths. I never took issue with the MC-303, SH-201 or GAIA because all those at least had the same functionality as the synths they were trying to reference. Even the Juno-G had the ability to create some new and creative sounds using the XV synthesis engine and sampling, so yeah, it even was possible to do analog type sounds if you wanted. But I'm jaded in the sense that I like using synthesizers as a sound creation tool to create something unique and weird that acoustic instruments can't do. If I want trumpet or violin, I'd find a trumpet or violin player and so on. But who knows, they are claiming it will have a VA engine... so I'm still interested in what it can do. I'd be fun to use those "SuperNATURAL" sounds as an oscillator and modulate the hell out of them.

• Members

Some people just can't be satisfied :poke: At least it has full sized keys...

So the new trend is performance synths instead of workstations?

Remember what ''The Audacity Works'' said about Roland a few months back, there next big synth will not have a sequencer. I suspect he was booked in the other Hotel room at NAMM listening in ... LOL

Anyway, this is now and even Roland will not know what they may end up making in future. You can be sure the lessons they will learn and the extra power they have in future to play with will allow a Fantom with full supernatural sounds... If they bother or not, no one really knows...

• Members

Remember what ''The Audacity Works'' said about Roland a few months back, there next big synth will not have a sequencer. I suspect he was booked in the other Hotel room at NAMM listening in ... LOL

I said that? At the time, I had no idea if there was a sequencer or not. Didn't know what it looked like either. Heard rumors though.

Maybe I was talking about the Juno-Gi?

• Members

I said that? At the time, I had no idea if there was a sequencer or not. Didn't know what it looked like either. Heard rumors though.

Maybe I was talking about the Juno-Gi?

LOL ... take some credit man ....

• Members

With only a Upper, Lower and Solo section and 76 keys I believe this board is aimed at the live keyboardist crowd.

I was thinking of possibly retiring my VK-8+JV1010 next year and getting one of the big announcements here for live work. Seems like the next generation is hitting now. This Jupiter-80 announcement doesn't seem to change my thoughts.

If I wanted a more programmable-type work station with a killer soundset, the Kronos looks a lot better at first glance with its multiple synthesizer engines -- including some modeling engines, also a very competent synthesis section for analog stuff.

If I want more performance oriented (from a quick access point of view), that would lean me towards the Nord Stage 2 -- not as deep as the Kronos in some respects (no acoustic modeling for instance), but (at first glance) seemingly quicker control, with good stuff where it counts (the piano finally sounds decent, B3s and EPs are great, etc.).

Jupiter-80 seems to lack the performance and also lack the Kronos's synthesis depth. I think the only thing that good put this announcement on my radar is *if* Roland could make synth brass sound good. I'm extremely skeptical of that, I've heard very few convincing brass sounds from a synthesizer ever. It's also not what I tend to use on stage, B3 and piano are by far the heaviest hitters.

• Members

I was thinking of possibly retiring my VK-8+JV1010 next year and getting one of the big announcements here for live work. Seems like the next generation is hitting now. This Jupiter-80 announcement doesn't seem to change my thoughts.

If I wanted a more programmable-type work station with a killer soundset, the Kronos looks a lot better at first glance with its multiple synthesizer engines -- including some modeling engines, also a very competent synthesis section for analog stuff.

If I want more performance oriented (from a quick access point of view), that would lean me towards the Nord Stage 2 -- not as deep as the Kronos in some respects (no acoustic modeling for instance), but (at first glance) seemingly quicker control, with good stuff where it counts (the piano finally sounds decent, B3s and EPs are great, etc.).

Jupiter-80 seems to lack the performance and also lack the Kronos's synthesis depth. I think the only thing that good put this announcement on my radar is *if* Roland could make synth brass sound good. I'm extremely skeptical of that, I've heard very few convincing brass sounds from a synthesizer ever. It's also not what I tend to use on stage, B3 and piano are by far the heaviest hitters.

We do not have the full spec but it appears the new Roland does more modelling than the KRONOS. Too early to comment of much else so wait till the specs out...

• Members

Artemiy of Roland Clan Site Admin, wrote:

''According to what I worked with, it's synth section is a copy of SH-01, and if we compare it to the Fantom-G or even Fantom-X, it is less powerful, although not by much. 3 tones instead of 4, one LFO per tone instead of two, less LFO shapes (no step LFO). However, the rest is the same, and it's wrapped in a much more user-friendly interface, which should help more people exploit the synth's potential.''

• Members

Well, that really sucks. You have no control of the pulse width (or spread) of the supersaw wave, because it is multisampled, net generated. If it was the SH-201 engine, that would be better.

I would like the SH201/JP8000 in a beefed up synth covered in nobs and sliders

• Members

I haven't read every post in this thread, but has anyone talked about the irony of a 'stage' or 'performance' synth that is focussed on natural sounds like drums? And upright bass?

I have been in some really awkward situations playing at church, where the only option was to play drums off a GM drum patch. That served it's purpose, but is that really what roland has in mind? Keyboard players filling in for drummer and bass players, and brass, and... you get the point. I can see a bunch of physical modeling stuff in a workstation, where you are writing a demo song or something but ... performance drums from a keyboard? Someone explain.

• Members

Well, that really sucks. You have no control of the pulse width (or spread) of the supersaw wave, because it is multisampled, net generated. If it was the SH-201 engine, that would be better.

The GAIA seems to be a development for the Jupiter-80's VA engine. Given the Jupiter-80 is aimed at the typical rompler user, the GAIA may suit better. Very simple patch layout and high poly to suit the keys.

A more focused VA is better off in a conventional knobby synth, although I assume you can assign knobs to live tweaking sound adjustment such as filter...

Archived