What will Roland's new synth be? Speculate here..

• Members

... but most people will stick with the presets like they always have.

If you use this statement regarding older VAs then why keep hoping that Roland will release a true JP-8000 replacement/killer. The JP-8000 and 8080 are very programmable synths and can produce great and useful sounds today. The best thing to do is not worry what will be released and instead focus on the tools available. All of my guitars are over 10 years old and I have no need to replace them for the newest versions. I will agree that romplers are always advancing sound wise and make sense to replace every few years.

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you use this statement regarding older VAs then why keep hoping that Roland will release a true JP-8000 replacement/killer.

I was referring to physical modeling in that statement. I don't think it's something the average user, let alone a gigging musician, is interested in. No doubt they'll make controlling essential settings easy, but I think it's overkill that drives up the cost of the hardware.

• Members

I personally don't see what the big to do is over physical modeling. It's supposed to be more lifelike than multisamples?

It can be. (Most of the time, it's modelling applied to multisamples anyways to make them sound more realistic.)

But, in my opinion, the direction on modeling has shifted to plugins -- where the film composer / soundtrack market happily gobbles them up. Go to, say, Wallander Instruments' page (modeled brass VST), and the artist endorsements are all from TV and film scorers. That's telling in where the market is for modelling. I'm not sure modelling in a keyboard package is as desired these days. Keyboards are now more for performance, and I need performance controls far more than ultra-realism live, personally. That's just my opinion, maybe Roland sees something I don't.

• Members

I personally don't see what the big to do is over physical modeling. It's supposed to be more lifelike than multisamples?

Of course, there are things you just can't do with samples. Then there are things that require huge amount of samples to sound anything good. Finally there is the matter of customization, which is much greater. PM will feel way more like an instrument, especially when you consider that a lot of romplers have only 1 sample per instrument, that is not even anywhere close enough to capture the feel.

Way I see this going is that in future these keyboards will be just great midi controllers with lots of software bundled. Korg's yamahas and kurzweil's will make virtual versions out of their stuff and will also be selling that.

Roland on the other hand...

• Members

It can be. (Most of the time, it's modelling applied to multisamples anyways to make them sound more realistic.)

But, in my opinion, the direction on modeling has shifted to plugins -- where the film composer / soundtrack market happily gobbles them up. Go to, say, Wallander Instruments' page (modeled brass VST), and the artist endorsements are all from TV and film scorers. That's telling in where the market is for modelling. I'm not sure modelling in a keyboard package is as desired these days. Keyboards are now more for performance, and I need performance controls far more than ultra-realism live, personally. That's just my opinion, maybe Roland sees something I don't.

:thu: that's exactly what I was trying to say.

• Members

I will say it again, agree with everyone re a proper knobby successor to the real VA's and as some of us would also love Roland getting back into RA's ! Could that be why they are not doing traditional VA's do they have an RA coming... Oh I can dream... LOL

I am still stunned how even after the Juno's going digital that the Roland naming is still, even when explained, unacceptable.. I guess it's an emotional attachment thing.. They need to bring out a stress doll of the Roland boss, it would sell well me thinks .. LOL

japanese-sexdolls.jpg

• Members

Bernard is a roland employee?
:lol:
Nah, he usually bumps up all the new gear threads...

I pick K2500x, clever disguise name.

Well, the countdown is coming to a close. DAY after tomorrow, is the day of reckoning.

There are many other brands there that may surprise us nord, alesis, waldorf... etc. If Roland fails us again, maybe all is not lost.

LOL

• Members

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2011/04/new-roland-jupiter-80-pics-leaked.html?showComment=1301935880583#c4025314737229362859

For those of you just joining us now.. if true, and the source claims it's a leaked ad from an upcoming keyboard magazine, it looks like it's some sort of stage piano as the post says. Note the hyperbole around the jupiter name. they did the same with recycling the juno name as well.

• Members

...it looks like it's some sort of stage piano as the post says. Note the hyperbole around the jupiter name. they did the same with recycling the juno name as well.

The article in your link not only explains what Jupiter-80 is, but why it's named "Jupiter".

1. It's obviously not a stage piano.

2. Jupiter and Juno have never meant "vintage analog synth", just like Craigslist has never meant "Site for hiring prostitutes." Maybe it's an east/west cultural thing, and Roland wants to capture the original goal of the Jupiter (Mr. Kakehashi: "most forward-thinking synth") and not what you or I imagine a Jupiter should be. Maybe that's an unwise move on their part

• Members

I am starting to wonder myself now...

You found the only comment praising the synth in the internetz, and just had to share it
:lol:

And even that is coming from yamaha forum and complaining about some preset sounds, how unsurprising.

I am just posting balance... we have yet to hear this synth, it could be a load of poop or it may OK or it may be stunning .. I am willing to give it a chance... Sound matters and peoples tastes differ ... I don't see many praising the SH-201 but CR loves his (he must work for Roland ... LOL)

• Members

Artemiy wrote:

''The thing is, Nord's synth engine is much more capable than the one in Jupiter-80, so that makes it a better "synthesizer" actually. But anyways I think Roland's advantage might be in the acoustic sounds and their articulation modeling.''

• Members

The article in your link not only explains what Jupiter-80
is
, but why it's named "Jupiter".

1. It's obviously not a stage piano.

2. Jupiter and Juno have never meant "vintage analog synth", just like Craigslist has never meant "Site for hiring prostitutes." Maybe it's an east/west cultural thing, and Roland wants to capture the original goal of the Jupiter (Mr. Kakehashi: "most forward-thinking synth") and not what you or I imagine a Jupiter
should
be. Maybe that's an unwise move on their part

• Members

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm basing my expectations on what the Jupiter, so far, has always been in its 30 year run. My JX-10 Super Jupiter w/PG800 is a flagship polyphonic analog synth. My JP-8080 is a polyphonic VA synth -- Roland's flagship programmable synth of its era. The original Jupiter 8 was the flagship polyphonic analog synth that started it all.

Since when was the JX10 called "Super Jupiter"? That is the MKS-80. The JX10 was called "Super JX". :cop:

Archived