What will Roland's new synth be? Speculate here..

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think Roland is attempting to cash in or mislead the public in any way

I'll give you the cheap / looking ahead analogy. But why then do they look the same if they aren't trying to cash in on the hip retro thing? Why call it the 80 instead of the 9 if they aren't trying to play on the Jupiter 8 name itself? I think it's a little bit of column A and a little bit of column 2.

Roland-Juno-106.jpg

JunoGi-xlarge.jpg

I mean really, who the {censored} wouldn't feel stupid playing one of these if they weren't wearing Adidas sneakers? Considering the target audience was gigging professionals and beginners, WTF do I know..:lol:

The most important thing to consider is that when Roland first designed the Jupiter-4, they were attempting to accurately emulate acoustic instruments the best they knew how, given the current state of technology in 1978.

I don't disagree with that at all. But given that everyone dumped them for the DX7 when it came along and then the increase and proliferation of rompler technology and now physical modeling, it's obvious traditional VA isn't really at the forefront of their mindset. Again, what I don't understand is what use emulating an entire orchestra is outside of a studio environment. That is if this is a gig board and if it's based on physical modeling as we've been speculating. :idk: I dont see the kronos or the oaysys being a stage instrument myself..

• Members

From the descriptions so far, it sounds a lot more like a successor to the Korg Z1... multiple modeling engines in a keyboard with a few knobs. Great for gigging and sound design.

If the Z1 didn't already exist, I'd think this was a brave new step away from the ROMpler to a new breed of model-based instruments. I'm liking this direction away from samples to more organic sounding emulations from Korg and Roland.

I wonder if we'd be seeing the same gnashing of teeth if this was called the Korg Z2 ?? Just sayin'.

Can't wait to hear it!

• Members
But why then do they look the same if they aren't trying to cash in on the hip retro thing? Why call it the 80 instead of the 9 if they aren't trying to play on the Jupiter 8 name itself? I think it's a little bit of column A and a little bit of column 2.

Perhaps. I was given a reason for the number, and if you search my posts in this thread, you'll figure it out (probably already said too much).

I mean really, who the {censored} wouldn't feel stupid playing one of these if they weren't wearing Adidas sneakers? Considering the target audience was gigging professionals and beginners, WTF do I know..
:lol:

It's no Virus TI, that's for sure. But thankfully, it's also no M3 or

• Members

Again, what I don't understand is what use emulating an entire orchestra is outside of a studio environment. That is if this is a gig board and if it's based on physical modeling as we've been speculating.

Regarding Physical Modeling. Before romplers playing the original instruments like analog synths, organs and acoustic or electric pianos in live bands was standard. After romplers came out a lot of keyboard players decided okay samples were good enough for live use. Sure weight was a factor but, the fact remains they decided to compromise. Drummers, guitarist, string / horn players and Orchestras don't compromise so why should a band keyboardist anymore? When a keyboardist is in a band with live instruments like drums, guitars and horns needs to cover strings parts and they sound fake he becomes the weak link no matter how good he plays.

• Members

Jupiter 80, Oh no you didn't did you.

I have never known any company to miss the point so completely and consistently, how do they do it?

The first piece of equipment I ever bought was an MC303, I trusted the Roland brand stupidly beliveing this would be capable of producing the iconic 303 sound that I loved at the time. I couldn't have been more wrong. It didn't attempt to emulate the original TB at all, all the synth section was sample based and to be completely honest, very poor indeed. That was the first and last time I let Roland pull their skanky wool over my eyes.

Since then I have seen countless more abominations from the Roland stable, notably the recent Juno range - how can they possibly justify branding these turkeys with the Juno stamp? It is an absolute insult to the original series which I'm sure most people regard as a classic of it's time. It's obvious that there is not much 'imagination' at Roland these days but you would think they could at least think of a new naming strategy. The truth is blatantly apparent, all this is is an attempt to cash in on the good name they used to have. Why would they choose to do that? Surely the quick return they may get from these can't be worth completely ruining the entire brand? Apparently not.

Well now the Jupiter 80 is on the horizon and to be honest from what I have seen it couldn't look worse. I'm sure it sounds just like every other Roland synth on the market and if the SH01 is anything to go by it will be missing a whole load of parameters that you would expect to see on any other synth at this price point (Access Virus TI for example).

What are you going to do in a decade Roland when your name is mud and you've used up all the names from your succesful back catalouge? I look forward to that day.

I've heard of shooting yourself in the foot, but in the genitals?

Rather you than me Roland you fools

• Members

The audience isn't going to know if it's multi velocity sampled or physically modeled.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. What about yourself, your band mates and other musicians in the audience? Here's an example. Let's take Marshall amp, Line 6 Spider and a Behringer V-Amp. If a guitarist is looking for a classic Marshall sound then a Plexi or JMP-1 is going to get them there. The Line 6 sounds good but, not as good as the Marshall. The V-Amp is just a piss poor emulation. The guitarist is going to get into there playing the best with the right amp for the job. Using this analogy why wouldn't a keyboardist benefit from the best sounds available?

• Members

On the whole, those are allot cheaper than a 3k keyboard, if you bought each new model that came out every year :lol: I think in general, you just need to buy the best you can and get your use out of it before moving on.

But on the other hand, the audience doesn't care either. My JBL EONs I use for work are getting pretty shagged out now and I can tell. I just set one up for luau party and I thought they sounded like {censored} and I was prepared to bring out my back up PA and this girl hooks up her ipod and says "they sound great". :lol:

• Members

This is exactly what I'm talking about. What about yourself, your band mates and other musicians in the audience? Here's an example. Let's take Marshall amp, Line 6 Spider and a Behringer V-Amp. If a guitarist is looking for a classic Marshall sound then a Plexi or JMP-1 is going to get them there. The Line 6 sounds good but, not as good as the Marshall. The V-Amp is just a piss poor emulation. The guitarist is going to get into there playing the best with the right amp for the job. Using this analogy why wouldn't a keyboardist benefit from the best sounds available?

One factor I can think of is that the pay for a gigging musician is piss poor these days. Back in the 1980s, some bands could get $600 a gig (or $1600 in today's money). Now, some bands can also get $600 a gig... if they are lucky. There are exceptions to that rule, of course, but generally the pay for bands is much lower than it used to be. So, more than ever, if you're talking pure ROI, if the audience doesn't care about modelling, why should you?

From a part time / hobbyist factor (meaning music is a money pit :lol:), there are a few important sounds for a keyboardist. Piano. Organs. Electric piano. Synthetic sounds like Moog leads and pads. How many times are you, as a keyboardist, called on for a ultra-realistic upright bass? Try never.

Brass is the one area where, if Roland gets it right (I'm skeptical), I can see people using live. Because most sampled brass is cheese, and there are times in a band when for some reason you're expected to emulate horn sections or sax solos (ugh). Still, the VL-1 did a bang-up job of sax with a breath controller a *long* time ago, and I didn't see that appear in most people's live rigs.

• Members

One factor I can think of is that the pay for a gigging musician is piss poor these days. Back in the 1980s, some bands could get $600 a gig (or $1600 in today's money). Now, some bands can also get $600 a gig... if they are lucky. There are exceptions to that rule, of course, but generally the pay for bands is much lower than it used to be. So, more than ever, if you're talking pure ROI, if the audience doesn't care about modelling, why should you?

From a part time / hobbyist factor (meaning music is a money pit
:lol:
), there are a few important sounds for a keyboardist. Piano. Organs. Electric piano. Synthetic sounds like Moog leads and pads. How many times are you, as a keyboardist, called on for a ultra-realistic upright bass? Try never.

Brass is the one area where, if Roland gets it right (I'm skeptical), I can see people using live. Because most sampled brass is cheese, and there are times in a band when for some reason you're expected to emulate horn sections or sax solos (ugh). Still, the VL-1 did a bang-up job of sax with a breath controller a *long* time ago, and I didn't see that appear in most people's live rigs.

Excellent post bud :thu:

Archived