What will Roland's new synth be? Speculate here..

• Members

Remember how strange the AP synthesis was on the V-Synth GT in the sence why on a VA... well apart from the more obvious ARX - Supernatural connection, it seems this is the ultimate progression of those technologies. I wonder how many patches or potential for variety as it was very limited on the GT

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This thing is ugly, has hardly any knobs and buttons, doesn't have the nice big sexy Kronos touchscreen, and apparently is a glorified rompler without a sequencer.

Do not want.

It seems like some fanboys would buy a pile of manure if it had Roland written on it, even if it cost 3000 dollars.

• Members

This thing is ugly, has hardly any knobs and buttons, doesn't have the nice big sexy Kronos touchscreen, and apparently is a glorified rompler without a sequencer.

Do not want.

It seems like some fanboys would buy a pile of manure if it had Roland written on it, even if it cost 3000 dollars.

:mad:GET OUT !!! :mad:

:lol:

• Members

It kind of looks like a joke, doesn't it? :lol: But I'm afraid it's too Roland-like to be a joke.

I'm sure this thing will be DEEP in editing options. I'm also sure the interface is going to hinder edits :lol:

As I said in another forum, even the Blofeld seems to have a more hands-on interface than this.

• Members

It kind of looks like a repackaged Juno-G. The colored buttons look like instrument banks, then at the bottom there's patch banks? That's awkward. I see a song player/recorder off to the side, but then the article states there's no sequencer? The sliders are color coordinated with both the instrument banks and sections of the digital menu, which might make editing slightly better than it looks. Assuming this will have a three oscillator VA engine built inside, the Korg R3 has just four knobs and it's more tolerable to edit than the Micron.

It's saving grace would be a sequencer, being able to use those colored buttons for step programming (like the Grooveboxes), then some extra knobs and sliders off to the right for better VA control. Better have some damn TR samples in there too.

• Members

From an economy-perspective it has less knobage, physical substance but with software advances that get better and cheaper. It uses everything physical that Roland already had before. The only thing that looks propriety to this synth is the 4 knobs below the screen. They are higher up on the bezel than on the V-Synth GT.

The V-Synth GT will probably remain the flagship Roland synth (hence the rise and prices), the Fantom G models remain the workstation class for a tad longer and the Jupiter-80 fills in the performance synth. It's really repackaged upper-end Juno. It really is what the cheap Junos of today should be as far as build quality minus the touch screen.

I really hope this is a fake.

The best analogy I can use is that it's like a decent looking girl before you get with her, then you realize she isn't all that after you have her. She looks best from the back and sides... but she doesn't have the face for longevity. I'm trying really hard to see her more sexy and I am so disappointed she doesn't have the sexy V-Synth face and body.

• Members

Hai Guyz - Hate to spoil the fun, but here's the deal. For starters, the Keyboard piece is copyrighted material and was used without permission. Second, information about the keyboard was released by Roland to the press under the conditions of an embargo until the beginning of Messe, as is common with new gear introductions. Although this isn't my forum, Harmony Central believes in respecting copyrights and honoring embargoes, so I've deleted the images of the page that were posted.

However, as compensation :), I've now confirmed an appointment with Roland for the first day of the show so I can shoot a video for HC's show coverage. With any luck, the video will be up Wednesday night, Frankfurt time...photos before then, on our Flickr page.

BTW here's the trailer for our coverage:

[video=youtube;_oFKD5sNSek]

• Members

So the future of synthesis (according to the people behind the Jupiter-80) is that good synthesizers sound exactly like the acoustic instruments they are modelling. The Roland Jupiter-80 will sound exactly like a piano, or guitar, or whatever. Suppose that Korg and Nord and Yamaha and Kurzweil and the others agree. Then a Yamaha will sound exactly like a piano, or guitar, or whatever So in this world all the best synthesizers will sound exactly like each other.

Let's hope you can still get cheap Casios, so you can sound different if you want to :-)

• Members

So the future of synthesis (according to the people behind the Jupiter-80) is that good synthesizers sound exactly like the acoustic instruments they are modelling. The Roland Jupiter-80 will sound exactly like a piano, or guitar, or whatever. Suppose that Korg and Nord and Yamaha and Kurzweil and the others agree. Then a Yamaha will sound exactly like a piano, or guitar, or whatever So in this world all the best synthesizers will sound exactly like each other.

Let's hope you can still get cheap Casios, so you can sound different if you want to :-)

"Expressive playing" is not solely the province of acoustic instruments. I don't think that violates any embargo, it's a general observation :)

• Members

My issue is this.

Given what the KRONOS can offer and just watch Rich's latest video at Kraft Music on you-tube and you will see. The KRONOS is an amazing keyboard once you know all of what they have put in there. I won't even mention all the incredible goodies to help with it's UI.

Which brings me to my issue. KRONOS 61 key is $3000.00 US, fair price. Jupiter80 is 3-4 G's US? I know the Super Natural stuff is pricey, just take a look at their other products. But I don't think that people find ARX, Super Natural, AI or whatever that is called, AP, and all the other new V-synth stuff worth it. The V-Synth GT was way over priced and a travesty with it's (2 V-synths in one) crap. Yeah and minus the cool stuff that made original V-synth a Roland staple.

Bottom Line Jupiter80 should be $3,000 tops or they are jsut ripping us off; and we will buy it like the needy little addicts we are. Fook that Roland!!! Be nice and fair to your customers and fans for once.

• Members

Nice and colorful. You always can still see the pics on GL.

Anyway, I doubt that I will buy a synth with 4 knobs and 4 sliders only. That doesn't work for me anymore.

Let's hope Access has something in store...!

• Members

I think this product is going to bring Roland's synth/workstation line closer to the RD stage piano category ... Great sounds with an interface that favors live musicians and/or those who don't care about using a computer to complete the package ... It may be be fully editable via the touchscreen -- similar to V-Synth XT and it's more limited interface -- but that's not the main focus here ...

Unless Roland thinks the ARX synthesis scheme is bollucks, you're going to see more sections -- string modelling, etc. -- built in and/or with the Jupiter-80 shipping with enough horsepower to add the sections later on via thumb drive (which is fine, but I'd be wary of how much Roland says or implies it will deliver after the fact ... Fan-G failed pretty badly in that category ... ) Of course, it will have Fan-G style S+S, I'm sure, as well ...

It would also be nice if Jupiter-80 came with a new semi-weighted keybed with a more usable aftertouch ...

If this is a success for Roland, I can see them getting back into the workstation market by adding sampling and a sequencer as well as trickling down the synth section(s) to something with a full physical editing interface a la Gaia but perhaps a little tonier ...

Archived