Amps/Gear you thought....didn't live up to their hype....

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

JCM800.

Sure it's good and all but not what people make it out to be.

Edit: Also, EMG pickups. Back when I played metal I thought they would be perfect high output humbuckers for my guitar. Truth be told I thought they sounded like muddy ass and there were so many other passive pickups that did a better job.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Only reason I'd buy an MIA is for some of those exclusive colors and such.

As for the neck, I'd rather pay $400 for a brand new MIM Tele and take it to a luthier and pay $150 to get the neck re-shaped to MIA specs.

I paid $600 used and got a solid ash body and the vintage logo. :thu:

• Members

I'll start:

Orange AD30.

go.
:wave:

Digitech GSP-21 back in 1989-90. Everyone acted like it was the second coming. Decent FX, an improvement on the distortion, nothing major. I sent it back and had my money refunded. They wanted about $659 bucks for it, and I expected a hell of a lot more (beginning of my hate for digitech). Then I got an ADA MP-1 used for like 300 bucks. Had it ever since.

• Members

Every Mesa Boogie amp ever made.

Not saying they're bad, but God's own amp couldn't match their ad campaigns.

+1...and I'm a very faithful Mesa guy.

In particular the Road King I + II, which simply are not the do-it-all amps they claim they are. Great sounding rectos with a better clean and a few extra tones...but rectos none the less.

My other picks:

PRS guitars

Two Rock Amps (and most other Dumble clones except the Carol Ann)

Trainwrecks and clones (sorry...don't like that sound)

• Members

In particular the Road King I + II, which simply are not the do-it-all amps they claim they are. Great sounding rectos with a better clean and a few extra tones...but rectos none the less.

My other picks:

PRS guitars

Two Rock Amps (and most other Dumble clones except the Carol Ann)

I got a perma ban on TGP for getting in an argument over some guy's dumble ODS clip. It didnt sound $55,000 worth

• Members

how come you don't like trainwrecks-- too outa control?

damn-- of what i've heard, i'd throw my mesa under a train to get a trainwreck... horrible pun intended...

• Members

I'll start:

Orange AD30.

go.
:wave:

It seems to me that there are a few of different factors at play here:

1. Quality

2. Price/Affordability

3. Frame of reference of the users, to compare and arrive at true benchmark qualifiers. In other words- Compromise is not in their vocabulary, vs good enough= the bomb.

4. The owner/users goal (Basement hobbiest, weekend warrior, collector, Cover band player, touring pro, session pro etc...)

5. Taste/Preference: Some guys just have a tin ear, and when that is coupled by their taste/preference being ridiculous well... you get the idea

It's been my observation that there are far more guys who buy stuff based on marketing hype, and internet Forum popularity/hype- than guys who REALLY "understand" the available Tools of the trade, and how to effectively utilize them, because they have actual hands on experience with them. It is for this reason why I believe so many guys freak out over many products, as though they've happened upon the "Holy Grail" pardon the pun... I wasn't referring to the lame reverb pedal.

I hear guys talking about buzz words and phrases like True Bypass, Buffers, Series, Parallel, Series//Parallel, tone suckage, ground loops etc... and after discussing the issues with them it becomes painfully clear that they haven't got a freaking clue as to what they're talking about, but because they are aware of the topic they fancy themselves experts of course without any actual experience.

Archived