Amps/Gear you thought....didn't live up to their hype....

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This MIM vs MIA thing is hilarious. MIM feel like cheap plastic strats in comparison.
:lol:

I don't think so......I had a Standard Tele that I should have never traded......best tele I've ever played. :idk:

I like some of the MIA strats.....it was one of my first "real" guitars....but I don't think a MIM is all that bad. I would swap the pickups...but that's about it.

• Members

Every Mesa Boogie amp ever made.

Not saying they're bad, but God's own amp couldn't match their ad campaigns.

+1

good amps? definitely

overrated and overpriced? definitely

• Members

The MIM Deluxe stuff is totally OK. Don't know if they make it in Shea-handed, though.
:rawk:

This is one topic I will never agree with you bastards on. :D

Seriously though, The MIM is ok but its not on a part with a decent MIA IMO. Not that there arent MIA dogs out there.. But MIA is superior feeling to me.

Id take an MIJ over an MIM. :idk:

• Members

I am pretty much with you on this one. I have only played a small handful of PRS guitars that I actually liked, the rest... meh

I've liked many of the ones I've played as far as playability was concerned. But at the end of the day they don't have anything unique going for them tonewise. For the same amount of money I can get something that is in it's own universe as far as it's tone is concerned...and that's my primary bitch with PRS.

That said, I've long contemplated getting a 513 as a do-it-all guitar before.

• Members

I don't think so......I had a Standard Tele that I should have never traded......best tele I've ever played.
:idk:
I like some of the MIA strats.....it was one of my first "real" guitars....but I don't think a MIM is all that bad. I would swap the pickups...but that's about it.

Ha you've clearly never played a lefty squier/MIM Fender

• Members

This is one topic I will never agree with you bastards on.
:D

Seriously though, The MIM is ok but its not on a part with a decent MIA IMO. Not that there arent MIA dogs out there.. But MIA is superior feeling to me.

Id take an MIJ over an MIM.

If they were free or all the same price I'd take the MIAs too.:wave:

• Members

This is one topic I will never agree with you bastards on.
:D

Id take an MIJ over an MIM.

I had the honor of meeting Bill Frisell after a gig he did at a jazz guitar festival here in Illinois and asked him about his Tele Thinline he was playing. He said it was the best sounding and playing Tele he's ever owned (and he owns many).

Sure enough...it was a MIM Tele...a 2004 or something...totally stock. They guy can play whatever he wants and often does. Owns guitars that cost 25,000 bucks...and there he is up there with a 600 dollar MIM Tele. He let me play it...it was awesome.

bill-frisell.jpg

• Members

Ha you've clearly never played a
lefty
squier/MIM Fender

:lol::lol::lol:

They feel like ass. Its like they picked the cheapest wood they could possibly find for the neck. But Ive played a ton of righty MIM's that I thought were pretty mediocre.

Some of the best Strats Ive played were MIA Deluxes and Custom Shops though. I once played a 60's Relic in Lefty that blew my {censored}ing mind. I should have bought that guitar but I went with a 52 RI CS Tele.

• Members

I had the honor of meeting Bill Frisell after a gig he did at a jazz guitar festival here in Illinois and asked him about his Tele Thinline he was playing. He said it was the best sounding and playing Tele he's ever owned (and he owns many).

Sure enough...it was a MIM Tele...a 2004 or something...totally stock. They guy can play whatever he wants and often does. Owns guitars that cost 25,000 bucks...and there he is up there with a 600 dollar MIM Tele. He let me play it...it was awesome.

I saw him last summer and he wasnt using an MIM. :p

Still though, of course its possible there are decent MIM's. Clay FInley has one thats pretty nice IIRC. But there are a lot of {censored}astic ones too.

• Members

I've liked many of the ones I've played as far as playability was concerned. But at the end of the day they don't have anything unique going for them tonewise. For the same amount of money I can get something that is in it's own universe as far as it's tone is concerned...and that's my primary bitch with PRS.

That said, I've long contemplated getting a 513 as a do-it-all guitar before.

When I played Guthrie Govan's PRS

zachandguthrie.jpg

I thought it was KILLER, and a few others but on the whole, I am a snob, so there you have it. I have never really cared about where a guitar is made, or what the label says, it either plays and sounds great or it doesn't... Pretty straight forward. I don't care if it's $100, if it plays and sounds good, bring it on. :thu:

• Members

This MIM vs MIA thing is hilarious. MIM feel like cheap plastic strats in comparison.
:lol:

I've never played an amazing MIM strat, although the couple of deluxe players strats I played were well worth the $500 or so they cost. After getting my strat the poly finishes feel cheap to me though. If I was gonna get a sub $1k strat it would be one of the dimarzio series japanese ones, its probably cheaper than some of the upper end mim lines :freak:

Archived