Amps/Gear you thought....didn't live up to their hype....

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

the jcm 800.. honestly. you saw em through the entire 80's.. i thought they'd be great. everybody and their brother recorded with 'em-- so they HAD to be great right?

i played 'em when i was looking for my first head in the early 90s... and all i could think was 'why the {censored} would i want to sound exactly like everybody ELSE?!'..

• Members

MIA Fender guitars.....sure, they're nice.....but doesn't sound SOOOO much better that it warrants that large of price difference from MIMs.

I think that this is as much a tribute to how well the Mexis are made (QC issues aside).

• Members

Every Mesa Boogie amp ever made.

Not saying they're bad, but God's own amp couldn't match their ad campaigns.

I love my Mesa's, but I got to agree. I like them, more than most amps, but I find them falling short some days and the Mark series is a bitch to dial in if you don't own the amp for a while.

Other than that, I have yet to play a bogner amp that I think is worth paying for. VHT UL, though nice, didn't live up to the hype for me either. Not trying to say they're bad amps, but damn are they talked up and I just didn't get it. Gotta admit I loved the Uberkab and Fat Bottom cabs though.

• Members

MIA Fender guitars.....sure, they're nice.....but doesn't sound SOOOO much better that it warrants that large of price difference from MIMs.

It aint the sound, its the playability IMO. Pretty big difference in feel between a MIM and a MIA IMO. Then again Im a strat whore. :p

• Members

Boss NS/2 (Decimator makes this its bitch)

Engl Fireball (Fantastic at low volumes, with a band turns thin, crispy, brittle, etc...)

EMG 81 (Sucks copious amounts of ass with it's piercing, pain-inducing treble)

• Members

the jcm 800.. honestly. you saw em through the entire 80's.. i thought they'd be great. everybody and their brother recorded with 'em-- so they HAD to be great right?

i played 'em when i was looking for my first head in the early 90s... and all i could think was 'why the {censored} would i want to sound exactly like everybody ELSE?!'..

I find Marshall is very inconsistent. My friend Mike had a JCM 800 with a tone to die for. My friend Brad got one, along with another friend. Theirs both sucked wind.

• Members

I have a killer MIA, but I've played some really good MIM ones, as well.

Only reason I'd buy an MIA is for some of those exclusive colors and such.

As for the neck, I'd rather pay $400 for a brand new MIM Tele and take it to a luthier and pay $150 to get the neck re-shaped to MIA specs.

Archived