Why Do You Need More Than 15 Watts?

Stonedtone

• Members

Based on my rudimentary knowledge of physics:

High frequency sounds are easy to make with a watch battery as a power source. They carry very little energy

Low frequency sounds need more power because they carry lots of energy, can pass through walls and move small objects around the coffee table.

A 15 watt amp might be perceived as "half as loud" as a 150 watt amp according to the internets and people who hear them cranked and think "ouch my frikkin ears" but its not the same through the entire frequency spectrum.

It mainly depends on what the band is trying to do musically, whether there is a bass player present, etc.

That's my hypothesis anyway. Not trying to trash anyone's way of doing things. I don't even own a large amp, and have never played in front of an audience. Not sure why I'm even in this thread, except I find the low watt-high watt threads irresistable for some reason.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I use a 100 watt NMV Marshall pinned almost flat out into two 4x12 cabs so I can hear over my drummer who hits his oak kit like a gorilla using 2B sticks, rides as crash cymbals, and a 14" rack tom.

Oh and my bass player who cranks a Mesa 400+ (500 watt tube amp) into an 8x10 cabinet.

Clubs let us play. I've met way more sound guys who are willing to make it work than pissy ones who like to argue.

My little 15W has been deemed to loud at many clubs. We always had to care for the volume. Lost some gigs because of that

• Members

My little 15W has been deemed to loud at many clubs. We always had to care for the volume. Lost some gigs because of that

I feel sorry for you then, sounds like there aren't many fun places to play where you are.

The times I have run into the "it's not my band but I must have complete control of your sound" sound guys, I've either resolved it by telling him to just leave my guitar out of the mix, or I set up my cabs facing backward. But, like I said, these scenarios are rare.

• Members
Why Do You Need More Than 15 Watts?

:lol:

Not this inferiority complex crap again?

Newsflash: a 15W EL84 amp does not fulfil the tonal requirements of every player!

Are you even aware that a pair of EL34s in AB1 push-pull configuration (i.e one of the bog standard amp setups) is essentially going to give you 50W output as a natural consequence of the EL34 design? :facepalm:

That's basic {censored}, mate...

• Members

just to chime in ... if i'm playing something requiring really clean - i run my Lone Star Classic on 100 watt setting. LOUD. not so clean, i run one of my Mark IIIs ... the 1x12 i love on the 15 watt setting. the other one running at 25 watts is pretty sweet ... then i start adding SPEAKERS. 1x12, 2x12, 4x12 .... i will melt your face off with my Mark III on full power up strong on a 4x12 of c90/evm-12l ...

horses for courses. and personally, if i never turned my amp up from 2 on the 15 watt setting ... i'd cry. i run my 2x12 for a bedroom setting just to get some Effects. i firmly believe if it's too loud you are too old. firmly.

• Members

These threads are so TGP-esque. "I have no problem playing with my 50 somethings bluzak cover band at backyard parties at please don't yell at me again, wifey volumes, therefore all of you guys using more than 15 watts are stupid."

CSB.

Seriously.

I have seen metal bands in tiny-ass restaurant/bars with one PA speaker for vox and two guitarists with 5150 and DSL full-stacks with the volumes cranked (not dimed, but still cranked very high) and there is no way it was "too loud."

• Members

15W that's a {censored}ing practise amp. I use a 30W for practise at home. I doubt the OP plays in a band, because anyone who plays with a drummer knows that 15W aint enough, it will get completely drowned by the drums. Maybe the OP is just trolling though. :confused:

• Members

15W that's a {censored}ing practise amp. I use a 30W for practise at home. I doubt the OP plays in a band, because anyone who plays with a drummer knows that 15W aint enough, it will get completely drowned by the drums. Maybe the OP is just trolling though.
:confused:

15 watts, used as a guitar amp, won't get buried by a drummer. ain't so. do it all the time. don't get buried. even with a rock drummer. you just don't get giant bass. so you let the bass player play bass.

• Members

I did not read the thread .... it belongs over at TGP. People over there love talking about this nonsense.

Watt's is not dB's. Putting number of "watts" on your needs means you do not understand this.

100 watts is not much more dB's than 15 watts. They do behave very different but if everything else is exactly the same except the amp the dB's are not going to be much different. Not everyone likes poweramp overdrive. Not everyone wants a bigger cleaner poweramp. This is only taste. Taste is a personal thing and there is no right or wrong.

I have done gigs with 5 watts (Fender Champ) all the way up to 500 watts (Mesa Tremoverb and Strategy 500). They all sound and behave different. What I use and bring to a gig very much depends on the material being played and needs for the sounds I will be using at that gig.

What you want and need to do the gigs you do has nothing to do with what others are doing. Telling other people you are right and they are wrong makes you look like you have little experience in life. It is never ever that simple...:p

• Members

I'll keep my 120 watter and 4x12, thanks. At every gig we've played, I've had the master set between 3-4 which is loud and no ones complaining. I also benefit from the fact that the 5150 doesn't need a ton of volume to sound crushing due to the pre-amp gain. I have nothing against low-watt amps, especially when playing bars or smaller places, or for home jamming, but when we're playing metal in front of at least 100 people at every show(biggest I've played too was about 1000) I like the extra noise :p

Truthfully it's apples and oranges. Higher wattage amps respond drastically differently than low watt amps do. Some prefer the added headroom and some more volume, and others like to take there low watt amps and crank/push them as hard as they can go for the power amp distortion. There is no "better" between high and low watt amps.

Archived